Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Don't know if I could ever go back to a saloon or hatchback after an estate. The boot space is great, and they're not barge-like, unlike an SUV. A lot of SUVs have rubbish boot space anyway
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24298
    True - but they’re more difficult to find parking spaces for, plus whilst it’s great having the boot space, if you don’t really have anything to put in there and you have a van on the drive too, it’s a bit pointless.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I had an i30 on lease for 3 years until last month.
    Really economical, nice drive, never missed a beat. Good amount of space in the back too.
    If have had another but left it too late to order and the leading was too long so plumped for a used volvo in the end

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I don’t know if I could ever go back to an estate now I’m used to an MPV - they’re just the wrong shape... too long but with less internal room, and not as versatile. If I didn’t need a car this big I’d go for a hatchback.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    I have run two Lexus IS200s (saloons) over the past 16yrs. IS200s registered between 1999 and 2005 are great to drive, are rear-wheel drive, packed with equipment, and in my experience at least, very rarely develop a serious problem. The flat 6 2 litre engine runs forever (I sold my first when it had 150k on the clock, and my current car is going strong having done almost 110k). Suggest a manual over an automatic if you can find one.
    Jesus H Christ....  WTF is it with the used car trade?  I've sent emails (via the Autotrader 'contact seller' links) to six vendors about six cars now - basically asking the same questions;. What is the service history detail - is any of it main dealer and What are the details of the warranty you are offering?.

So far, one has replied answering only one question, three haven't responded at all, one texted me to say they had emailed me a response (they haven't, and texting them back to tell them has elicited nothing) and my favourite: "yes sir thankyou for your enquiry" (and nothing else whatsoever!).  I emailed that one back with "..and the answers to my questions are..??".   Nothing.

You wouldn't think I was a customer with six grand in cash that I wanted to spend would you?

How the fuck can anyone run a company like that?
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    58 Cadilac!
    edited April 2019
    ...and my favourite idiot has just responded.  The full sequence, verbatim, went:

Me: "Hi.  I'm interested in the Hyundai i40 you have for sale.  Could you tell me what the detail of the service history is - is any of it main dealer and what are the details of the warranty you are offering?."
    Them: "
    yes sir thankyou for your enquiry"
    Me: "..and the answers to my questions are..??"
    Them: "yes".

Okaaaaaaaay......

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Are ALL used car places staffed by illiterate dickheads?

I've just ended an online chat with a salesperson from a well known chain of car dealers.  He spelled "has" without the H, "log" with two Gs and ended with "was you wanting to view it this weekend?".

Turns out the car's last service was five years ago (but "we'll service it when it's sold").

Er.. no thanks mate.  You'll probably need to chisel the old oil out of the sump.
    Stay away from chains, both for buying and for servicing - they're all cowboys. Find a good small independent dealer who has good online reviews and offers an included (preferably 1-year) warranty, not one you pay extra for to a third-party company. That way you know the dealer is trustworthy, because it's his problem if anything goes wrong.

If possible try to find one who has all 5-star reviews on Autotrader etc - they can't afford to mess you about or they lose that. Yes, you will certainly pay slightly more for the same car from a dealer like this - I'm still entirely happy with the ones we've bought that way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I've found a cracker - has all the bits I'm after, right colour, full dealer service history, all motorway miles and cheap too.

The only problem is the sodding thing is in Glasgow.  Aaaaarghhh!!
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've found a cracker - has all the bits I'm after, right colour, full dealer service history, all motorway miles and cheap too.

The only problem is the sodding thing is in Glasgow.  Aaaaarghhh!!
    Get the train up and drive it back. It’s not like it’s in another country.

Yet :).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've checked - it's actually cheaper to fly!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Emp_Fab said:
    Don’t forget to factor in the taxi cost from the airport. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    It'd be a nice drive from Wales to Glasgow so...ohhh...

Just reading through and disappointed to find out that my car looks like a slice of cake...

https://i.imgur.com/4Mi1gyb.jpg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    Rocker said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Don’t forget to factor in the taxi cost from the airport. 
    If they want to sell the car, they'll collect you from the airport.  Make it a condition of purchase.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Jesus H Christ....  WTF is it with the used car trade?  I've sent emails (via the Autotrader 'contact seller' links) to six vendors about six cars now - basically asking the same questions;. What is the service history detail - is any of it main dealer and What are the details of the warranty you are offering?.

So far, one has replied answering only one question, three haven't responded at all, one texted me to say they had emailed me a response (they haven't, and texting them back to tell them has elicited nothing) and my favourite: "yes sir thankyou for your enquiry" (and nothing else whatsoever!).  I emailed that one back with "..and the answers to my questions are..??".   Nothing.

You wouldn't think I was a customer with six grand in cash that I wanted to spend would you?

Man it’s the  equivalent of a text on a gumtree add for a squier of what does it weigh to the nearest gram at 90% humidity  and can you measure the neck at each odd numbered fret- most dealers would have you down as a tyre kicker if you can’t be arsed to pick up the phone and speak to them. 

You are are looking for guarantees in a 5k motor which you are just not going to get. 

Given how risk averse you seem in the thread I’d say get a 6 yr old Kia Ceed with 80k on it. It will still be under the 7yr/100k warranty so any major issues will not be major issues for you.  Wife had one a while back and it was a solid motor. 

Good luck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3005
    These guys are good (in Telford). I bought my current car from them and had no probs (2 years). It's all hassle free and they just give you the keys and tell you to go and enjoy yourself if you want a test drive.

https://www.kembertoncarsales.co.uk/

I took this for a test drive the other day and I'm so tempted, it was immaculate for its age with full service history and drove well, but £450 - £600 insurance with no claims (have got 9 years but that's on my other car). Tax is also £300+ a year and if anything starts to go wrong it could end up a dear old do and regretting it.

It is a thing of real beauty.

Shall I? Shan't I? Shall I? Shan't I?

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Shrews said:
    These guys are good (in Telford). I bought my current car from them and had no probs (2 years). It's all hassle free and they just give you the keys and tell you to go and enjoy yourself if you want a test drive.

https://www.kembertoncarsales.co.uk/

I took this for a test drive the other day and I'm so tempted, it was immaculate for its age with full service history and drove well, but £450 - £600 insurance with no claims (have got 9 years but that's on my other car). Tax is also £300+ a year and if anything starts to go wrong it could end up a dear old do and regretting it.

It is a thing of real beauty.

Shall I? Shan't I? Shall I? Shan't I?

Hmmm, buying a 12 year old Merc is a big bill waiting to happen I reckon. I’d risk it if it was a big lazy v8 but not a 1.8 Kompressor. 
    Emp_Fab said:

Man it’s the  equivalent of a text on a gumtree add for a squier of what does it weigh to the nearest gram at 90% humidity  and can you measure the neck at each odd numbered fret- most dealers would have you down as a tyre kicker if you can’t be arsed to pick up the phone and speak to them. 

You are are looking for guarantees in a 5k motor which you are just not going to get. 
    I get it that I'm not a big spender, but is the used car trade thriving so well that businesses can afford to just ignore customers ?

What happened to basic common courtesy ?

I'm no business guru but - if they're selling cars in the mid-thousands range and they actually want to sell them, interacting professionally with potential customers might be a good starting point.