Ash at Oil City answers pickup questions:

What's Hot

Comments

• Don't be tempted to buy winding wire from certain UK parts suppliers ... it's hugely expensive for the tiny quantities they sell. 
    Thanks for the tip - I'll have a look at Scientific Wire.  There used to be a roll of enamelled wire in the cellar at home when I was young - used to play with it making electromagnets and rudimentary solenoids to operate signals on my train set... but I've no idea what gauge it was and even less idea where it is now (probably in my parents garage at their new house, but it's been a very long time since anybody last saw it and I'm not allowed to visit at the moment to have a look) so buying some more is probably going to be the best option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    edited May 2020
    Hi Ash,

I just missed out on getting something from your most recent clearance, so am looking for a couple of pickups for a Gretsch BST-1000: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/181864/wtb-pickups-for-gretsch-bst-1000

Any recommendations for pickups for this guitar?

The "Oil City Masterwound Beano with shorter legs" looked perfect (the Gretsch is pretty thin). I've also vaguely considered humbucker-sized P90s (I don't currently have a P90 guitar).

Cheers,

R.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Question about Telecaster neck/Rhythm position pickup covers.

Please attempt to quantify the sonic/tonal differences imparted by brass (of whatever thickness), nickel silver and fresh air. How much brighter/duller do things get?
    Be seeing you.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491

Please attempt to quantify the sonic/tonal differences imparted by brass (of whatever thickness), nickel silver and fresh air. How much brighter/duller do things get?
    I've been looking at this myself and I think I can answer.

Brass colours the sound the most and will make the neck position sound warmer/darker etc, whilst no cover will be the brightest, and a nickel silver one is somewhere in the middle.
    This, I know already.

I was hoping that somebody who has dismantled and rebuilt pickups of this type could say how much difference a change of cover brings. 
    Be seeing you.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader

this is a judgement rather than anything I have measured with an oscilloscope .... but pretty much all the very top most frequencies seem to be  filtered out by brass. These are the frequencies that to my ear give 'sparkle' and presence to a tone. Nickel is miles better ... bit still filters a bit. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Hi Ash,

I just missed out on getting something from your most recent clearance, so am looking for a couple of pickups for a Gretsch BST-1000: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/181864/wtb-pickups-for-gretsch-bst-1000

Any recommendations for pickups for this guitar?

The "Oil City Masterwound Beano with shorter legs" looked perfect (the Gretsch is pretty thin). I've also vaguely considered humbucker-sized P90s (I don't currently have a P90 guitar).

Cheers,

R.
    Beanos should work well or a Mighty 90 bridge and a Smooth 90 neck. :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

pretty much all the very top most frequencies seem to be filtered out by brass. These are the frequencies that to my ear give 'sparkle' and presence to a tone. Nickel is miles better ... but still filters a bit. 
    Thank you.

I feel some Seymour Duncan pickup cover surgery coming on. 
    Be seeing you.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Do you make any 8 string pickups at all? How do the prices compare to the 6 string versions? Anything in stock at the moment?
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    carlos said:
    Do you make any 8 string pickups at all? How do the prices compare to the 6 string versions? Anything in stock at the moment?
    Hi, we do, but they are to special order. There is a lot of variation in spacing with 7 and 8 string pickups, so it does not make sense for us to carry stock. I suggest a direct contact with Ash via the site contact form: https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/contact Thanks. 
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Hi guys, I’m after a set with a tonal signature along the lines of Dimarzio air classic on the neck and Duncan full shred for the bridge, what pickups in the range would you recommend ?
    tFB Trader
    Hummm ... haven't tried all the opposition's pickups and the Full Shred is one that's slipped under my radar ... let me check

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Ok thanks - sorry for mentioning the opposition, it’s just easier than trying to describe the sound.
    Would always rather buy a set from you than from the big brands !
    Looking forward to your thoughts.
    tFB Trader
    Full shred it turns out is pretty much like my Blackbird Ulfberht with the alnico 5 magnet option. The Air Classic is similar to my Riot Act or Tubesnake :-)

lysander said:
    sorry for mentioning the opposition
    It would come as little surprise to me if the majority of bespoke pickup order requests were expressed in terms of, “can you build a pickup that will sound like a ____________________ “ (fill in the blank)? That could mean a Gibson or Fender design from the respective golden eras of those makers. It could mean some outrageously high output eight string beast.

Assorted long-serving DiMarzio and Duncan pickup designs are points of reference - even after their specs may have changed fractionally over the decades. If these reference points help to explain, use them.
    Be seeing you.
    tFB Trader
    lysander said:
    sorry for mentioning the opposition
    It would come as little surprise to me if the majority of bespoke pickup order requests were expressed in terms of, “can you build a pickup that will sound like a ____________________ “ (fill in the blank)? That could mean a Gibson or Fender design from the respective golden eras of those makers. It could mean some outrageously high output eight string beast.

Assorted long-serving DiMarzio and Duncan pickup designs are points of reference - even after their specs may have changed fractionally over the decades. If these reference points help to explain, use them.

That's pretty much how I look at it ... it's like saying I want a car with the build quality of a Volkswagen and the styling of a Ferrari ... they are common points of shared reference

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    Hi Ash,

Sticking with the theme of a point of reference, and playing with the idea of a pickup change down the line...

Would you be able to say how your Blitz Spirits or Tubesnake models compare to a Gibson '57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus set? I'm still getting to grips with them in a new acquisition but my immediate feeling is they have a wonderful bite for lead sounds, but are a bit woofy/muddy in the low-mids.
    Tim
    @OilCityPickups ;

Ash, I have a pair of pre-owned Stonetone pickups that give abnormally high DC resistance meter readings. (8.0k centre, 8.25k neck.)

Even allowing for a cronky, old analogue meter, 10% tolerance seems rather generous.

Is it possible that these are special customer order units rather than the regular, off-the-peg specification?

The baseplate model identity labels are simple black and white. Non-MW, not signed.
    Be seeing you.
    tFB Trader
    What you have there mate are a custom pair I do to match a hot bridge humbucker ... They are effectively based off the bridge version 

This is useful to know. Thank you.
    Be seeing you.