2019 (Bristol) South West Jam Song List Discussion

What's Hot

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I’ll be bringing my own bass, but since it’s fretless, and tuned down, I’m not sure how many people will want to play it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    That's enough bass guitars to give this a go

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    @mart - out of interest how do you have your bass tuned?
    Brocco said:
    DGCF. I seemed to end up playing so many things in Eb or D that I thought it’d be useful having those extra low notes. But kept the 4th tuning to save having to learn new scale patterns.
    mart said:
    Brocco said:
    DGCF. I seemed to end up playing so many things in Eb or D that I thought it’d be useful having those extra low notes. But kept the 4th tuning to save having to learn new scale patterns.
    Mine's in D standard too, it'll go to E tho
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Thank you, @Legionreturns, @roberty, and @mart ;

I still detect a need for something fretted, active and with roundwound strings - possibly more than four of them. Maybe a Stingray, maybe a MIG Warwick Corvette. Both of these have a Hipshot D-Tuner / X-Tender machinehead for the E string.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • nickos236nickos236 Frets: 1
    Hi,
    I will be coming along to the jam Day with Spark240, happy to play a bit of guitar on some of the songs and also happy to sing I know Spark240 has suggested My Hero by foo fighters quite happy to play along on this one and sing too if no one else wanted to.

nickos

Welcome to tFB and the forthcoming Western Jam at Bristol. 

Take a look at the event song list Google Sheet. See whether there are any other proposed song that appeal to you.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hSy_Jj1QRBDN2J891bAiarYNVKkkcH7RhTGFzQMCnAI/edit?usp=sharing
    Questions for those with their names down for Comfortably Numb and Pump It Up:

Comfy - we have two rhythm guitarists, could one be moved to Line Up #2?

PIU - is this viable with a single guitarist (if so we can add it to the confirmed tracklist)?
    Yes, Pump It Up is viable.
    @nickos236 - have added you to the list of confirmed attendees - welcome!  Payment info is on the first page of the main discussion for the Bristol Jam.

When you look at the google sheet, please do not be swayed in your choices if the roles you are interested in appear to already be taken, as we will create as many band line-ups as are required to ensure that everyone who wants to play on a particular track gets the chance to do so. 
    @Funkfingers - that you, the google sheet has been updated accordingly 
    Time for the song list to metamorphose from the order of nomination/rejection to a proper running order.

Wiser heads than mine suggested beginning with some of the less challenging songs. i.e. Sit Down, Teenage Kicks, You Really Got Me et cetera. For this idea to work, participants need to be well prepared. Where that preparation involves Alnico's workshop, the song in question will have to be slotted in afterwards. 

Our drummer du jour, Conor, expressed interest in performing some improvised music. I am happy to participate in this. It should help him to loosen up before the cover versions begin. It may also help the sound engineering volunteers with the setting of levels.

To give Conor breaks without bringing the event to a standstill, it will be necessary to space the songs with alternative drummers at strategic intervals. So far, only Mark Blagdon has volunteered for drumming duties. We need a few more volunteer drummers, please.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6767

Anyone volunteering for drumming needs to be pretty proficient, its very tricky to just 'jam along' to the tracks without throwing off the rest of the band. All the previous jams Ive been to have had the main drummer do 95%-100% of the songs, just give him a rest during the day in the timing (10 mins per hour?). I am happy to do some impromptu jams on the drums if needed, but wont commit to learning more songs as Im already doing 7 of them on either guitar or vocals.

Definitely start with simpler songs, firstly as they are usually pretty quick to run through, and aren't too bad on the vocals.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Brocco said:
    Questions for those with their names down for Comfortably Numb and Pump It Up:

Comfy - we have two rhythm guitarists, could one be moved to Line Up #2?

PIU - is this viable with a single guitarist (if so we can add it to the confirmed tracklist)?
    Just nominated myself for comfy lead in lineup 2
    Where are we with Fire? I had the impression that @FastEddie had volunteered to do some guitar on that, and I offered to do bass if nobody else wants to, although I got the idea @Funkfingers might also have offered in a roundabout way. :)
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    @Funkfingers if you want to slot some more improv jams into the day, I'll happily busk on drums for those. There aren't many songs where I've learned the drum part to the note, but I can carry a beat and improvise well enough. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    mart said:
    Where are we with Fire? I had the impression that @FastEddie had volunteered to do some guitar on that ...
    Last time I visited the event Discussion, FastEddie had withdrawn from the Attendee list and, hence, was removed from the song list as a participant. 

mart said:
    ... and I offered to do bass if nobody else wants to
    It's all yours, sir.  =)

spark240 said:
    Is that also the official running order?
    No. It is strictly (and self-evidently) alphabetical.

spark240 said:
    assume we play through the set list ...then start again in same order with changes of players to suit?
    I labour under the impression that multiple renditions of individual songs will be successive.

Even when there are enough volunteers for more than one performance of a given song, there is still likely to be some overlap of who plays on them. A paying attendee, pencilled in to tackle the solo on a particular song, has every right to expect a proficient backing band line-up. That will usually mean Conor on drums and a bassist who knows the song properly rather than is "having a go".

• MoonrunnerMoonrunner Frets: 23
    Good idea this! I hope it all goes well! :) Hopefully, will be able to make it. :)