100mph Lucky Poos Needed

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2222
    Yep the hydraulic lifters take ages to fill up again, especially after they've been cleaned. Sometimes an hour or 2.
    I sold a pair of HKS high lift cams that came with a head I had donkeys years ago. Apparently the chap I sold them to really struggled to get an acceptable idle :)
    I think once you get rid of the flappy MAF and start running your own ECU you'll really get the best out of those cams.
    Looking good so far.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 1694
    edited July 17 tFB Trader
    FX_Munkee said:
    Yep the hydraulic lifters take ages to fill up again, especially after they've been cleaned. Sometimes an hour or 2.
    I sold a pair of HKS high lift cams that came with a head I had donkeys years ago. Apparently the chap I sold them to really struggled to get an acceptable idle
    I think once you get rid of the flappy MAF and start running your own ECU you'll really get the best out of those cams.
    Looking good so far.
    Well, they took all of 15 minutes to quieten down! Quite amazed how much smoother the engine now runs (excluding the cams of course). I'll get another vid uploaded over the weekend.

We’ve agreed the next upgrade is a standalone ECU with variable TPS and replacing the MAF with an IAT sensor. 

Van is packed, the trailer is prepped, we're off to Cadwell after work on Thursday
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2222
    Are you going to get a throttle body from an auto? That used to be the cheapest route to get a variable TPS.
    Good luck at Cadwell.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    tFB Trader
    FX_Munkee said:
    Are you going to get a throttle body from an auto? That used to be the cheapest route to get a variable TPS.
    Good luck at Cadwell.
    I think we'll use the variable TPS from the 1.8, as that's what ME221 recommends.

Thanks!
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

edited July 18 tFB Trader
    CADWELL LIVE TIMING - Saturday 20th

I'm starting the race this time, with Nick bringing her home.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 1082
    Best of luck!
    edited July 19 tFB Trader
    Got up early this morning for a track cycle, it’s effing steep!

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    edited July 20 tFB Trader
    Well that was dreadful.

We’ve been suffering with an overheating problem on the car since we first got on track yesterday and whilst we’ve improved it, the car is down on power and won’t rev past 6k. Struggling to break the 2min barrier.

To top a crap quali session off. Nick didn’t come in when he was supposed to and when he eventually did, the session was red flagged so I didn’t get to set any times. I then had to do two laps behind the safety car as a sort of ‘naughty boy’ punishment in front of everyone.

Bollocks.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

tFB Trader
    Race Report

After a useless Quali session, we started on the back row next to a Ginetta G40 and right behind a Class C Toyota MR2.
    I missed the lights going out by a split second whilst trying to start our in-car race clock, and subsequently dropped behind the G40 in the run up to the first corner. The plan was to muscle past one car and just get my elbows out, follow a few faster cars for a few laps and hopefully make something happen.

That didn't work out.

Both myself and the G40 got stuck behind the orange MR2 for a few laps, he was quick in a straight line but wasn't confident on the brakes so was stopping quite early for each corner. The G40 got past him on lap two and I did on lap three. Unfortunately, by that time the rest of the field had disappeared up the road so all I could do was try and pull away from the MR2 and make it to the pitstop. I just tried to set faster laps each time and not get in the way of the leaders as they came through. It's quite disheartening to be so far off the pace, but I guess that's motorsport.

I came into the pits on lap 11 and handed the car over to Nick, who after our mandatory 1 minute stop went out and set our fastest lap of the race, which was nice as the car was still running hot and possibly down on power. Unfortunately for Nick, a Pug 205 binned it out of the last corner into the barrier and brought out a red flag, and the race was called after 15 laps. 3-1/2 hour drive for only 4 laps, he was gutted.

Still, we didn't finish last (on pace) and got a signature on our upgrade cards - 5 more and we can race at Spa!

Cadwell Park is an incredible track to drive, my favourite so far even if we were so slow. Next up is Donington Park on 7th September.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 6331
    RiftAmps said:
     5 more and we can race at Spa!

Wowzers...that'll be quite something.

Best of luck at Donington, I would try and make it for that, but we'll be spectating at the British GT the following weekend so unlikely I can get a pass out for two consecutive weekends.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 1082
    How annoying to get stuck behind that MR2. Looks like he wasn't taking the best lines either. Like you say, that's motorsport but at least you got more experience and left him for dead once you'd got past. 

Will be interesting to see how competitive you are after a few more races. I wonder whether the 'cheque book racing' effect may be quite large? Paddock chats will tell you I'm sure!