Humbucker in Squier Jaguar?

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
edited July 2019 in Guitar
Hello everyone, some time ago I made a thread asking about good grunge guitars and got lots of good recommendations, but I decided to save some money up and try out some guitars, but I’ve decided I don’t need another guitar and will stick to my squier jaguar. I always use the neck PU on it. I was wondering if the Seymour Duncan ‘hot rails for strat’ will fit. I’d rather not have to buy a custom pickup as they’re quite pricey although if I have to I will.  Any medium-high output humbucker will do as long as it doesn’t involve altering the pick guard/ body.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Yes. Seymour Duncan Rails for Stratocaster and their Li’l ‘buckers will fit into a Jaguar body with no need for modification to the guitar.

There will be a bit of a gap between the edges of the pickup and the pickguard where the screening “claw” isn’t. 

For direct mounting, it may be necessary to remove the threads from the brass inserts at the ends of the fully enclosed Duncan pickups. On the earlier version, it is a simple matter of enlarging the holes through the vulcanised fibreboard.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    I’ve read that the hot rails won’t fit in my jag. Is this true? 
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    It depends on the pickup route. Most single coil pickups have a v to the baseplate where the hookup wires are. Jaguar pickups often have these wires at each end of the pickup. Take off your scratch plate and see what shape your pickup route is before buying anything. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Calum13 said:
    It is true in the sense that the pickup cut-outs in the Jaguar pickguard are made to accommodate the metal screening "claw" of the vintage spec single coils. Rails, Li'l 'buckers and Lace Sensors will look undersized in the apertures.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    Calum13 said:
    The original version of the Hot Rails won't - it has a Strat-shape baseplate, with an extension on one side where the eyelets are. But all the modern Duncan Strat-size humbuckers, including the Rails pickups, with parallel casings will.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Calum13 said:
    The original version of the Hot Rails won't - it has a Strat-shape baseplate, with an extension on one side where the eyelets are. But all the modern Duncan Strat-size humbuckers, including the Rails pickups, with parallel casings will.
    So if I buy a modern one I can attach it without nodding the guitar or pickup?
    I’ve heard that because they’re humbuckers some people use 250k or 500k pots but I’m not sure what to do it I keep the neck single coil.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    Calum13 said:

So if I buy a modern one I can attach it without nodding the guitar or pickup?
    I’ve heard that because they’re humbuckers some people use 250k or 500k pots but I’m not sure what to do it I keep the neck single coil.
    Yes, a modern one will fit without modding the guitar - you don't need to change anything else. Jaguars have 1Meg pots, they will work fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2019
    https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/jaguar-dark-line-pickup.html Would one of these maybe get me the sound I’m looking for? Or the jag 90 pickups? I mostly play alternative music like sonic youth, mbv and Dino Jr like stuff. I’m just looking for something higher output.