2019 (Bristol) South West Jam Song List Discussion

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Sorry @Brocco I'll get stuck into that spreadsheet soon and nominate myself for a bunch of stuff

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    For ease you can move my name around any songs you want really, Ill try and learn whatever Im down for, ( maybe not solos)  Im not fussed if songs I put up are removed. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 523
    mrkb said:
    FastEddie said:
    Brocco said:
    nudging @clarkefan, @mrkb, @FastEddie, @fandango and @Funkfingers for your suggested songs...  

Thank-you for the request.
    At this point I am happy to rock-up, learn, and play. 
    I'm very new to this so would like to find my feet before I feel confident enough to make suggestions. 

Are you up for doing rhythm on Fire? Had a quick run through playing while singing last night and should be OK if there’s another guitarist doing rhythm bits as well.
    I've played Fire live a few times. It's great with two guitars with the second doing a second solo. The first solo is more of a rift which I can manage. 

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    @jonnyscaramanga of this here parish has very kindly sourced a drummer on the recommendation of James Hester, Head of Drums at BIMM in Bristol. I have just discussed the event with Conor Ross Harrington and agreed terms! Conor will be following the track list discussion as it evolves here. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    roberty said:
    Sorry @Brocco I'll get stuck into that spreadsheet soon and nominate myself for a bunch of stuff

Yeah me too.  Didn't realise this was such a production, never been to anything like this before, thanks for all your efforts @Brocco :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Legionreturns said:
    3 songs from the existing lust, for me to play bass on, so I have a challenge  
    1. Rock And Roll - Led Zeppelin - Punishing eighth notes at 170BPM.
    2. Pump It Up - Costello - Interesting riff. Feel needs to be "just so". Constantly pushes and pulls against the drums.
    3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd - For a bassist, the challenge is to remain awake. Maybe, try it fretless?

Be seeing you.
    @mrkb has added his name to a few tracks on the google sheet as have I. @Legionreturns has been assigned bass duties on Rock And Roll, Pump It Up and Comfortably Numb per his request/suggestions by @Funkfingers (please let me know if this is not ok).

In the interests of ensuring that we all have enough prep time, a decision on the final tracklist will be taken this coming weekend, which means most of us still need to confirm which tracks we would like to play on - come on people, we are all in this together!  
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    happy to do guitar for that Audioslave one @Brocco and for Ace of Spades @roberty . I know Ace of Spades but not the solo so I'll just make that up if that's ok (unless you want it just like the record?). 
    many thanks @Vibetronic - google sheet updated to reflect your choices
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I've requested edit access to the rock'n'roll spreadsheet
    @roberty - good man!
    Brocco said:
    I have no strong desire to play anything specific. (Perhaps, I am too lazy to prepare properly? Perhaps, I don’t even know some of the songs on the list?

In the spirit of giving the drummer some, how about a couple of pieces with minimal vocal content and plenty of skin bashing?

Tusk - Fleetwood Mac 
    Here Come The Warm Jets - Eno

Maybe, something by Magazine, Buzzcocks or Joy Division?

Be seeing you.
    Thought it would be worth posting the names of the songs under consideration here for those who prefer to confirm their songs choices in this discussion rather than via the google sheet.:

If you have not responded yet, please simply confirm which songs you want to play on and the role you wish to take (vox, drums, bass, lead or rhythm), remembering that we will perform songs as many times as needed to give everyone who wants to play on a particular track the opportunity to do so, so don't be put off if someone is already down for the role you would like.

As we have too many songs under consideration to be viable on the day the plan is to reduce the list by removing the least popular songs at the end of this weekend, so this is the last call for those who have not yet provided their choices to do so!

Comfotably Numb
    Rock And Roll 
    Sit Down
    Rocks
    Just Like Heaven
    My Hero
    Cold Hard Bitch
    So Into You
    Bad Company
    If You Want Blood
    All Right Now
    Motorcycle Emptiness
    Teenage Kicks
    Girl From Mars
    The Wind Cries Mary
    Alive
    Ironman
    Be Yourself
    Born To Be Wild
    Just What I Needed
    Pump It You
    Get The Funk Out
    Symphony Of Destruction
    You Really Got Me
    Ace Of Spades
    Fire

That is my fault. In the opening post, I invited early subscribers to nominate one song and allowed them a couple of reserve choices in the hope that other subscribers might take an interest in the other songs.

Some of the reserve nominations can go. Songs that are not attracting very many willing players and/or singers are self-selecting candidates for rejection.
    Be seeing you.
    As of this morning we have 6 viable songs (i.e. commitments for vox, bass, lead & rhythm & either Conor or a formite on drums). There are another 5 songs for which we only need to find a bass player. Experience of past events suggests that we need 12-15 songs so get your names down! :)
    The 6 viable songs are: Comfortably Numb, Sit Down, Rocks, All Right Now, Motorcycle Emptiness, & Teenage Kicks

The 5 tracks for which we only require a bassist are: My Hero, Girl From Mars, Alive, Be Yourself & You Really Got Me.
    I’ll do Bass on YRGM if you want ?...if I can borrow a Bass

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Thanks @spark240 - in case it makes a difference, it is the VH version of YRGM that has been proposed 
    Brocco said:
    Thanks @spark240 - in case it makes a difference, it is the VH version of YRGM that has been proposed 
    Yep no problem...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I can do bass on My Hero, and also Born to be Wild if that'd help. 
    If I offered to do a (pretty lousy) vocal on Pump it up, would that help it reach the viable list?