SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Looking For Dr Z stuff - prefer Maz 8/18 and a Cab

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
edited August 2013 in Amps £
Gasing for Dr Z stuff....

Anyone with anything ? Open to ideas...

Cheers,

Waz

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    Haha, you do love your amps Warren. What is it your hoping the Z will do that your Redplate cant?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Hi Alan,

The Redplates a keeper !

I love the whole Dr Z vibe. Great forum, and tried em recently at Peach guitars. Fancy a head and cab though....

Also, would like a Two Rock.

It never ends does it ???

whats your latest GAS ?

• preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    The strange thing is I'm not GAS'ing for anything at the moment, I would like a new guitar, preferably a custom shop strat or Tele with a humbucker in the neck.

Got in toch with Doug at Coda and my ideal Tele would be £2700, which is more than I can afford at the moment. They do have a Redplate CDS2 in the 2nd hand section with tempted me a little bit, but not enough.

I would love a Two Rock, but only for the clean's
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Mild hijack : how did you find the Carmen Ghia (if you tried it) - I have a Maz and love it but also sometimes wonder if I'd also get on with the even simpler CG...
    Red ones are better. 
    Timmyo, I didn't get chance to try the CG... But I think I would love the simplicity of it... I would like another trip to Peach Guitars - the guys were great there !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spenietele at top of feed 
    Dr Z ezg 50 for sale oval front style in blonde with 4x10 cab . Less than 6 months old brought from peach great condition great amp don't want to sale but need smaller combo.Based in Berkshire £1500 or trade for fenderish comboPics will be added
    You can never have to much...........
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3221
    edited August 2013
    TimmyO said:
    Mild hijack : how did you find the Carmen Ghia (if you tried it) - I have a Maz and love it but also sometimes wonder if I'd also get on with the even simpler CG...
    CG is MAZ-like of course...you can't fail to like it...and the 25th anniversary model has a master volume now!

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I'm gassing to try an Antidote. It could be the one!!
  • Don't think you could go wrong with any Dr z there all very cool and have there purpose
    FWIW I have the RP Blackverb and an EZG-50. The simplicity of the EZG is what I like about it. It just gobbles up pedals and if you spend a bit of time you can get loads of different tones out of it using Amp in a Box type pedals. I have 3 of that ilk (Menatone TBIAC, Blue Collar and WMB) on my board plus an SOV2, a BB a Suhr Riot and a clean boost. I would like to find room for my Wampler Pinnacle, but that means something else will have to go. That scenario is more versatile than the RP to me. If I absolutely had to part with one of them the the RP would have to go.

I suppose you need to decide what you want it for. The Maz is great, huge range of tones in there but to get at them you need to do some knob twiddling. If you a playing blues all night then it would be fantastic, but playing in acovers band I need a wider a range of sounds. The Maz isn't quite as versatile in how it takes to pedals. Now the Antidote............!!!
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    @Timmyo ;

I recently swapped my Maz 18 NR combo for a Carmen Ghia head and 2x10 cab. The Maz has more clean headroom, but is also dirtier, is less compressed, louder, massively more versatile and a better platform for effects... but the Ghia is just spellbinding. Amazing harmonic content. Incredibly three-dimensional. Lives somewhere between Vox and Fender and just sounds magic, to my ears. Also records better than the Maz, which always sounded a bit thin to me whenever there was a mic in front of it. 
    chrisv;22246" said:
    @Timmyo 

I recently swapped my Maz 18 NR combo for a Carmen Ghia head and 2x10 cab. The Maz has more clean headroom, but is also dirtier, is less compressed, louder, massively more versatile and a better platform for effects... but the Ghia is just spellbinding. Amazing harmonic content. Incredibly three-dimensional. Lives somewhere between Vox and Fender and just sounds magic, to my ears. Also records better than the Maz, which always sounded a bit thin to me whenever there was a mic in front of it. 
    Appreciate the post mate...

what's the CG like at low/home levels ?

Cheers

hywelg said:
    FWIW I have the RP Blackverb and an EZG-50. The simplicity of the EZG is what I like about it. It just gobbles up pedals and if you spend a bit of time you can get loads of different tones out of it using Amp in a Box type pedals. I have 3 of that ilk (Menatone TBIAC, Blue Collar and WMB) on my board plus an SOV2, a BB a Suhr Riot and a clean boost. I would like to find room for my Wampler Pinnacle, but that means something else will have to go. That scenario is more versatile than the RP to me. If I absolutely had to part with one of them the the RP would have to go.

I suppose you need to decide what you want it for. The Maz is great, huge range of tones in there but to get at them you need to do some knob twiddling. If you a playing blues all night then it would be fantastic, but playing in acovers band I need a wider a range of sounds. The Maz isn't quite as versatile in how it takes to pedals. Now the Antidote............!!!

Hywelg, appreciate your time too...

how do you find the EZG at low volumes (ie home) ?

does the EZG have the 'bloom' of the Blackverb ?

I find both the RP and the EZG need to be rehearsal volume levels to sound good. I don't find the RP that good at low volumes myself, though the way I have the OD set, very low Gain, just to put a little bit of hair on it, its nice. I don't think the full on OD sound is that great tbh. Bloom, well I can get that feedback Dumbly thing but not at low volumes. Can't with my Ceriatone either, and frankly for what I play I think its overrated.

No what i like about the EZG is the unfussy way it delivers a great clean tone. Not overly bright, very bassy with a big thump in the low end, and each pedal shows its true character clearly and distinctly. It is a gigging amp though and thats where it shines, like all AB763 Fenders (which is the circuit its based on), it needs to be at 4½-5 on the volume dial. At home I have an early SOV-1 which I set to just juice up the input a little. Matt Schofield gigged one for a year or so before he went back to TR and he sounded just the same. He did it to get away from all the hype surrounding Dumble clones and he said that he didn't want to get caught up in that Robben/#102 hype.

If you'e looking for a home player the EZG isn't it unless you live on a farm. Neither is a Maz 18, its as loud as the EZG. I haven't tried the Maz8 but I was disappointed with the M12, far too chimey, didn't take my pedal as well as I had been led to believe.

edited August 2013
    Hywelg,

Great comments mate, and very interesting views... I agree about the OD on the Redplates, especially the CDS2. They are fine, but nothing more than that. The cleans are what make the Redplates shine for me... I owned a Blackbverb combo for a while, and really enjoyed it, but it was that little too heavy as a combo...

You know mate, I'm all over the place at the moment. Here's my current thoughts;

1.) Morgan AC 20 Deluxe (head and cab) - really liked this, and it offers the 'voxish' alternative to the Redplate

2.) Two Rock Studio Pro 35 (head) - love love love the TR sound, and this really appeals

3.) Start the Dr Z journey - like the thought of interchangeable cabs/head (Blonde probably). But love the sound of the Antidote, 
    enjoyed playing the Max 18, and I'm interested in just about every other model !!!!!!

Definitely want a head/cab but I do play a lot at home, which may require an Airbrake to help with the Z's....
  • Bumpo
  • Still lookin and gasin...
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    FWIW; my two cents on the topic would be that Z's don't sound great at 'home' volumes, they deserve to be cranked a bit, so bear that in mind. Still loving the Moog delay WM (guess who :)
  • Well, well, well.... I wondered where you had got to my good friend ! Still GASing for a second amp. All over the place really... What's your main amps now ?
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Always Riveras for me! super versatile and they sound great. I had a mini Z which was awesome but best when really cranked. My next amp will be a Bad cat... for what I guess your budget is Warren I'd suggest a good look at them; some folk reckon them to be Matchless killers... (oh and I'd LOVE a Swart atomic space tone)