Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Escape to the country

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
edited April 2019 in Off Topic
We're currently living in Crawley. A town with a population of about 100,000 in West Sussex. Regularly turns up in 'crap town' lists, but is actually very conveniently located within half an hour's journey to London or Brighton, well served by motorways, rail, and is only ten minutes from Gatwick. Like any reasonably-sized town it has its problem areas, but it has been our home for nearly thirty years now.

Anyhoo, Mrs9000 and I are thinking it's time to relocate. The south east (as anyone who lives there will know) is getting massively more busy and more crowded than ever. Huge amounts of housebuilding going on. Car parking becoming increasingly difficult. Any car journeys are taking more time than ever as going any distance seems to involve an obligatory being stuck on the M25.

I've always been a townie, but since Mrs9000 is a Norfolk lass, our current thought is to move to a village or very small town within the Broadlands AONB. Probably with a population of 3000 - 4000. So far fewer amenities than I'm used to but I have to admit I'm actually quite liking the idea of a quieter and more relaxed way of life.

Anyone done anything similar? Did it work out for you? Anything we should be aware of that might not be obvious?

It's still early days and at the moment all we've really done is to narrow our search area, check out stuff like local pubs, GP surgeries, bus and rail links, etc. However, any advice or words of wisdom from your own experiences would really be appreciated.

Ta.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    We moved from West London to Oxfordshire in 2015, after 10 years of living in London.
    Really love country life- you do end up spending a lot more time in the car though, but it was worth it to be so close to nature.

I look forward to getting back there once our current posting to Singapore finishes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited April 2019
    Moved three years ago from a town of 150000 to a village of 4000.  Only 20 miles but feels like another country.  Village life is mostly great.  Its quieter, calmer and just nicer.  However, public transport is virtually none existent (and we a rail line - one per hour outside of morning rush when its two) so cars are essential.  Also and its a small thing, takeaway food is very limited.  Diliverooo riders don't come this far so if we fancy a curry it's major exercise.  Minor issue really.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Can't stand cities.  Give me country any day 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31492
    The first thing you need to ask yourself is not what current city amenities you'll being moving away from, but which ones you actually ever use. It can be worrying leaving Wembley Stadium or the Tate Modern behind until you remember you only ever went to them once.

I've happily swapped all that for not having to reset two alarms and lock three doors between carrying every armful of shopping or band gear into the house. 

Moved three years ago from a town of 150000 to a village of 4000.  
    Village of 4,000? Our nearest town only has a population of 900, and the county town is only 4,500, though it's all relative obviously.
    :)
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Looking to move to the South West in the future. I'd go now but now the wife and I have our daughter and wouldn't want our families to miss seeing her grow.

We will go eventually, for the same reasons you want to move. Our crowded, increase in serious crime, building high rise high price flats on every square inch available, traffic and a decline in green space. And that's in Watford, not even in the City.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3677
    Moved from London to the Oxfordshire six years ago and no regrets. Far moe friendly than the city, more space and a better style of life. You do need to pan a bit more; Sainsbury’s is no longer a 5 minute walk away when you run out of milk and, if you work in London the commute can get tiring. But i only do it a couple of times a week. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Go for it, you won’t regret it I’m sure.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890

Moved three years ago from a town of 150000 to a village of 4000.  
    Village of 4,000? Our nearest town only has a population of 900, and the county town is only 4,500, though it's all relative obviously.
    :)
    Does 900 count as a town?

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    Thanks for the replies. Some interesting thoughts there. I had thought I'd miss the variety of shops that are currently on my doorstep but, to be honest, a lot of the stuff we used to buy in town now comes via the magic of the internet.

I suspect (but who can tell until it actually happens) that the things I'll miss will be cinema and the local jam and open mic nights. Although, as Mrs9000 has pointed out, it only needs a few like-minded souls to set those up myself if I've got the inclination.

Not too worried about takeaway food - we rarely bother as it is. We're aware that food shopping will need to be planned rather than spontaneous - no more running into town last thing before Sunday lunch when we discover a lack of horseradish!

We both enjoy walking and nature, and I'm keen to get out more while we're both still fit enough.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11883
    we did it in 2002. Getting broadband was a problem then, it arrived 3 years later. I assume some villages or isolated houses still don't have it, best to check.

Much harder to get quality ethnic restaurants & takeaways, make sure you know how to cook. I had to learn that in one place we stayed for a year.

We have it 5 times easier to get appointments for GPs and hospitals, and a higher quality of experience since we moved from the big city.

I've found that most people rarely drive out to visit once you've moved out of town, but you make new friends

A lot of incomers move into my current town, but I have heard that some villages can be more insular and be a bit frosty with incomers, personally I hope that's not true these days.

The first village we moved to was very pretty, but ironically had less places to walk the dog, since it was surrounded by farmland. It's worth checking the local footpaths if you want to go out frequently

• HAL9000 said:
    We're currently living in Crawley. 
    Get out. ASAP.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    Good luck @HAL9000 I think a lot of us in and around the M25 will be doing the same in the coming years. Although some of the places i thought would be good to move to have also become really traffic heavy.
  • Japan is on the cards here. Rent out our flat in London, and rent a small house in Japan. Just need to figure out what I would do for work. Maybe work remotely and freelance doing production work.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Good luck @HAL9000 I think a lot of us in and around the M25 will be doing the same in the coming years. Although some of the places i thought would be good to move to have also become really traffic heavy.
    Thanks. That was part of our thinking in looking at an AONB. Hopefully it will restrict the amount of future development.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    we moved from a commuter village just inside the M25 (and basically part of Borehamwood) to a tiny village (pop about 150) 1/2 a mile from the middle of nowhere 9 years ago. Pluses are it's incredibly quiet here and at night dark (you need a torch if you get up in the night) and the countryside here is amazing, plus only half hour from dartmoor and the coast. Downsides, everywhere is a car journey away, work wise you need to be prepared for a long commute or work from home, small villages are incredibly clique, and everyone thinks they know your business and think they have a right to tell you what to do. If you don't join in with the village activities you risk being ostracized. We are actually thinking of moving and are looking at a small town or larger village, at least there is a bigger range of things to do. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    ... Small villages are incredibly clique, and everyone thinks they know your business and think they have a right to tell you what to do. If you don't join in with the village activities you risk being ostracized. We are actually thinking of moving and are looking at a small town or larger village, at least there is a bigger range of things to do. 
    That was our thinking and one of the reasons we're only looking at places with a population of at least 3000.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11883
    edited April 2019
    Japan is on the cards here. Rent out our flat in London, and rent a small house in Japan. Just need to figure out what I would do for work. Maybe work remotely and freelance doing production work.
    TEFL?

https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/esl-teacher-salaries-9-countries-where-youll-make-bank#japan
  • Japan is on the cards here. Rent out our flat in London, and rent a small house in Japan. Just need to figure out what I would do for work. Maybe work remotely and freelance doing production work.
    TEFL?

https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/esl-teacher-salaries-9-countries-where-youll-make-bank#japan
    Well the UAE can fuck right off that's for sure!!

Bye!

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Japan is on the cards here. Rent out our flat in London, and rent a small house in Japan. Just need to figure out what I would do for work. Maybe work remotely and freelance doing production work.
    @WiresDreamDisasters ;Japan would be great for you Drew, when we rented an Airbnb in Hiroshima the owner was from Rochdale! He lives over there with his Japanese wife. He’s a Jazz bassist. I’m sure you’re fully aware of the mad work ethic over there, just don’t get stuck in an 18 hr a day office job ;)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Grew up till the age of 18 in a village of 800. Never ever going back to that shit!  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom