Quick question on bridge pin sizes....

... when I last changed the strings on my Faith Saturn I noticed a couple were looking a little worse for wear but have bee fine.

Before I change the strings again I'm going to buy some new pins, are they a standard size?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    edited February 2019
    ... when I last changed the strings on my Faith Saturn I noticed a couple were looking a little worse for wear but have bee fine.

Before I change the strings again I'm going to buy some new pins, are they a standard size?
    More or less, yes - I think any modern guitar will take the standard size. The most common exception is old Eko pins which are larger.

If they're chewed up, are you taking then out with pliers? You shouldn't need to, they do not need to be forced into the bridge. It can help to deliberately kink the ball end slightly before you put it down the hole so the pin slides past it more easily - the pin can actually be quite loose in the hole as long as the ball end can't move back into it.

If they're really stuck, push them out from inside the guitar with a pick or a coin to protect the end of your finger.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

More or less, yes - I think any modern guitar will take the standard size. The most common exception is old Eko pins which are larger.

If they're chewed up, are you taking then out with pliers? You shouldn't need to, they do not need to be forced into the bridge. It can help to deliberately kink the ball end slightly before you put it down the hole so the pin slides past it more easily - the pin can actually be quite loose in the hole as long as the ball end can't move back into it.

If they're really stuck, push them out from inside the guitar with a pick or a coin to protect the end of your finger.
    Thanks for the reply. From memory where the groove in the pin is, a section was coming off running the length of the V (if that makes sense) on a couple of pins. Up to now there has been no problem getting them out. I'd just sooner have it right so as to avoid issues further down the line.

Thanks again

Simon