Sire or sterling stingray?

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2157
I've got a hankering to pick up a bass for around £300. Currently tempted by a sire or a sterling stingray. Thinking about a 5 string. Not looking to gig or anything just more for noodling on at home possibly home recording in the future. 
So which one is the best bang for buck? Even considering a Warwick. 
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    The only ‘Ray that you are going to find for around £300 is a Indonesian-made S.U.B. 

One of the things that I found disappointing on both SUB and Sterling By Musicman ‘Ray type bass guitars is the nut width and string spacing. These follow the proportions associated with a Fender Jazz Bass when they ought to be as wide as a Precision. 

£300 might land you a well-used Korean Warwick Corvette or Streamer Standard model. (Not to be confused with the Rockbass By Warwick instruments.)

The obvious competition for the Indonesian-made ‘Rays is Squier Vintage Modified series P and J. Another Squier model that you might manage to grab for a bargain price is the functional but ugly Dimension Bass. This is available in four and five string formats. Shops will be looking to clear their remaining stocks. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731

One of the things that I found disappointing on both SUB and Sterling By Musicman ‘Ray type bass guitars is the nut width and string spacing. These follow the proportions associated with a Fender Jazz Bass when they ought to be as wide as a Precision. 

This is exactly what I like about them and Musicmans, narrower comfortable string spacing. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2157
    Ah forgive my ignorance i didnt read the sub bit. I didnt know they carried that moniker on.
    This is the one i found

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/musicman-sub-ray-5-honeyburst-satin

I'm more of a fan of jazz basses than j am p basses. I've been a bit spoilt in the past the bassists I've played with either had a usa stringray 5 or a german made warwick.  So no love for the sire? I've watched a few of the scott bass lesson vids should i just get a four string? Especially as a bass newb. I just thought £300 would get something half decent. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    Ernie Ball Music Man has used the moniker S.U.B. more than once.

The original use was budget US versions of Silhouette guitars and Stingray basses. Slab poplar bodies, textured opaque finishes, checker plate pickguards, painted over necks and headstocks. (READ: Ugly maple underneath.)

In more recent times, S.U.B. has become a brand identity in its own right for EBMM Indonesian and Chinese-made budget products. 

DrJazzTap said:
    I'm more of a fan of jazz basses than j am p basses. 
    In that case, you would enjoy the string spacing on the "import" Sterling and 'RAY models. The only USA model with Jazz Bass neck proportions is the Sterling. (See how the re-use of names can quickly become confusing.) I cannot remember what the options were on the Bongo.

DrJazzTap said:
    no love for the sire?
    mk1 Sire V3 bass guitars are nicely constructed at the Cort factory in Indonesia. The popular grumble about them is their inconsistent weight. Try several. Find one that is comfortable for you.

DrJazzTap said:
    I've watched a few of the scott bass lesson vids should i just get a four string? Especially as a bass newb.
    Scott's advice is aimed at beginner to intermediate level students. There is little point paying a premium for four extra semi-tones if you have no use for them. There is also a huge debate about getting a low B string to sound like the other four (or five) and to have similar tension on it. (I shall not divert your search by opening that particular can of worms here.)

DrJazzTap said:
    Fair price for the product. Be warned, however, that the retailer has found an example with attractive grain figuring for the product photograph. Many examples have unsightly grain and knots. Possibly wiser to purchase one with an opaque finish.

I strongly advise that you try the five string bass in person. If the low B feels floppier than the other four, it will sound different, reducing its functionality to little more than a long, flexible thumb rest.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2157
    @Funkfingers thank you so much. That's given me a lot of info! I knew the sub range was originally made in the usa. I think a few people had the misguided view they were on a par with the regular U.S. range. 
    The scott bass video about buying a five string got me thinking, its not like getting a 7 string. And even then id want to pay more than £300, so i suppose thats similar to a five string bass in that regard?
    You're right though they've chosen a nice catalogue image with a grain in and it's best to try them out. 
    The original US-made EBMM S.U.B. instruments were made on the same production line as the "full-on" models but with some of the stages omitted and different (read: cheaper) materials. 

Use the forum search engine to find a 2018 Discussion started by an owner who decided to strip off the black neck paint. He wanted the feel of skin against maple. Through his efforts, he got it but the maple sure as hell was ugly. 

Speaking of ugly things, I have never been a fan of the Stingray V scratchplate. If I were ever to purchase one, I would insist on the black plastic with black finish or white plastic with white finish. This should minimise the visual dissonance. (Shallow, aren't I?)

Several of the instruments on your Under Consideration list are made in the same factory. At any given price point, the quality is pretty comparable. Hence, the S.U.B. RAY is on a par with Squier Vintage Modified and Standard instruments. Some of the lower price bracket Yamaha instruments probably also originate from there. With this thought in mind, if you are evaluating instruments sourced from Cort, you might as well investigate the ones that they put their own name on.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 300
    We have both at the office.  The Sire is so much better, it feels like another class.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    I see that you're not near to Andertons to actually be able to go in and try a few but Sire would get my thumbs up.
    antonyiv said:
    We have both at the office.  The Sire is so much better, it feels like another class.
    IMO, the quality of S.U.B. instruments went down when they shifted production to China. The Indonesian ones were worth buying pre-owned and modifying/upgrading a bit. At present, the Chinese ones are not.

Much of the hardware and electronics is identical. The problems must lie elsewhere.

At the sub-£300 price point, some of the perceived quality difference comes from details such as fingerboard edge tumbling. On instruments with unvarnished fingerboards, you can do this yourself.
    Be seeing you.
  • 30hertz30hertz Frets: 41

I'd go Sire every time. Admittedly I'm slightly biased as I own a V7 ash five-string (version 1). The only mods I've made are:

1. replacing the stock tuners with Hipshot licenced HB6Cs (better action, plus it shaved half a pound off the weight of the bass);
    2. junking the stock string retainer in favour of a pair of Hipshot ones (far more secure, and quicker for string changes), and;
    3. taking the gloss off the back of the neck with steel wool (I far prefer a satin feel).

https://tshop.r10s.com/c9f/4f4/76a2/2215/7088/0543/d0d6/11c7e9a8832c600c429022.jpg

https://images.talkbass.com/attachments/bass_retainers-jpg

I'm not some sort of drug-taking alcoholic git.
    I'm just a git.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    My mate just spent yesterday out shopping for a first “decent” Bass for his teenage son, they hit GG Epsom & Andertons.

They came back with a Sire, said it just felt so much better put together than anything else at the price point.

Funnily enough he owns a USA EBMM Sterling, as in the original smaller bodied US model and I’ve got the USA SUB Sterling and we spent a bit of time comparing them. His is definitely the more finessed piece but in terms of playability there really isn’t a lot in it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom