Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Emp_Fab said:

The only other option is a one-way car hire 
    What colour car would you hire though?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Roland said:
    [slartibartfast mode] Those of us who haven’t got tinnitus might be hearing a faint tinkling. That’s the sound of the key ring which @Bridgehouse has just passed to me. The cooler keys themselves have more of a jangle.

For frequent visitors we also have an oubliette. That doesn’t have a key, but the stone slab grates as we slide it open. @digitalscream has borrowed my crowbar, but I’ve got a spare somewhere.
    STFU melonhead!

Surely lemon head, no?
    Oh I dunno, I was drunk.
    Look behind you - there’s a three headed monkey!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Emp_Fab said:

It’s £110 and 6h30 on the train.  The only other option is a one-way car hire or a 39h flight incl layovers from Cardiff to Newquay via Newcastle and Birmingham!  Or - I charter a private flight from Swansea to Newquay.
    You neglected to consider the option of travelling by sea - you could charter a boat, or, as an epic climax to this adventure, swim for it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    jaytmon said:

You neglected to consider the option of travelling by sea - you could charter a boat, or, as an epic climax to this adventure, swim for it.
    He’s already got a boat - it just needs a little work :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1744
    If and when this thread eventually ends what are we all going to do? 
    This has been my main source of entertainment for a few weeks now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    ICBM said:
    jaytmon said:

Ahhhh - another classic Emp thread.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    edited July 2019
    gubble said:
    Ends? Bear in mind he's never even sat in a Velsoter - thread 2.0 should run for a year 
    Red ones are better. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    So is the Veloster going to be the permanent EmpMobile ? Because I thought there was just going to be a temporary stopgap while the search for a proper car went on? And tbh I was looking forward to the 400 page epic on that one. 
    TTony said:
    ICBM said:
    jaytmon said:

Ahhhh - another classic Emp thread.  
    Had to look that up. It’s given me a whole new perspective on this thread....could be time to dig out those wellingtons... :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    boogieman said:
    So is the Veloster going to be the permanent EmpMobile ? Because I thought there was just going to be a temporary stopgap while the search for a proper car went on? And tbh I was looking forward to the 400 page epic on that one. 
    This is the one unless a yellow one turns up, that’s what he really wants.

i’m glad he has abandoned the 20miles idea!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    I'm betting he prefers driving the hire car to the veloster and then we're back to square one, or that he decides he wants his pilots license again, or decides that the only way to get the car he wants is to build one from scratch using a lawnmower engine and a crashed milk float
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    https://youtu.be/orIal3xwQ3k

Based in Swansea?!?!
    TimmyO said:

Bear in mind he's never even sat in a Velsoter 
    Ssssshhhhhhh ... can you imagine ...

• He makes that journey. 
      6hrs30min by train, hire car, microlight, or - let's be honest, this is  likely to be possible before he  actually makes the journey - the Star Trek Transporter
    • The car is really there.
      Surely, no-one would go to the trouble of creating a practical joke fake ad.

Would they?
    • A careful inspection by torchlight reveals no under-car issues.  No rust.  No misaligned wheels.  An engine in the right place.  Correct number of doors, etc.

Oops, its Veloster, forget the number-of-doors criteria.
    • Plugging in his  C3PO reader into the R2D2 port doesn't reveal any issues, nor start any inter-galactic wars that removes the need for a personal transportation unit.  Even a green one.

• The interior of the the glovebox is suitably moulded

• There are no bad welds hidden under the rear bench

• Forensic examination of the MOT history shows no issues, advisories, reservations, or vague doubts.
      And interviews with the grandmothers of the last 4 MOT test engineers suggest that they are - by and large - reasonably trustworthy.
      Plus DNA checks to confirm that the alleged grandmothers really *are* the grandmothers (can't be too careful).

• The engine starts and runs.
      It's the right engine for the car, and wasn't swapped when the front end had to be completely rebuilt after the accident.

• Hang on, the accident???

• Emp gets in, and the visibility is fine.  Even out of the letterbox (not in the Boris Johnson sense) of a rear window.  

• But it drives like a pig
      (looks aren't always deceiving).

After all this time, he's not actually driven one yet, has he???
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    Thanks for pissing on my parade Tony.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Thanks for pissing on my parade Tony.
    :D
    Well, did you actually drive that blue one that was localish?

I'm obviously joking (for the most part), but it is a little daft that you've set yourself on a specific car - make, model, variant and even colour - without having actually driven the damn thing, or anything remotely similar.

I'd like to humbly apologise if I've missed the bit where you took one for a test drive and confirmed that it's the one for  you.  

I'd like to, but ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    gubble said:
    Its not going to end.  We have to accessorise it yet.  The options are endless.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    TTony said:

Would they?

How much does it cost to place an ad on Autotrader?

Basic: Costs £9.95 for two weeks and includes up to 20 photos. Standard: Costs £14.95 for three weeks and includes up to 20 photos, mobile advantage and search standout. Premium: Costs £19.95 for six weeks and includes up to 20 photos, desktop advantage, mobile advantage and search standout.
    Red ones are better. 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716

Would they?

Oh that would be cruel....... Genius but cruel!! =)
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    TTony said

After all this time, he's not actually driven one yet, has he???
    What's the point of test driving a car before deciding to buy one?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    It's a bit difficult to test-drive a car that's in Cornwall when I'm in Wales.  It's highly unlikely to be defective in the way it drives compared with any other identical model.  So, it just boils down to "Will I personally be happy with the comfort, handling and performance of a Hyundai Veloster Sport?".   Either I will or I won't.  Given that that question has been of no importance to me for the past twenty years, because I've been given company cars that I had to drive, and had to adjust to no matter what, I'm not particularly concerned.  If anything, I'm in a better position as at least this time, I read and watched all the reviews of the car before deciding to get one.  The only criticism I've read about the handling etc is that the ride is a bit firm.  I trust that the millions of Veloster owners worldwide would have piped up if it drove like a Reliant Robin with leaky shocks, not to mention to professional car reviewers, but nothing like that has surfaced in my research.

Worst-case scenario is that I absolutely can't stand it, I sell it and chalk it down to experience.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.