Good short scale beginner bass?

What's Hot

Comments

• gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special short scale version.

ICBM said:
    quier VM Jaguar Bass. Only £200 brand new, and astonishing value for money.
    I bought one for xmas for my son following the advice here on the forum. I confirm it's astonishingly good value, easy to play & sounds like a bass (to my ears !).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    Squier Bronco. Change the pickup for a Lace Sensor and you're away.
    What Lace pickup would you recommend. These are dirt cheap. What's the catch!? 
    I used a Gold in mine. The Hot Golds are good too, but either will work well. You should be able to pick a Bronco up 2nd hand for cheap money. There is no catch really; you might have to change the tuners if you plan to gig it, but apart from that it's a bargain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    These look like great fun. Don't see many second hand, but at new , they're still a bargain.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    victorludorum said:

I used a Gold in mine. The Hot Golds are good too, but either will work well. You should be able to pick a Bronco up 2nd hand for cheap money. There is no catch really; you might have to change the tuners if you plan to gig it, but apart from that it's a bargain.
    Most other Strat-size bar/blade magnet pickups will work very well too. I’ve fitted a couple of original Musicmaster Basses (what the Bronco is based on) with them - one a Duncan Hot Strat Stack, the other with an EMG SA!

The advantages are a more even and punchy sound than the original pickup, and hum cancellation - more important for bass than guitar because you can’t dial out the offending frequency as it’s in the note range of the instrument.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2522
    Son has the VM squier jag bass - great guitar. His teacher even wants one now ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Anyone ever gig the bronco bass reissue ? Apart from a pickup change would it hold up in a live scenario?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Anyone ever gig the bronco bass reissue ? Apart from a pickup change would it hold up in a live scenario?
    Yes and yes...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    Yes and yes...
    Nice! I will look into one. They seem suspiciously cheap though. I often feel like they might fall apart in my hands mid gig....
    I think you will be surprised how good they are, lightweight and good fun...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    I think you will be surprised how good they are, lightweight and good fun...
    I think I'll take the punt, and use if for serious gigging...
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Oof I dunno like - I heard they were pure doggo
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Squier Bronco. Change the pickup for a Lace Sensor and you're away.
    What Lace pickup would you recommend. These are dirt cheap. What's the catch!? 
    The catch is that they are absolute garbage. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oooffff. I'll rethink!! 
    edited June 2019
    What about those Gretsch junior basses? Probably a bit pricey for a beginner, but decent?

Or the Ibanez Talman?
    Schnozz said:
    Oof I dunno like - I heard they were pure doggo
    Heard He, but never experienced first hand?

The catch is that they are absolute garbage. 
    Except they are not, budget? yes, a multi toned, active Bass? No.....

A used one is worth a punt, if feels/plays ok, change the pickup, for the money, they are a bargain....

On a different tack, this popped up on my YouTube feed, not watched it but it might be worth a look?

Good video, though they're more on the higher end. Anyone know if the Orange O Bass is a short scale. It looks like it is, but I don't think it is!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    The Fender American Performer Mustang Bass is a well made instrument. (There are some details that I would want to tweak but that is just me being a fussy bastard.)

Ideally, wait until these begin to become available ex-demo or pre-owned.

The Squier Mikey Way Mustang Bass has an EMG-35 sized soapbar pickup cavity and scratchplate cut-out. This makes it a doddle to upgrade.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There's an Ibanez Talman short scale and a Dean short scale knocking around too, but no idea what they're like....
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    There's an Ibanez Talman short scale and a Dean short scale knocking around too, but no idea what they're like....

I've got the Ibanez one.  It's good.  I'm not sure I'd bother to spend more on the Fender Mustang.  I don't think the difference is worth the extra money.

I will probably sell mine at some point as I'd ideally like a 32" P style bass.