Cover Challenge #5 - official chat thread

What's Hot
Welcome to the 5th fretboard concert challenge. The rules are simple - there are no rules*. 

We all start with the same song suggestion and record our own cover version. It's up to your imagination as to what you do with it. It could be faithful to the original or as out there as you wish. 

The idea is to share creativity and see how we end up with differing results from the exact same start point. Feel free to change key if needed for vocals. Feel free to go instrumental/spoken word/rap if singing isn't your thing. Feel free to share ideas in this thread or keep your hand close to your chest. Just have fun with it. 

The track to be covered has been chosen by the winner of the last challenge @markblack ;and is... 

Drum roll...

F. E. A. R. by Ian Brown

Yes. That's what has been chosen. Now get those creative juices flowing and see what you can come up with. 

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Tuesday 30th April. 

Only one entry per participant. 

A playlist of all the entries will be posted in the Voting Thread and you will have approximately one week to vote. Vote for your top 3 with 5 points awarded  for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place. Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own entry. 

Unlike other challenges in the Cover Challenge the winner wins a prize - they get to choose the track to be covered for the next challenge. Please have ideas ready in advance as you will only have approximately 48hrs to PM your suggestion or The Management will decide for you. 

Good luck. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Great track!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Oooooo... like that :)
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Great choice - I love this track. Although in some respects that makes it harder to cover!
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    It's a brilliant track. And very original and distinctive which will make it a challenge to cover. But I'm up for it
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited March 2019
    I was out for Sunday lunch today with my wife and I surrepticiously quickly skimmed this thread on my phone, trying not to annoy her.

At first glance I thought it was Fire by Arthur Brown. Now that would be interesting, but I suppose most of you lot are way too young to remember that one. God I'm old.

It's not a competition.
    edited March 2019
    Got to bow out on this one. Ian Brown is a bit of a hero of mine; his solo stuff is unique in a way that means anything I attempt will always be inferior by a long shot. I have had a go  at it and whilst the music was passable, my vocal style just does not make sense in this capacity. I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to hearing your versions of this epic tune. 
    @IMC1980 sorry to hear that. I'm sure you would do it more than justice but can understand.

And I'll apologise in advance for desecrating the work of one of your heroes. My current working title is The Inspiral World of Ian "Arthur" Brown. You can blame it on @stratman3142 ;
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Is anyone else likely to have an entry for this? I reckon I might just get something together in time
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    To be honest I'd completely forgotten about it!  I might have a pop this weekend if time allows, really not a fan of the track though so not quite sure what I'd do with it.
    Will try to get something done next week....
    Okay. So entries officially closed last night. I will still finish my version at my leisure and post it here.

Unless anyone is virtually finished their version and strongly wants a voting thread, I plan to draw a line and have simmering fresh in mind for the next challenge
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Looking forward to hearing the desecration @flying_pie!
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    Sorry as the guy who picked it I had a house move so didn't get a chance to work on it, gear in boxes etc. Looking forward to the next one. 
    Sorry chaps... life got in the way of this one this time round!...
    IMC1980 said:
    Looking forward to hearing the desecration @flying_pie!
    Oops...

@IMC1980 I've now revised my working title to

The Inspiral World of Ian Arthur Brown ft MC Choonz 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom