Kids Drum Kits

What's Hot
andypandyp Frets: 332
edited February 2019 in Other Instruments
Hi folks.

My younger son is coming up for 5 and is starting drum lessons tonight. He seems mad keen (but yes, he will do) and he's asked about getting his own drums. I was walking to the canteen at work and see that someone is selling a kids 5 piece kit the same as this one for £100. It comes with practice pads too and reviews etc. seem universally positive. I was at this stage with our older son (now 8) a couple of years ago and bought him a Mini Squier Strat and he's really loving playing guitar after 2 years... so our younger son sees him and wants to play along with him.

Is it crazy to be looking at buying a kit when he's not had any lessons yet? I don't think we will know if he's going to stick at it until we're maybe 3 months down the line, but this seems to be a good deal and it's local.

The question really is... should I hold off a bit and maybe get him an electronic kit which takes up less room and he can play in headphones... or are they pretty awful and we're better with a "real" kit like this one which we shouldn't lose much money on if he packs it in? I actually think our older son would use it too.

edit: Actually - I think it's the same as this one... so is probably too big for him as it's full size (I think). I'm going to go and see it anyway, but said to the seller I think it'll be too big.

Any advice on any part of this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    We got our kids a similar one when the eldest was 3.  They loved playing with drum sticks so it made sense.

Are they any good, nope!  But are they super happy thinking they are good, defo!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Thanks @joeyowen ;

I've just spoken to the seller and it seems to be a full size kit... but I don't know anything about drum kits in terms of how adjustable they are. I said I think it'll be too big for him, but I'm going to go and see it anyway and see it in person.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    My son is having drum lessons at the moment. His teacher recommended one of these....
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/meinl-12-practice-pad-mpp12
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2019
    Thanks @NelsonP ;

Is that just to get used to rhythms and stuff before investing in a kit? I have no idea where to start with drums. If there was a set in the house I know I'd have a great time playing about on them though.

I decided to hold off on the one above just now until we speak to his teacher and see how he gets on. He's asked if he can get his own sticks, so we'll do that this weekend and take it from there. Maybe sit him on a couple of sets and find out some more.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    You can get decent enough used kits for not very much money, especially on FB marketplace where they seem to pop up a lot. You have to weigh up what's more irritating, the sound of someone learning the drums on a proper kit, or the continuous thwack of wood on rubber. I'd suggest making sure whatever you get ends up downstairs, even an electronic kick pedal shakes everything loose.
    edited February 2019
    Good advice! Thanks.

We’re going to see how the first couple of weeks go, but I’m going to keep an eye open for a kit coming up locally.

• my 3 yo "plays" my electric kit. he cant reach the pedals yet but he has fun! :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    We got one of these for my 3 year old:

That’s interesting. I saw those types of things and wasn’t sure if they were a good idea. Is it good? I think we’re going to give it a few weeks and see how he goes but I’m defintely keen on seeing what options we have for him.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited February 2019
    We got my son one of the basic Roland TD kits and he learnt on that for a few years. Yes, it's small, compact, the various sounds are pleasing and fun, and there's the obvious boon of being able to play via headphones to save on noise, plus the auxiliary input allowed him to play along with songs. However, if you have the space and noise isn't an issue for your household or neighbours, get him A REAL Kit  - there's no substitute for feel and learning techniques and that's where we are at now and the difference in his playing is light and day.
    That's really good advice, thanks. I don't drum, but I can't help thinking there must be quite a difference between real and electric kits in terms of feel. Although, when I've seen demos first hand of electronic kits, I've been impressed.

We have a 4 bed detached in a modern estate so we are pretty close to other houses but not jammed in, but I'm pretty sure the neighbours would hear a real kit if they were outside in their garden for example. Anyway, we are going to look at kits in due course. We're going into Glasgow today so we are going to get him his own stick and a practice pad. It's brilliant, he's so excited. :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Don't get me wrong @andyp, the electronic kits are great but even with mesh heads to get some better form of play/bounce/response, they're just not the same, especially the cymbals.

We're lucky as we now have a sound-proofed space for his kit but most people I know with real kits in the house have an agreed arrangement with neighbours that between the hours of X & Y, the kit can be played.
    That’s the thing with drums - just the sheer volume of them.

• Kebabkid said:
    Don't get me wrong @andyp, the electronic kits are great but even with mesh heads to get some better form of play/bounce/response, they're just not the same, especially the cymbals.

Zildjian gen16's make a huge difference. Of course its not quite the same but tbh unless you're playing blast beats the additional bounce from mesh heads arent going to throw you that out of whack when you move to a real kit.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited March 2019
    Wee bit of a thread resurrection here...

We went to look at electronic drums yesterday in GG Glasgow (who were great, as always) and I thought I had settled on this kit here... Tourtech 16S as it has a more meaningful bass drum setup than just a pedal and it seems really good value... but it's all rubber pads and no mesh.

This one was the one we went to see Tourtech 12SM which is a bit smaller, has a sort of halfway-house bass drum setup and a mesh snare... I have to say, from a non-drummer perspective, the mesh seems a lot better but the kick drum and overall size / layout and features on the 16S model seem quite a lot better for the small bit of extra outlay. There are full mesh kits for about £100 more, but I think that's too much cash at this stage of things.

Anyway, I'm in a bit of a quandry about which one to get. I think the 16S is the winner, and having "played" it briefly I was quite happy with it, I just wish it had the mesh snare then it would be a no-brainer. But I think overall, it's the best balance of cost vs features. There's no doubt though, if this was a £400 purchase, the full mesh 22M model next to it is the one to go for. If he sticks (pardon the pun) at this, then I would be happy taking him back in a couple of years and shelling out for either a full mesh kit a level or two up from these, or a proper acoustic set.

The 16 says it's expandable... Is it possible to replace the snare with a mesh one later?

Any advice etc. would still be very useful.

Cheers,

Andy
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Are you aware, Andy that a secondhand acoustic kit can be had for less than either of those electronic kits? For example, look at this kit for £120 in Glasgow. If you stuffed the drums with fluffy insulation, just like you insulate your loft with, and lay towels (a couple of layers) on the cymbals, then you can quieten the kit dramatically.

I do not want to change your plans but as a drummer I am conscious that I have had electronic drums but they were not the right thing for me. They might be for your son just as they are for many other drummers.

Not that I am suggesting you copy me but rather to show you that I understand the need to have quiet drums at home - here is a photo of my home kit (I live on a flat with neighbours above and below) stuffed with insulation and carpet on the cymbals. The added fleece is so that I can practice while my wife sleeps, they are now that quiet.

Thanks for the advice @Whistler but I'm not sure it's what he needs at the moment.

It's the feel of the kit that is the thing I am unsure of, does all that padding not have a really major impact on the feel of playing that kit?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    1) drums are VERY noisy! (you won't be popular with the neighbours)
    2) electronic drums don't feel the same as regular drums
    3) I have an electronic drum kit. three of my 4 kids were interested for about 5 minutes then never touched it again!
    Thanks, that's pretty much the process I went through to arrive at the kits I linked above. It's obviously a compromise we will have to reach, and at the moment I think an electronic set is more suited and with it being smaller too it is a better option until we see how serious he gets. His brother started guitar at 6 and is still playing after over 2 years, so I am hoping they will encourage each other and if I'm having to upgrade in 3 years then I'll be delighted.

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    andyp said:
    Thanks for the advice @Whistler but I'm not sure it's what he needs at the moment.

It's the feel of the kit that is the thing I am unsure of, does all that padding not have a really major impact on the feel of playing that kit?
    No problem, I appreciate that may not be the direction for your son. All that padding - to make it quiet enough for my wife to sleep while I play - does indeed change the feel of the kit. Without the fleeces, with mesh heads and insulation-filled drums and (really thin) carpet on the cymbals, the feel is almost like normal but the volume is reduced enough that neighbours do not hear me. They could hear the wood on rubber thwack of me playing electronic drums so my kit is quiter. That is what I was trying to demonstrate: that quiet drums takes a bit of work but it is achievable.

You come across as comfortable with the idea of eletronic drums and that is not a bad decision at all. All the best.