Partscaster with a little twist

What's Hot
normula1normula1 Frets: 640
edited March 2019 in Making & Modding
So many years ago I was watching The Commitments film and saw the Tele thinline the guitarist used. I loved the idea, but a) I hate the control layout and b) despite a liking for a Tele, I'm a Strat man at heart.

So just before Christmas @GSPBASSES but this little beauty up for sale:

So I had a thought,,,, I'll make a hybrid and popped a couple of these Creamery Classic '71 pickups into Mrs Claus sack.
https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/custom-handwound-pickups-from-the-creamery/wide-range-thinline-humbucker-replacements.html#CLASSIC71

After much thought about how best to route the body without making a total hash of it, I bought the bullet and bought a set of Tele Thinline templates and a Strat scratchplate template and set about making some holes

This came out pretty well although the routes are a bit deeper than strictly necessary as the bit I was using was a touch long.

But as I had calculated, the wide range route for the neck pickup is visible with a standard scratchplate

I really fancied making a hybrid plate and drew several variations out on thin card, but none really worked.

So I ended up taking a regular Strat plate and making the top half 1/4 inch wider. It came out quite well and the extra width isn't really noticeable.

So I made my first ever "proper" template and used that to make a plate, and following @Jimbro66's suggestion used an old Tele control plate as a guide for the blade switch.

And whilst it's by no means perfect, I think it came out pretty well. The pickup screw holes are deliberately out of alignment as the baseplates on the Creamery pickups are a touch "rustic" and aren't straight. 

I was going to finish this with some rattle cans but the grain is so nice it's shortly going to be heading over to @lonestar ;;;
to have one of his fabulous sunbursts applied. 

I may well take the opportunity to make a second attempt at a scratchplate whilst its away

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments