Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Waterproof jackets?

What's Hot
Need a new waterproof jacket for general use... and walking in the countryside in the pouring rain etc.  Don't mind spending a reasonable amount for something that's decent quality and able to give long service.  Probably something reasonably lightweight that can be worn over a fleece etc.

Any makes and models you guys can recommend?

Many thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I bought a Regatta recently that I'm really impressed with. Previously had a Berghaus with goretex paclite material which was far better but more expensive.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/regatta-mens-imber-ii-jacket-p407056

Both of these are lightweight, very waterproof, and can pack down small into a rucksack.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Get a Pantagonia , that way you don't look like a drip when wearing it around town.
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Paramo

/thread
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    I have a Lowe Alpine jacket that's close to 20 years old and still keeps the water out. You can also zip a fleece into it for added warmth. Excellent bit of kit. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    Barbour.......for provenance sake
     Belstaff for provenance and style
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    I have a north face and a musto both lightweight and equally good both were c£100. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Makes me look like a pensioner but my Regatta has been perfectly waterproof and they are fairly cheap if you go to one of their outlets. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalf said:
    I have a Lowe Alpine jacket that's close to 20 years old and still keeps the water out. You can also zip a fleece into it for added warmth. Excellent bit of kit. 
    My wife has a couple of Lowe Alpine jackets that have served her well. However, from what I can see, they don't appear to make jackets nowadays... just loads of different rucksacks etc.  :-(
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Go to Decathlon if you have one nearby, and they always have sales on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My job involves regular days of surveying ecosystems in all weathers... I've tested lots of different ones over the years. 

My main jacket is a Regatta. Solid, reliable & cheap enough that if it gets ripped/torn on barbed wire etc then work don't complain about replacing it. 
    https://i.imgur.com/5MZpLCS.jpg

It's not particularly stylish, but neither am I (I hate hoods, so wear a wide brimmed hat. Just waiting for Vogue to call). 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 879
    This is what I got for Christmas. £55 is £5 less than I paid. I just went out in the rain and it worked. Requires a fleece underneath when temperature approaches zero.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00F3R72NS
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited January 2019
    I have a Montane e-vent one i've had for 15 years and it's still going strong. Used it for everything - mountaineering, hiking, cycling and festivalling. Light weight, tough and very waterproof.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    I bought a Peter Storm Typhoon for work, I work outside all day in all weathers and it is really warm and totally waterproof.

• munckee said:
    I have a north face and a musto both lightweight and equally good both were c£100. 
    Yeah.....North Face for me too.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Burberry.
    But then, I'm a chav.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I've got one of those Drizabone Australian stockman coats that keeps the wind and rain out but doesn't make me all sweaty like some waterproofs.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    Arcteryx. 

I have both an Alpha and a Beta shell. They work very well. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    I have a British army goretex coat that got a couple of years ago for about £40 brand new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    My job involves regular days of surveying ecosystems in all weathers... I've tested lots of different ones over the years. 

My main jacket is a Regatta. Solid, reliable & cheap enough that if it gets ripped/torn on barbed wire etc then work don't complain about replacing it. 

It's not particularly stylish, but neither am I (I hate hoods, so wear a wide brimmed hat. Just waiting for Vogue to call). 

Very Montana Brokeback Mountain
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    My job involves regular days of surveying ecosystems in all weathers... I've tested lots of different ones over the years. 

Very Montana Brokeback Mountain
    Best comment on Facebook when I posted it- "Brokeback Van Helsing" 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom