Anyone actually managed to try or buy one of the new marshall studio amps??

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited May 2019
    If you're using a boost you can do anything with an 800. Check out the videos on the Marshall YouTube. Lee Malia used a Klon style boost for the heavier bits on his video and I think it sounds great. Compared to the SV the SC is a bit tighter and more aggressive sounding with a bit more gain.

For higher gain without pedals I love the Jubilee. I use mine in my stoner/grunge type band without pedals and it's perfect for that Jerry Cantrell style heavy thick saturates tone. Found a little clip I made when trying out my Captor for IR direct recording, gives a good idea of the tone I go for with it (excusing the dodgy playing) - 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/496cjbj6gj3rdia/DI Guitar.mp3?dl=0

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited May 2019
    TTBZ said:
    If you're using a boost you can do anything with an 800. Check out the videos on the Marshall YouTube. Lee Malia used a Klon style boost for the heavier bits on his video and I think it sounds great. Compared to the SV the SC is a bit tighter and more aggressive sounding with a bit more gain.

For higher gain without pedals I love the Jubilee. I use mine in my stoner/grunge type band without pedals and it's perfect for that Jerry Cantrell style heavy thick tone. Found a little clip I made when trying out my Captor for IR direct recording, gives a good idea of the tone I go for with it (excusing the dodgy playing) - 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/496cjbj6gj3rdia/DI Guitar.mp3?dl=0

That sounds superb, thank you for sharing. My main thing is to find something that sounds heavy, like AIC heavy, so I've got a lot of thinking to do, especially with the new Friedman JJ Jr coming out. You reckon the 800 could sound like your clip with a boost?

A concern is that these smaller boxes may lack a little in the bass department and not sound as full as their larger counterparts...what do you think @TTBZ?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    The 800's don't have as much gain as people think, although more than enough for me, and use of a pedal will get you as much as you'd ever want. The mini jubilee has lots more gain on tap though.
  • @riffpowers would an 800 get into Jubilee territory with a pedal in front, or is it a different kind of thing?

edited May 2019
    @Jonathanthomas83 well I always think the Jubilee just sounds like an 800 with a boost and a much better EQ. It takes a boost pedal well to further saturate it. But yeah the 800 will do it as well with a boost.

There's more than enough low end in both of them with the Jubilee having more available - I usually keep mine on about 6 otherwise it's too thumpy. The tone also thickens up as the wind the gain up. I'd say that recording is about 7-8 on the dial. Obviously the low end punch isn't going to be quite the same as a 100w amp but there's enough especially through a 212 or 412.
  • @TTBZ thank you! Appreciate your input. I could get the Jubilee and be perfectly happy, but something about that little 800 box that I am really intrigued by, it'd be nice to gun it and see, I may try to find both to compare them.

I know what you mean. I'm a bit of a Jubilee fan boy but keep getting tempted by the mini 800 as well. Just something about it.
  • Jesus, I'm more confused now, I've been looking at Jubilee videos! Between your clip and those videos, that amp sounds superb too! 1st world problems, eh!

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    The Jube really thickens up as you add gain and bass - this is the way the circuit works.  It has more than enough low end for a good live mix.

I'm also curious about the mini 800 and would like to try one sometime, however the Jube is my #1 choice of the three.  It's such a unique and useful circuit if you use it as Marshall intended (rhythm clip engaged and the boost channel for leads).
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited May 2019
    @riffpowers ;;would an 800 get into Jubilee territory with a pedal in front, or is it a different kind of thing?

Yes it will. You'll get in the "jubilee" zone with a jcm800 and a pedal definitely.

I like the mini 800 better, but TBH thats just personal choice, I very nearly bought the jubilee mini last year before I knew the other min amps were coming out, I played a 2nd hand one through a matching 4x12 and it does everything you'd want and more!! I don't think you'd be disapointed with either.

I will say that I think the SV20 needs to be louder than you'd think to get the best out of it. It's definitley a gigging only amp.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255

I will say that I think the SV20 needs to be louder than you'd think to get the best out of it. It's definitley a gigging only amp.
    Having heard one at band practice volume, I would qualify that slightly - it runs out of headroom and dynamics very quickly when pushed hard, and if you then try to make it louder it gets quite mushy and a bit harsh at the same time. Fine for gigging if you can also mic it, not sure if it would carry a room unmic'ed while competing with a loud-ish drummer. That was going through a 2x12" 2061 cab with a Creamback G12M-65/G12H-75 pair.

I thought it sounded nice at home volume, but obviously only clean - and you *have* to jumper the channels, at low volume the bright channel is unusably shrill and the other one unusably muddy.

So basically the 'Studio' name may be entirely appropriate...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ooh not sure about that, the SV20H is superb. I push mine pretty hard and love it. That said, it's through a Suhr Reactive Load, which is as close to real life as I can get with my situation. I also occasionally thump it with a TS pedal and it still sounds nice and crisp. Not muddy at all. Plenty of dynamics to my ears. Although, I'm no expert.

Also, Dan Hawkins puts it through it's paces in a live setting here, sounds great and he seems to rate it...

edited May 2019
    Ooh not sure about that, the SV20H is superb. I push mine pretty hard and love it. That said, it's through a Suhr Reactive Load, which is as close to real life as I can get with my situation. I also occasionally thump it with a TS pedal and it still sounds nice and crisp. Not muddy at all. Plenty of dynamics to my ears. Although, I'm no expert.
    Just reporting what I and the chap playing through it experienced in a band rehearsal. He normally uses an Orange Rocker 30, which while admittedly slightly more powerful, doesn't do that at all. (Through the same cab.)

The Marshall both mushed out when pushed hard and produced a slightly harsh upper-mid frequency which unfortunately conflicted with the vocals. A shame, since at lower volume it did sound very nice. Not to mention looking fantastic on the 2061 cab...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Does look the part, for sure! I'm really happy. Just whacked the Strat through it for the first time and it sounded glorious. :-) chuffed!

It's entirely possible that it responds better with the load than with a real cab, actually!

• ICBM said:
    It's entirely possible that it responds better with the load than with a real cab, actually!
    Yeah maybe, do you know of any reason as to why that may be? Must admit, I've tried a few amps with the Suhr RL and I'm really surprised by how nice the SV20H sounds :-)

Jonathanthomas83 said:

Yeah maybe, do you know of any reason as to why that may be?
    Even though it's reactive, it won't duplicate the impedance curve perfectly - especially not the resonant peak, or the mechanically-generated flyback voltages at all - because there is no physical cone moving. It's also likely to be less reactive and more resistive than a real speaker, because pure reactance can't actually dissipate energy - just limitations of trying to simulate an electro-mechanical system using purely electrical components.

The result of all that is most likely to be a more even response and less prone to resonances that can bring out frequencies you don't want. Conversely, it probably won't have the 'character' of a real mic'ed cabinet either, even if it's very good. It's a trade-off...

If memory serves me right the Dan Hawkins video was done at low power as well. Definitely filled the room without anything going into the PA.
    edited June 2019
    I've watched the Dan Hawkins clip now, and I have to say that it's both an accurate representation of what I heard and sounds terrible, to me - far too compressed and mushy, and with a harsh overtone that's the same frequency no matter what he plays.

BUT - this was posted in another thread...

It sounds superb. But notice that he's not driving it hard at all, the volumes are a fair way down. It's also clearly just the guitar straight into the amp - when I heard it, it was with pedals in front as well and that just made it even worse.

So I think it's going to depend very much on what you like, and how you're going to use it.