The best archtop you've played?

What's Hot
I've recently been getting into some swing style jazz and have really enjoyed learning the basics. I've been using my tele to learn but it seems archtop guitars are far more well suited to this style. Now, due to the fact that I'm addicted to the GAS and believe that a new guitar will obviously take my playing skills from zero to hero, I'm now looking for one. Could anyone suggest their favourite archtops at whatever price bracket, I'm looking for as many ideas as possible.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited February 2019
    I love my Hofner 457 E2 - Had it for over 33 years now. Is so many sounds in one, but really it wants to Rock. Does a Gretsch White Falcon with ease too...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I'd never spend $30k on an instrument though.
    They look like this:

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Assuming current production, the best I’ve played off the top of my head....
    Under £1000 (new):
    Ibanez AF151
    Peerless Manhattan
    Eastman AR371

£1000-3000:
    Eastman T-49
    Dupont St Louis
    Ibanez GB100
    Peerless Leela

£3000 plus:
    Gibson Es175 59RI
    Gibson L5
    Dupont Bebop
    Benedetto Bravo

Vintage? I prefer an ES175 type guitar, personally, so if I were in the market for a great vintage archtop, I’d be looking there, possibly at a vintage Guild. 

What type of guitar are you looking for - solid wood, laminate? Floating pickup or set pickup? If you’re anywhere near me (Essex), you’re more than welcome to have a bash on my Dupont Bebop; I think it’s a great example of a no-frills high end 175 style guitar. 

• richhrichh Frets: 453
    If you can afford it, Gibson ES-175 or many other Gibson archtop variances.  If you can't afford or justify it, there are loads of great options out there from Ibanez, Yamaha, Epiphone, and so on.

Purely for jazz a big bodied archtop may be preferable, but something like an ES-335 would be far more versatile.  If you've not played a full size archtop before though, do bear in mind that it is quite different to playing a telecaster, especially in right hand / arm position, so it may take a bit of adjusting to.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDE said:
    Assuming current production, the best I’ve played off the top of my head....
    Under £1000 (new):
    Ibanez AF151
    Peerless Manhattan
    Eastman AR371

£1000-3000:
    Eastman T-49
    Dupont St Louis
    Ibanez GB100
    Peerless Leela

£3000 plus:
    Gibson Es175 59RI
    Gibson L5
    Dupont Bebop
    Benedetto Bravo

Vintage? I prefer an ES175 type guitar, personally, so if I were in the market for a great vintage archtop, I’d be looking there, possibly at a vintage Guild. 

What type of guitar are you looking for - solid wood, laminate? Floating pickup or set pickup? If you’re anywhere near me (Essex), you’re more than welcome to have a bash on my Dupont Bebop; I think it’s a great example of a no-frills high end 175 style guitar. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. My interest was piqued when I saw this video of Frank Stallone playing an Epiphone Emperor in Norm's... 

Obviously I couldn't afford that but something similar in around the £1000 - £3000 category would be ideal.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Loar is the “budget” (£800-1000ish) Acoustic Archtop of choice. I’ve had a couple and they’ve been ok, although I would only personally go for either an LH600 (see Thomann) or an LH700 (which is now discontinued in Europe, I think). If buying new, factor in some kind of setup. Both of mine only needed minor work but there’s a lot of horror stories online (the Internet!!). 

A better instrument would probably be an acoustic Eastman - a 605 or 805. Don’t have the growl of a vintage Epi or L5 as they’re more built in the Benedetto style but nice to play. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    My Roger Sadowsky Jim Hall model, it is a replica of Jim Hall's ageing D'Aquisto - it was cheaper than an ES 175 when I got it - not true now though sadly.

There are smaller and bigger ones in his range
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 855
    I know of an awesome Ibanez L5 from 1977 for sale.  Hand carved top in blonde with lovely figured back.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I currently have a 1956 ES-175 (2 x P90) and that's one of the nicest that I've played. An Eastman AR580CE was also lovely, and at the lower end of the price scale, a Godin 5th Ave Kingpin, for 'older' style swing/blues stuff..

Call me Dave.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4284
    DB1 said:
    I currently have a 1956 ES-175 (2 x P90) and that's one of the nicest that I've played. .

I have exactly the same model/year, and it is epic. All vintage guitars are not magic, but this one definitely is, and I played a couple of other 50's P90 175's, which were also great, especially compared to the more modern versions.

• ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited February 2019
    Some really fine guitars being suggested...here's my contribution. A Martin/Dale Unger (American Archtop Co) CF1.

Long gone, sorely missed...every time I think of this guitar I shake my head and murmur under my breath.."you dopey f**ker"

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    Early Sixties Gibson ES-125CD, belonging to the previous owner of my Goldtop.

The only archtop I owned for any length of time was an early Eighties Guild X-170.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    I used to gig a '52 ES-295, so for me a laminate top dual P90 guitar is the way to go.

Other than bragging rights I really see very little point in a delicate solid spruce top electric jazz guitar. 

I have a solid top acoustic archtop I've added a pickup to but it's a bit of a fight onstage for no real benefit. 

• My favourite guitar, a 1952 Gibson ES-300, it sounds deep, warm, bluesy and with flatwounds is the perfect jazz guitar (not that i’m much of a jazz player)
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4284
    Well, that's not too shabby is it eh?
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 284
    Left field suggestion: I see you’re not too far from Manchester. Well, in Sounds Great in Cheadle, they have a old Australian-made archtop hanging up in their quiet room, downstairs. It used to belong to a member of the Batchelors (a slightly corny vocal harmony group from the 60s). I think they are selling it on commission (I have no afilliation I hasten to add!).

Well, I have a play on this everytime I visit. The guitar has a kind of magic for me both in the asonishing playability and the sound. It’s quite expensive though which, along with the fact that it’s a little-known make, is no doubt why it’s been sitting there a good while. I’d buy it if I could afford it. It’s a pretty unique guitar.

Just a thought...
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Some really fine guitars being suggested...here's my contribution. A Martin/Dale Unger (American Archtop Co) CF1.

Those were really good. A chap I visited a few years ago had a lovely one... I was buying his '70s Fender Deluxe 8 lap steel. Don't 'pose that was you :)

Back on topic, my favourite acoustic archtops generally have been vintage Epiphones. A Deluxe and a Spartan particularly stick out. As for modern... the most memorable I've ever played was a Ken Parker, but that's over budget (by about x 20).  

The upcoming Waterloo archtops could be really interesting. Quick clip: bad phone recording.

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025

My favourite guitar, a 1952 Gibson ES-300, it sounds deep, warm, bluesy and with flatwounds is the perfect jazz guitar (not that i’m much of a jazz player)
    Lovely that, Jimmy - I have a 1948 single P90 version in mint condition, with original case. Lovely, lovely things. 
    Call me Dave.
  • I had a wonderful '69 L5 CES a few years ago... truly lovely..
  • I'm not sure what the best one is. I have never played a Gibson L7, but that's the style of guitar for classic jazz and definitely what I prefer.

Specifically: Fully hollowbody big box (16" or 17" lower bout)
    Strap pin anchored tailpiece and floating pickup & bridge to to minimise anything encroaching into the chamber.

I use one of these. Its a Hofner HCT-J17. Its Chinese and cheap. I looked to upgrade it last year and took it to Guitar Village (where I bought it for £500 four years ago). I tried out some similar specced Eastman AR605CE and Fibonacci models. They were great but I brought the Hofner back home.

Have fun trying a few out!

Flatwound strings help a lot too.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent