extend a jack without swapping the cable

darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

I'm doing some minor changes to my rack, and swapping out a pedal, the rack is really well cabled, professional job, pancake jacks just perfect, until I swap this pedal out, which has the input/output right next to each other so the pancakes won't allow both to plug in at the same time. I don't want to swap this cable out, nor do I want to take the jack off as chances are %50 that I'll either swap this pedal back or swap it to something different after some real world use.

Is it possible, is there a device or cable that can be made that will allow me to present one of the jacks as a standard "long" jack rather than pancake to test this pedal out ? sort like a headphone extension cable ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

not so much worried about the cost, it's something that would be handy to have around anyway, more worried about the quality and will it work and will it impact anything ?

This looks a great solution if you think it's something of "ok" quality

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    edited April 2019
    It would probably be OK for light use.

@ICBM is right about the price - Neutrik connectors alone would cost > £10.

This one is better quality: 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Van-Damme-SPEAKER-Extension-Conductor/dp/B076PJQSMW

Ignore that - it's a speaker extension. But the same with signal cable would be a similar price.

R.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    darcym said:

This looks a great solution if you think it's something of "ok" quality

The locking socket is excellent, the plug on the other end a bit less so - I'd prefer to see a NP2X - but still perfectly adequate for this job.

At that price I'd probably buy two if this is something you may need again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    Or a NP2X-B  ;)
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    thanks guys, bought a few, looks like it maybe useful while trying out some of the rack changes.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    That's the problem with pancake jacks - they take up a large area.
    I swapped to using EBS flats in my pedalboard.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    If I'm understanding you correctly, in that you want to simply extend the lead temporarily, why not just use a spare fx pedal (preferably true bypass) to connect two leads together? A bit cumbersome, but potentially zero cost just to try it out.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........