ROLI Seaboard - any good for guitarists?

I'm a guitarist who dabbles with other instruments a bit
I can compose stuff on the piano controller, but not really perform well enough to want to play to other people
I tried several guitar synths to try to find a controller that let me add more expression when composing
The ROLI demos look as if those vibratos I know how to do on guitar could be used for synths and samples, along with my lap-steel slide skills

Has anyone tried them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Disclaimer - I've on;y tried it in a shop...
    But I found it very expressive and very intuitive, possibly because of my previous guitar playing experience. I think it may be slightly more problematic for "proper" keyboardists, but the only way to tell if it works for you is to try it.
    I believe it is a bit finnicky to set up with synths that do not support MPE natively (probably similar to a guitar synth) but I was using it with one of the synths it comes with. There are videos on the tube which demonstrate how to use kontakt with it, probably worth checking them out. As far as I know, the only DAWs which support MPE natively are Bitwig and Cubase 10.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    edited April 2019
    I called PMT, they have the basic 2 octave one in 4 shops, none near me, and they have bluetooth ones for use with phones

What other stores might stock these?
    I can do Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, and rarely London
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    It was Guitar Guitar in Glasgow I tried it in - probably not that convenient for you. They might have the dinky one in Apple stores. You could always buy one online and send it back if you don't like it. At the moment a Roli of some description is third on my GAS list, I just think they are slightly overpriced and I don't think the software is transferrable if you buy second hand.
    As far as I know they all have Bluetooth.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    @GavRichList may have some experience of them