Ash at Oil City answers pickup questions:

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10220
    tFB Trader
    Where do you get your rubber tubing for single coil pickup mounting? It is way better than the dirty yeller stuff that Fender provides. 
    It's model car fuel line :-) Easy to get on e bay 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    Hope this is an ok question....

i like the tone of my p90 neck pickup with the volume pot at say 3/4, rather than full volume. 

Whys that sound different from having the pickup a little lower from the strings. What happens? Seems to be some compression added when the volume pots not fully open maybe? 

cheers! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Hello, Ash @OilCityPickups ;

Concerning a thread about David White Old Glories. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/118455/wtb-david-white-old-glories#latest

• What difference does the variable winding tension make to a finished single coil?
    • At what point does "variable tension" decline into the realms of sloppiness? 
    • How easy would it be to replicate variable tension?
    • Is the result actually desirable?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    Any hand wound pickup is variable tension as it's only the winders fingers doing the tension. Looser wound pickups produce more dynamic range ... a tiny bit more ... and tighter wound pickups accentuate the mids (that's a bit of over simplification, but that's the general effect. Sorry, but I file 'variable tension' under: 'snake' sub heading 'oil'.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good enough answer for me. ;) Many thanks. :)
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    @OilCityPickups Without revealing the secret sauce, can you tell us a bit about what makes the blackbirds so incredibly good ?
    To my ears it's like they are very full sounding but have eq notches just in the right places to always keep great string separation. I'm guessing they are wound asymmetrically and some other tricks ?
    tFB Trader
    lysander said:
    @OilCityPickups Without revealing the secret sauce, can you tell us a bit about what makes the blackbirds so incredibly good ?
    To my ears it's like they are very full sounding but have eq notches just in the right places to always keep great string separation. I'm guessing they are wound asymmetrically and some other tricks ?

Most good humbucking pickups are to some degree or other asymmetrically wound, and blackbirds are no exception, that's easy to tell if you have a pair, by putting a multi meter on the coil start and finish wires. Where the 'secret' sauce comes in is knowing the wind levels that will mesh in well with the magnet's response curve, and knowing which wind levels between neck and bridge take advantage of what both neck and bridge magnets and winding levels bring to the party. Choice of winding wire and tension all play a part.
    I always wind for clarity and note definition ... as a former metal guitarist I loved a wall of sound, but was always frustrated by the 'mush' that so often came with it. The blackbird is lower output than many 'metal' pickups because far fewer of us stand in front of steaming Marshall Stacks turned up full any more, and modern 'metal' puts a lot higher demand on pickups sonic range than in days gone by.
    Glad you like Blackbirds by the way ... :-) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    OilCityPickups said:
    the 'secret' sauce comes in is knowing the wind levels that will mesh in well with the magnet's response curve
    Case in point. The Seymour Duncan Custom, Custom 5 and Custom Custom humbucker designs are the same coils, paired with different magnet materials. (Ceramic, Alnico 5 and Alnico 2, respectively.) Their tone and dynamics are different. 

Mr. Duncan designed the original Custom. Members of the Seymour Duncan User Group forum experimented with magnet swaps. Demand grew sufficiently to justify putting the most popular swap mods into production.
    tFB Trader
    OilCityPickups said:
    the 'secret' sauce comes in is knowing the wind levels that will mesh in well with the magnet's response curve
    Case in point. The Seymour Duncan Custom, Custom 5 and Custom Custom humbucker designs are the same coils, paired with different magnet materials. (Ceramic, Alnico 5 and Alnico 2, respectively.) Their tone and dynamics are different. 

Mr. Duncan designed the original Custom. Members of the Seymour Duncan User Group forum experimented with magnet swaps. Demand grew sufficiently to justify putting the most popular swap mods into production.
    Customers come up with brilliant ideas quite regularly ... listening to them is a huge part of being a pickup maker. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi Ash, I have a question for you. I want to use a Vintage V100 for downtuning to C or C# to play stoner rock/doom. Form what I gather some use very high output pickups, others use more vintage, or modern paf types, eg SD Custom Custom. I’m looking more into the lower output type, which of your humbuckers would you recommend? 

I’m thinking maybe the Nightfigher Alnico II Custom which has similar specs to an SD Custom Custom.
    tFB Trader
    Hi Ash, I have a question for you. I want to use a Vintage V100 for downtuning to C or C# to play stoner rock/doom. Form what I gather some use very high output pickups, others use more vintage, or modern paf types, eg SD Custom Custom. I’m looking more into the lower output type, which of your humbuckers would you recommend? 

I’m thinking maybe the Nightfigher Alnico II Custom which has similar specs to an SD Custom Custom.
    My assistant Joey is in the doom/post metal band Oldblood, and uses a low output (paf level) version of my Neo-X-Breed pickups (his own endorsed version the 'Hacksaw') with stacked fuzz. If you are going the low/medium output doom path, I'd say any of our PAF style pickups with special consideration for tight bass end. My own choice would be the Scrapyard Dog (alnico 5) or perhaps the Forces Sweetheart (alnico 2). For medium output you can't go wrong with the Scrapyard Dog Plus (alnico 5), or as you have said, the NightFighter alnico II Custom. 
    Hope this helps :-)

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited February 2020
    Hi Ash, I have a question for you. I want to use a Vintage V100 for downtuning to C or C# to play stoner rock/doom. Form what I gather some use very high output pickups, others use more vintage, or modern paf types, eg SD Custom Custom. I’m looking more into the lower output type, which of your humbuckers would you recommend? 

Sorry to chime in and in addition to what Ash said I find myself leaning towards A5 magnets as they have a bit more brightness which works with when the strings are tuned low and a little on the loose side of things (essential for doom) and with the fuzz.  Also, I find a HB sized P90 to work well for doom, maybe Ash could recommend a particular model but I'd be inclined to go for a Mighty Ninety in the neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Sorry to chime in and in addition to what Ash said I find myself leaning towards A5 magnets as they have a bit more brightness which works with when the strings are tuned low and a little on the loose side of things (essential for doom) and with the fuzz.  Also, I find a HB sized P90 to work well for doom, maybe Ash could recommend a particular model but I'd be inclined to go for a Mighty Ninety in the neck.

I totally agree about alnico 5 for downtuning ... and a Mighty 90 alnico 5 is a serious 'doom beast' in the right hands/rig. It's a P90 however, so don't expect it to be noiseless!

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    @OilCityPickups what would you recommend in your range for a PRS DGT like sound? I.e a PAF that sounds like a telecaster on steroids ?
  • Thanks @OilCityPickups and @earwighoney, very helpful 
    tFB Trader
    lysander said:
    @OilCityPickups what would you recommend in your range for a PRS DGT like sound? I.e a PAF that sounds like a telecaster on steroids ?

lysander said:

Several possible contenders here, but my Creature should get you close to that tone.

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1790
    Hi Ash,

Are you familiar with the humbuckers from Hofner T4s from 79ish? Do you happen to know what wind, magnet and output they are and hence anything in your range that comes close?
    tFB Trader
    I believe this was after they stopped using Schaller HBs ... If I remember correctly they were A5 and moderately beefy PAFs ... so Scrapyard Dogs. 

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1790
    Cool, thank you

cheers
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Ash, can you tell me what mags are in the Stone Tone pickups?