Adventures in random eBay luthiery

I've been looking out for a mandola/bouzouki type instrument, and in general you have two choices: cheapo far Eastern imports by Ashbury, Ozark and the like, or handmade luthier-built instruments which generally cost upwards of a grand. But then I found a seller on eBay called jhahar2, who had a bunch of home-made instruments listed for around the same sort of price as the imported ones. So I made him an offer and my octave mandola has just arrived.

He's used decent hardware and nice old reclaimed wood, and it looks great from a distance. Close up it's a bit crude, though. The neck is really chunky (which I don't mind). The soundboard is probably a bit thicker than it should be and the soundhole rosette is stuck on rather than inlaid. The weakest aspect of it is the fretwork -- some of the frets are too short and there is buzz at a couple of places on the fingerboard. If I can sort the worst of that our I'll keep it, but not sure I'd go down this route again. I don't feel ripped off because he's obviously put a lot of effort and money into building these things, but possibly a mass-produced import might be a better instrument.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom