E-Minor Shaped Blues Box - licks moveable different to different keys

What's Hot
Anyone help me out here to find this - I know it is basic enough to cause snorts of derision from some quarters? Im looking to find moveable position 1 (at least what I call position one using the Eminor shape on 6 strings as a template) blues scale box licks that are easily trasposed to by just moving the position to a different threat soley for the purpose of more thoroughly learning the scale. One of these things you see all the time until you try to find it. I only come up with this for the pentatonic (yes I know the blues scale IS almost the pentatonic, but I'd prefer the blue note to be defined). Hope this request does not get up the nose of proper musicians too much......
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post. All licks are moveable around the guitar, which is a great feature of the guitar as an instrument. Transposing licks, chords, scales involves you moving the shape of the licks, chords, scales up the appropriate amount of frets from your original key to your desired key. 

For example, if you know a lick that makes use of the E minor pentatonic box 1, you could use this lick in a G minor pentatonic box 1 by moving the lick up 3 frets. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Assuming you mean E blues scale licks using the open strings? 
    Essentially it's counting. So if the open string is 0 and the next note is at the 3rd fret you could move that from E to F by playing at the 1st and 4th fret. In F# by playing at the 2nd and 5th and so on.
    Not using the open strings will mean fingering ( stop sniggering) the shapes differently but they will be all the same except for your original open E shapes. As @Branshen says all licks are moveable which is what opens up the guitar as an instrument very quickly ( and means you can play some okay sounding stuff without really understanding it). 
    You could capo every time you want to change key and sometimes that's desirable ( Jimmie Vaughan for example uses a capo on some songs so he can access open string licks) but probably creates more problems than it solves as a way of learning. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    I would recommend Steve Khans pentatonic Khancepts book. 
  • First of all apologies for the mis-stating E-minor and poorly explaining everything else. Dont know why I wrote that. I just meant the E barre chord. I like that because it covers all strings. I know all box licks are movable. I just wanted to know if anyone can knew of a good online videos or other resources for blues box licks to try and reinforce scales and perhaps to try and apply a little basic theory that I have picked up too recently.
    Hi Mate,
    Justin Sandercoe has lots of stuff on youtube which you may find very useful. He covers all levels of playing. I'm sure he will have some vids on Blues and Barre chords etc..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJO said:
    Hi Mate,
    Justin Sandercoe has lots of stuff on youtube which you may find very useful. He covers all levels of playing. I'm sure he will have some vids on Blues and Barre chords etc..
    As in Justinguitar? Funny you mention him as I found a useful one from him and was hoping to find similar. I agree he is excellent.
    JAYJO said:
    Hi Mate,
    As in Justinguitar? Funny you mention him as I found a useful one from him and was hoping to find similar. I agree he is excellent.
    yes thats the fellow. Good Luck..