Buying a car

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    I was all set on the V40 until I watched a review on What Car's channel that said the ride was too hard and jittery and there was too much noise in the cabin.

So, I'm probably back to the i30 - but looking closely at the Focus.  I've decided I want something with all the toys - and I'll go older in order to get it within budget.  Heated leather seats with lumbar support and blowjob attachment is where I'm at now.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Emp_Fab said:
    I was all set on the V40 until I watched a review on What Car's channel that said the ride was too hard and jittery and there was too much noise in the cabin.

So, I'm probably back to the i30 - but looking closely at the Focus.  I've decided I want something with all the toys - and I'll go older in order to get it within budget.  Heated leather seats with lumbar support and blowjob attachment is where I'm at now.
    You need to test drive them, comparing an i30 to a Volvo on paper isn't what you want to do.  They are a different class, Volvo is trying to compete with BMW, Audi and the like for that segment whereas Hyundai is going for a lower tier of the segment.  What is loud in a Volvo might be whisper quiet in a Hyundai.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4164
    Yep, some test drives are in order.  Work on the basis that most modern cars are decent and reviewers are paid to pick holes in them to generate copy.  I'd be amazed if you could tell the difference in cabin noise level between a Focus and a V40.  Wheel and tyre choice makes more of a difference than switching cars.

Plus you've come from a Beemer, a ride that's on the hard side shouldn't exactly shock the pants off you ;)

Go and find something you like, and buy it.  Bollocks to Autocar knocking half a point off for some damn thing.  This is the modern era of reviewing where one thing is held up as the yardstick (probably the bloody Golf, it always seems to be) and everything else is crap.

Also happy birthday for yesterday :)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10265

Or do what I did and go for the S60 instead. 

More space and better looking. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    If you can find a 2.2l honda civic diesel you will be happy, economical, quick well built and a TARDIS inside
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31498
    This thread is five pages long, just buy a fucking car, dammit!!
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I’m very nearly there!  I’ve found a very sexy Volvo V40 with lots of toys.  I’m just waiting on the dealer to get back to me about the service history and, if that’s good, I’m having it.
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 451
    edited April 2019
    p90fool said:
    This thread is five pages long, just buy a fucking car, dammit!!
    Just for a bit of contrast, I sold my car last night at 8pm ... bought a new one this morning at 10am   boooosh!!
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • this thread will overtake the Peach R8 thread before EMP actually buys a car, by which point we will have developed single person flying EV mobiles  =)
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    cm01 said:
    Just for a bit of contrast, I sold my car last night at 8pm ... bought a new one this morning at 10am   boooosh!!
    Ditto. Spotted a car last night, went for a test drive, bought it today. Need to decide whether to trade in or sell the old one.

I've gone from a Mk7 Golf GTD estate to a Mk7.5 Golf GTD estate.
    7.5 has more extras (leather seats and reversing camera) as well as a much smoother 7 speed gearbox.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • my 15 year old peaugeot was up for mot this week so i briefly contemplated buying a newer one, but it passed, no problem, 
    Well, the car turned out to have no service history at all - no paperwork, no receipts, nothing.  So, fuck that. 

Onwards !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Warranty , the surety you are looking for. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904036589515
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    Remember, if you can walk away after you park, and not turn around to look at it, you bought the wrong car.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, the car turned out to have no service history at all - no paperwork, no receipts, nothing.  So, fuck that. 

Onwards !
    Not very sexy then... 

Belated happy bday and GL with your searches...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31498
    blobb said:
    Remember, if you can walk away after you park, and not turn around to look at it, you bought the wrong motorcycle.
    FTFY, cars are just tools. 
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    blobb said:
    Remember, if you can walk away after you park, and not turn around to look at it, you bought the wrong car.
    Lol, I do this every time, sometimes I look out the window at work just to look at mine, take random photos of it in car parks.  I like it far too much.
  • blobb said:
    Lol, I do this every time, sometimes I look out the window at work just to look at mine, take random photos of it in car parks.  I like it far too much.

Yep... can't argue with that.
    Sound more like a stalker than a driver.  :-)
    Emp_Fab said:

Onwards !
    Not very sexy then... 

Nooo, it was gorgeous !  Cream leather interior, lovely looking motor.  But....  I wouldn't chance it with anything that didn't have a service history - no matter how sexy it was.
    edited April 2019
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Onwards !
    Not very sexy then... 

Nooo, it was gorgeous !  Cream leather interior, lovely looking motor.  But....  I wouldn't chance it with anything that didn't have a service history - no matter how sexy it was.
    No service history or they lost the log book?

if they had it serviced by the dealer then there would be a computer record at Volvo.  You can ask them to check.  I’d expect the first couple of service when it’s under warranty to be at a dealer at least.

ps I lost my log book when it came to sell my Yaris but it had been serviced at the dealer (different ones) all its life so I asked a Toyota do me a print out with all the dates and they stamped it for me as proof.