A whole song based on playing a 3 note riff with my space Echo

What's Hot
Music is funny. When I'm not in a band I just hardly every write anything in terms of whole songs. Wonder if it's just a case of doing too much noodling and twiddling and not listening to the little riffs that come out. Since joining the band as a bass player in Jan I have written 3 complete songs. That 3 more than what i achieved in the last two years.

Anyway, I was messing with my RE-501 and the little opening riff popped out and I just loved the way the repeats sounded. Then I wondered if the helix could do it with the 201 model. It could. (thought it's dirtier compared to the 501).

Before long a whole song is done. I'm kind of proud of this, just because it's quite a lot of simple layers adding more and more as the song goes on. Really enjoyed putting this together.

Gotta say as well, digital gear is so cool. All the sounds are created with digital creations of gear I don't have (all played live though)
It's amazing. The virtual gear list is:

Helix
Bass amp (cougar 800)
Vox AC 15
Space Echo
DMM 500
Reverse delay
ELEC Mistriss
Verb on the vocals via native
Delay on the vocals via native

NI
Drums from Yamaha DT Xpress4  into NI session Drummer

Arturia
Mini Moog

Soundtoys
Pan Man

Not sure if the mixing is ok, as I'm limited to headphones.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Sounds very good, very professional. Is it you singing? Whoever it is, they have a very pleasing voice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    I've just enjoyed listening to as much of your Soundcloud as I could before bedtime.

I'm guessing that for the last minute of Wish You Were Here and on Billie Jean that's you harmonising with yourself by multitracking your vocals - it's particularly nice.  I just popped back and listened to Take What's Yours and realise for some sections you're singing harmony there too?  I was just wondering if you've experimented performing your own songs with a TC Helicon Harmony Singer 2?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    JezWynd said:
    Sounds very good, very professional. Is it you singing? Whoever it is, they have a very pleasing voice.
    Yes me singing, thanks :)
    @revsorg thanks for the kind comments:)

yup, me singing.

I’ve spent most of my time in bands doing backing vocals. Harmonizing has always come quite naturally to me, I’ve always loved bands that do a lot of harmony, like Alice In Chains and Simon and Garfunkel. It’s a simple way of adding something to a song.

i have never tried the voice live stuff. I don’t really do enough solo gigs to justify it. But it’s something I have thought I should do if I ever play solo regularly.

Thanks for taking the time to listen!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Have to say very nice song and good use of all the interesting tools and stuff we have these days to make a good sounding track.

inspired me to listen to the covers and other stuff. Again as said nice use of vocal and harmony you have a good ear.

if I could make one observation and it may be a mix thing but you are a very solid rhythm player and for getting the song framework down it’s fine but once down to follow you could do with mixing it back or working up some additional parts that are not so solid strum strum strum. A little more implied

if you worked the rhythm guitar like you do vocal with fills and harmony it would be the cherry on top.

but really nice enjoyed it

thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I like that .. well done.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @Jez6345789 first off, thanks for listening.

interesting thoughts regarding the rhythm guitar parts, I  genuinely thought this one was not so strum strum strum. There is a lot going on but some of it is quite buried as it’s for texture. There is accenting with palm mutes, tremolo picking harmony, a golden ratio type part and octaves but I guess that each part is simple and doesn’t have fills etc. something for me to think of for the next track!

@fretwired thanks!