The Darkness - Easter is Cancelled

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
Another new album from The Darkness:

For the first time since they released Permission to Land, I have to say I'm not actually bothered. Felt the last few albums have been mostly filler with only a couple of decent tunes - and I get a horrible feeling they're going political with this one (judging by the announcement vid).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FarleyUK said:
    Another new album from The Darkness:

For the first time since they released Permission to Land, I have to say I'm not actually bothered. Felt the last few albums have been mostly filler with only a couple of decent tunes - and I get a horrible feeling they're going political with this one (judging by the announcement vid).

OK. 

I think you're too quick to judge...

Permission to Land was an unprecedented success. I don't believe they would ever go political. I think they're too busy trying to save rock n' roll to worry about politics. 

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Pre ordered already, one of my fave bands and LOOK was a great album, PS not so much but not bad. We shall see! At least they will tour soon, one of the best live bands left and you don't have to go to some faceless arena to see them :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Album came out last week - thoughts?

I listened to it on the way in this morning, and if you prefer acoustic guitars instead of electric, it'll be up your street.

God I miss the days of Permission to Land.... although having said that, there are some stonking riffs on Easter is Cancelled and Rock and Roll Deserves to Die.
    I think it's fuckin brilliant if I'm honest, strongest album since PTL for me! There have been some corking songs on other records but in all honesty this one is quality. Some of the riffs are amazing and the usual quirky lyrics and humour. Proper rock songs for once with no restraint. Really can't wait for the gig in December now!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I have it on my phone but haven't listened yet. Tonight, inshallah
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Boromedic said:
    I think it's fuckin brilliant if I'm honest, strongest album since PTL for me! There have been some corking songs on other records but in all honesty this one is quality. Some of the riffs are amazing and the usual quirky lyrics and humour. Proper rock songs for once with no restraint. Really can't wait for the gig in December now!
    Yeah, I think it's their best one since PTL as well - but I just wish they'd stop farting around with power ballads and acoustic guitars all the time. When they go balls-out, it's amazing - they just need to do it a lot more (IMO).
    I have it on my phone but haven't listened yet. Tonight, inshallah
    Mash'allah!! Get it done mate ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah, I think it's their best one since PTL as well - but I just wish they'd stop farting around with power ballads and acoustic guitars all the time. When they go balls-out, it's amazing - they just need to do it a lot more (IMO).
    I know what you mean, but I do quite like the power ballads if I'm honest! Some of the guitar work this time is amazing.

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Anyone interested in going to see them in Cambridge on 6th December?

• Another vote for their best album since PTL. There have always been good tracks on the other albums but this one, barring the bonus tracks, works top to bottom for me. Dan’s done a great job on the sound too. 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
    I agree on the production, the albums Dan produces always sound brilliant. I love the production on Last Of Our Kind and Hot Cakes too, EIC sounds immense though!

• dariusdarius Frets: 619
    'You're so metal, I'm afraid you'll rust'

Class.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Went ten pin bowling with them once, my lame to fame
    darius said:
    'You're so metal, I'm afraid you'll rust'

Class.
    My favourite has to be:

"You've  bitten off more than you can chew
    I hope my heart was a tasty hors d'œuvre
    You don't wanna hug
    You need the Heimlich manoeuvre"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I've listened a good few times now. It's a cracker. A couple of tracks I'm not bothered by, but a couple of classics, and some ridiculously good guitar sounds in places. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I've been a huge fan of the band for years (since 2003, a little bit pre-Permission to Land, but not by much)

[I'm a millennial, ok?]

If it wasn't for The Darkness, I probably wouldn't have quite the same eclectic musical appreciation I have to this day.

While all the cool kids are listening to bands who replace U's with V's in their names, and dreary weird noises that people seem to think is music... here I am digging through The Darkness  and then the back catalogs of Queen, Thin Lizzy, DC...

"they don't make 'em like they use to" certainly seems to be true.

Thank God for The Darkness, Airbourne, The Struts, Greta Van Fleet et al who are going to carry on the torch.

Now to the album itself this isn't my favourite of theirs. I feel there is some excellent tracks and there's also some murky dishwater...

Heart Explodes, Choke on It, How Can I Lose Your Love, and In Another Life are right up there

The rest is average at best except deck chair which is just bleedin' awful.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2019
    Which albums are your faves if you don't mind me asking?