Shipping insurance provided by third party companies

What's Hot
matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
edited February 2019 in Guitar
After being shocked at just how much some couriers charge for shipping insurance.

I found a company that will insure a parcel for 0.6% of its value which, by comparison, is cheap as chips. But the bad news is, they don’t cover guitars.

https://www.secursus.com/

Has anyone used use a similar service that includes musical instruments?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    I can't help - I have a business insurance package via Zurich that covers me for 'goods in transit' - I don't insure each guitar/each parcel - Blanket policy that covers me for 12 months sales/parcels below and agreed amount of say £500K and a single item limit of 15K

However I've had this policy for 15 years - never made a claim - touch wood, so it provides me with a peace of mind, but I'm out of pocket over the 15 years by a few grand - But that applies to all insurance policies I dare say
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3040
    I just used them to ship a digital stagebox for repair - cost me €5 for stated €§,000 (£900) value.

Let's hope I don't need to use their services, but that's more reasonable than the £44 ParcelForce wanted.

R.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    UPS always for me at approx £50 for a 2k guitar shipped and insured
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5410
    I can't help - I have a business insurance package via Zurich that covers me for 'goods in transit' - I don't insure each guitar/each parcel - Blanket policy that covers me for 12 months sales/parcels below and agreed amount of say £500K and a single item limit of 15K

However I've had this policy for 15 years - never made a claim - touch wood, so it provides me with a peace of mind, but I'm out of pocket over the 15 years by a few grand - But that applies to all insurance policies I dare say
    Insurance is basically a form of inverted gambling, innit. 

It’s difficult to recommend insurance companies that you’ve never claimed with, because of course The claims process is pretty much 100% of what will make or break them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MaakMaak Frets: 81
    Bumping this;  I had a look at secursus.com/ but they state that the box can't have anything that gives away what's inside.  I emailed them and they confirmed as such.  Unfortunately all my guitar boxes have guitar branding on them.  Does anyone else have some options for third party shipping insurance for a guitar?  It's not going far (within the UK)
  • JonnyBgoodeJonnyBgoode Frets: 115
    matt1973 said:
    After being shocked at just how much some couriers charge for shipping insurance.

I found a company that will insure a parcel for 0.6% of its value which, by comparison, is cheap as chips. But the bad news is, they don’t cover guitars.

Huh? I use them after someone here recommended them! Where does it say they don't cover guitars? I don't see it in their exclusion list.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
    matt1973 said:

Huh? I use them after someone here recommended them! Where does it say they don't cover guitars? I don't see it in their exclusion list.
    Wait...what? 
    An ok I see that post quoted was over 3 years old.
    Emailed them anyway to find out what the deal is with guitars/unbranded boxes, etc. 
  • Couldn’t you just wrap the box in plain brown parcel paper?
  • NeckwringerNeckwringer Frets: 357
    I've just used them for 2 guitars and about to use them again..........did'nt see anything about NO guitars....
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3321
    I always use Securus. never heard anything about not covering guitars 
    This is their somewhat ambiguous response to my email asking about cover for guitars:

We do cover guitars. However, if your guitar is damaged during transit and is then devalued due to some repairs, the depreciation won’t be covered.

Only the repairs’ costs will be covered.

Before shipping, I advise you to read our shipping instructions : https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/prepare-your-package/ and our T&Cs : https://www.secursus.com/en-gb/terms-and-conditions/

• steersteer Frets: 1186
    So if the neck snaps in transit, they will pay to fix the neck. But the value of the guitar will be reduced, which they will not cover. In that case:-

If you are the seller, then your buyer probably isn't going to want it anymore, so you have a problem. 

If you are buying, then you will in effect receive a damaged and repaired guitar, so you have a problem. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3040
    Hmm, I also just read this in Article 6 of their T&Cs:

6.2. THE PARCEL INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER:
    • ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED.
    Doesn't this render Secursus useless for most people selling on here?
  • MaakMaak Frets: 81
    edited July 2022
    Hmm, I also just read this in Article 6 of their T&Cs:

6.2. THE PARCEL INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER:
    • ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED.
    Doesn't this render Secursus useless for most people selling on here?

I'd say you're right!

UPS it is then..........unless anyone has a better suggestion.
    Just shipped via UPS,really easy to do on their website and £25 inc £1000 cover.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I prefer to pay / charge the extra for overnight delivery and excessive packaging, photographic evidence as a record.
    It is ridiculous that we cannot trust a courier to deliver a package that we have paid full price for transit, and can not rely on that service to be carried out without gambling on it not getting damaged or lost.
    The small print on most of the insurance policies make it a pointless exercise,and just an excuse to allow terrible service for the un-insured.
    If I paid a plumber to fix my toilet, and it didn't work, I would have a good case in small claims, up to 5K, so why should a professional courier be allowed to operate with impunity, by offering a simple A-B delivery with no guarantees?
    Anything over 5K, I would prefer to deliver myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    If you're not comfortable with Secursus. I believe overlandexpress insure guitars. Maybe worth looking into. Also if I remember one of the overlandexpress guys is a forum member. Maybe he'd like to add something.