South West Jam - Factory Studios (Bristol) Edition - 8th June 2019

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Was.there some.kind of pitch or doubling effect on the vocal track? I couldn't hear it when I was.singing but I'm hearing something on the stem
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    TimmyO said:
    Was.there some.kind of pitch or doubling effect on the vocal track? I couldn't hear it when I was.singing but I'm hearing something on the stem
    Yeah the vocal effects were printed. Gonna have to be creative
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    TimmyO said:
    I set my gizmo box up with just reverb, but it does have a button for doubling and another for delay, so it's possible on some tracks the vocalist might have switched them on. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I noticed pitch correction was also on sometimes as well. I totally over processed my vocals on Be Yourself, but I was struggling on the day. I might redo the vocals at home and see if I can get the pitch right. The recordings won’t be perfect, they are just a useful reminder of they day - most are first or second takes done by people playing the track for the first time together! Sometimes they weren’t even playing the same version ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Those sound good @mrkb :) 

Here's my effort on the 2 versions of Rock n Roll. I didn't do much with the vocals as they had already been through that effects box and they sounded wicked anyway!

https://soundcloud.com/benswanwick/rocknroll1

and second one (better imo): 

https://soundcloud.com/benswanwick/rocknroll2

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Here's my effort on the 2 versions of Rock n Roll. I didn't do much with the vocals as they had already been through that effects box and they sounded wicked anyway!

They sound great! Good job 

Cheers - I'm not used to mixing band stuff! 

Looking forward to trying Iron Man later :)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    TimmyO said:
    I set my gizmo box up with just reverb, but it does have a button for doubling and another for delay, so it's possible on some tracks the vocalist might have switched them on. 
    ah - and left it on... :-) 
    Red ones are better. 

Cheers - I'm not used to mixing band stuff! 

Looking forward to trying Iron Man later :)
    Ha yeh I used the karaoke echo for this otherwise it would just sound like a woman being stabbed in the shower. I put the doubler on for take one but took it off for take two
    Here's Iron Man - @MagicPigDetective @roberty   =) Sounded great. I took out an errant noise on the drum mic, other than that just a bit of fiddling about, performances were top!

https://soundcloud.com/benswanwick/ironman
    @MagicPigDetective  - got to say going through that again, great guitar performance - for someone who was a bit nervous you nailed it mate. There's nothing in there I'd change!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Okay here are my attempts. I decided to make Iron Man lo-fi sounding and then the Van Halen one a bit shinier. I kept the dead mics for ambience to try and make it sound live.  @Vibetronic is hosting them for me on his soundcloud - check out his mind-bending solo on the second track

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @roberty good skills mate! 

@Vibetronic I watched you RIP that solo in the room, and I'm *still* gobsmacked playing it back now! Top work mate

spark240 said:
    @mrkb - nice efforts....For me the stereo field is a little too wide, I would try using a short reverb on the rhythm guitars ( on both songs ) but pan the reverb to the opposite side.
    Cherrs Tim,
    i brought the guitars in for the second track.

How would I pan the fx to the other side? Would that need the rhythm guitar sending to an effects bus and the bus panned to the other side?

Are there any simple (with a few presets) vst effects that are cheap/free? I’m using reapers native plugins (which are complex) and ezmix (which are too simple- only have 2 dials to tweak), any recommendations?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Good work @roberty @Vibetronic . Yeah, sloppy but mainly in time, pleased about that, its something I’ve been working on, but doing it with a band, chuffed. I think Ironman 2 overall better in terms of my guitar playing, with a heavier amp setting on the kemper, but a better solo on 1. Solos aren’t great, pretty scrappy and sloppy, but a good experience for me, that pressure of having only one shot at it. They sound more of a low fi rough type grunge solo than a slick metal thing, a bit early Kim Thayil, one of my guitar heroes. I think the low E thing behind the headstock messed up the tuning on 1. Also, playing standing up is something I haven’t done in years. Playing was more enjoyable than listening back, but chuffed to have these recordings for prosperity. Sorry gone on a bit, downing a bottle of wine :) 

As @brocco assured me it would be at the start of this thread, it was a fantastic experience and I value the opportunity and encouragement from you all. It’s given me a hell of a confidence boost. Please do another! 
  • @roberty good skills mate! 

@Vibetronic I watched you RIP that solo in the room, and I'm *still* gobsmacked playing it back now! Top work mate
    My top @vibetronic solo of the day was the first take of Be Yourself, not even recorded! 

My top @vibetronic solo of the day was the first take of Be Yourself, not even recorded! 
    Nah, it didn’t capture the spirit of the original and go Wah,Wah,Wah,Wah,Whakka, Whakka, Wah ! ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2993
    edited June 2019
    mrkb said:

Nah, it didn’t capture the spirit of the original and go Wah,Wah,Wah,Wah,Whakka, Whakka, Wah !
    Legend he is, but just for once, move over Morello let @Vibetronic  take over; the Fretboard’s Shredmaster General. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    [words abridged...]

As @brocco assured me it would be at the start of this thread, it was a fantastic experience and I value the opportunity and encouragement from you all. It’s given me a hell of a confidence boost. Please do another! 
    Both Brocco and I are looking into it, but hope you don’t mind if we allow the dust to settle before we do. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2993
    edited June 2019
    fandango said:
    [words abridged...]

Both Brocco and I are looking into it, but hope you don’t mind if we allow the dust to settle before we do. 
    Of course, of course, no pressure   We also talked about the other events at other locations,  I will certainly see if I can attend any of those.