112.8mph Lucky Poos Needed

What's Hot

Comments

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1374
    RiftAmps said:
    Got to Brands at 7am, all signed on, just waiting for scrutineering
    Brands is a hell of a track. Well it is on a bike. Full circuit? 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    We finished P27 on the road, but unfortunately got disqualified for repeated track limit infringements - turns out I like to ride the kerbs, hard ;)

Absolutely incredible day and now all I want to do on my days off is go racing. The car is a hoot to drive and I had a huge smile on my face as I managed to keep the #66 BMW 116 behind me for about 10 laps to the end. 

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Full race onboard

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited April 2019
    That looks brilliant!

Squeaky bum moment on the way into paddock at 16.50.

Some of those other cars are fast, that winged bmw, the caterham and the cayman in particular.

Whoever was wearing the open face helmet.....it's hard to be sure from the video but it looks like your turn in is a little early at mclaren and this is slowing you down through clark, leaving you open to being overtaken down the straight?

Was it the use of the kerbs at graham hill that led to the disqualification?

Also, one of you is using 2nd gear at druids, the other isn't. Would be interesting to compare your laptimes / splits to see which is faster.  Could well be that 3rd gear is both quicker and easier on the car?

tFB Trader
    NelsonP said:
    That looks brilliant!

Squeaky bum moment on the way into paddock at 16.50.

Some of those other cars are fast, that winged bmw, the caterham and the cayman in particular.
    The speed differences are insane, yet watching their onboards it looks pedestrian!

Whoever was wearing the open face helmet.....it's hard to be sure from the video but it looks like your turn in is a little early at mclaren and this is slowing you down through clark, leaving you open to being overtaken down the straight?
    Nick started, I finished.

Mclaren is mega tricky to get right, seems to be a million different lines through there and it's VERY slippery on the outside. Probably the corner that scared me the most.

Was it the use of the kerbs at graham hill that led to the disqualification?
    Yup!

Also, one of you is using 2nd gear at druids, the other isn't. Would be interesting to compare your laptimes / splits to see which is faster.  Could well be that 3rd gear is both quicker and easier on the car?
    The 2nd-3rd synchro is on its way out, so I had to stay in 3rd for my stint and try to carry more corner speed. You can hear Nick slamming it into 3rd and crunchy noises ensued.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    aaaaaaannnndddd we're back.

We had to miss the second round of the season at Croft as Nick got married, so we're now looking forward to the next race on Saturday 20th July, at Cadwell Park, Lincolnshire. We've also entered the remaining races of the season at Donington Park, Snetterton, and Silverstone.

As neither of us have driven Cadwell before, we've taken the opportunity to join the official test day on the Friday, which will give each of us valuable track time to learn what everyone calls "the mini-Nurburgring". One thing that we discovered at Brands Hatch was how little time you actually get to learn the track and practice. If you only enter the race you get 25 mins to Practice/Qualify, which of course is split between two drivers so at most 5/6 laps each before the race, not a lot at all! The Friday test day will allow us to get some dedicated seat time (2x35mins each) that will hopefully translate into better results.

The car needs a little work after the last race, mainly swapping over the fuel filler neck to a non-restricted one so we can get our fuel churns in and not have to refuel at the petrol station every time. The engine-cutoff pull cable snapped too so we've got to fit a replacement. A simple nut and bolt check and we'll be good to go.

However, I've stripped down, ported, polished, cleaned, and refreshed a new cylinder head fitted with Piper 285H race cams, so we want to get that onto the car to give us some more top-end power. They say it'll be worth an extra 15bhp with the factory ECU. The entry list for our class is 6 cars strong (2 x BMW 318s, 2x Toyota MR2s, a Pug 106, and ourselves) and we think they're all running at the class limit so every bit of power is welcome.

If you'd like to see us race, tickets are £12 per adult, £8 for 12-15s, and children go free. If you enter voucher code 750MC you'll get some discount off those prices - https://cadwellpark.msv.com/CP-19-750

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I am green with envy!

Good luck. Stay off those kerbs ;-)
    tFB Trader
    Cadwell Prep begins:

Removing the old cylinder head

...and the new one installed and running.

We've still got to break it in, which the Friday test day will be perfect for and then we'll do an engine oil&filter change ready for race day. The hydraulic tappets were quite noisy but I completely disassembled and cleaned all 16 of them, so when they finally fill up with oil and reach operating pressure they should quieten down.

One thing to note: the idle is rougher now (as expected) so wouldn't recommend these camshafts on a road car, we've had to set base idle 100rpm higher to keep it stable. Piper do a milder profile - 270H- for road use. The engine does sound better under load and definitely has that race car burble - I'll try and get some better video when it's all settled down.

It took us 9 hours in total to do the swap, but some of that was taken up by replacing seals and hoses whilst we had it apart, along with troubleshooting a few small issues. This race head will need to be refreshed after 30 hour's use so hopefully next time it'll be a quicker changeover.

A final few bits to finish off tomorrow and she'll be race-ready:)
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    Rawk on man! This is where it's at. I had an Audi 3.0TDi (only discovered that when he passed on the mWay)) up my chuff on the twisties 2 days ago. He was all over the opposite lane on corners. So basicly, if you drive a fat torky shit box. Doin't endanger other road users. Dick.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Woohoo!  I love Cadwell. Many fond childhood memories of going to British bike events there as a sprog, watching middle-aged nutters on ancient sidecars hooning around the hairpin (they used the short circuit for that) and always being conflicted about wanting the drama of an off but not the inevitable risk to life and limb that went with it.

I think my old man even won a trophy at Cadwell once (for coming second in a class of two :) ).
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Yep the hydraulic lifters take ages to fill up again, especially after they've been cleaned. Sometimes an hour or 2.
    I sold a pair of HKS high lift cams that came with a head I had donkeys years ago. Apparently the chap I sold them to really struggled to get an acceptable idle :)
    I think once you get rid of the flappy MAF and start running your own ECU you'll really get the best out of those cams.
    Looking good so far.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:
    Yep the hydraulic lifters take ages to fill up again, especially after they've been cleaned. Sometimes an hour or 2.
    I sold a pair of HKS high lift cams that came with a head I had donkeys years ago. Apparently the chap I sold them to really struggled to get an acceptable idle
    I think once you get rid of the flappy MAF and start running your own ECU you'll really get the best out of those cams.
    Looking good so far.
    Well, they took all of 15 minutes to quieten down! Quite amazed how much smoother the engine now runs (excluding the cams of course). I'll get another vid uploaded over the weekend.

We’ve agreed the next upgrade is a standalone ECU with variable TPS and replacing the MAF with an IAT sensor. 

Van is packed, the trailer is prepped, we're off to Cadwell after work on Thursday
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Are you going to get a throttle body from an auto? That used to be the cheapest route to get a variable TPS.
    Good luck at Cadwell.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    tFB Trader
    FX_Munkee said:
    Are you going to get a throttle body from an auto? That used to be the cheapest route to get a variable TPS.
    Good luck at Cadwell.
    I think we'll use the variable TPS from the 1.8, as that's what ME221 recommends.

Thanks!
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

CADWELL LIVE TIMING - Saturday 20th

I'm starting the race this time, with Nick bringing her home.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

Best of luck!
    Got up early this morning for a track cycle, it’s effing steep!

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well that was dreadful.

We’ve been suffering with an overheating problem on the car since we first got on track yesterday and whilst we’ve improved it, the car is down on power and won’t rev past 6k. Struggling to break the 2min barrier.

To top a crap quali session off. Nick didn’t come in when he was supposed to and when he eventually did, the session was red flagged so I didn’t get to set any times. I then had to do two laps behind the safety car as a sort of ‘naughty boy’ punishment in front of everyone.

Bollocks.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

tFB Trader
    Race Report

After a useless Quali session, we started on the back row next to a Ginetta G40 and right behind a Class C Toyota MR2.
    I missed the lights going out by a split second whilst trying to start our in-car race clock, and subsequently dropped behind the G40 in the run up to the first corner. The plan was to muscle past one car and just get my elbows out, follow a few faster cars for a few laps and hopefully make something happen.

That didn't work out.

Both myself and the G40 got stuck behind the orange MR2 for a few laps, he was quick in a straight line but wasn't confident on the brakes so was stopping quite early for each corner. The G40 got past him on lap two and I did on lap three. Unfortunately, by that time the rest of the field had disappeared up the road so all I could do was try and pull away from the MR2 and make it to the pitstop. I just tried to set faster laps each time and not get in the way of the leaders as they came through. It's quite disheartening to be so far off the pace, but I guess that's motorsport.

I came into the pits on lap 11 and handed the car over to Nick, who after our mandatory 1 minute stop went out and set our fastest lap of the race, which was nice as the car was still running hot and possibly down on power. Unfortunately for Nick, a Pug 205 binned it out of the last corner into the barrier and brought out a red flag, and the race was called after 15 laps. 3-1/2 hour drive for only 4 laps, he was gutted.

Still, we didn't finish last (on pace) and got a signature on our upgrade cards - 5 more and we can race at Spa!

Cadwell Park is an incredible track to drive, my favourite so far even if we were so slow. Next up is Donington Park on 7th September.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    RiftAmps said:
     5 more and we can race at Spa!

Wowzers...that'll be quite something.

Best of luck at Donington, I would try and make it for that, but we'll be spectating at the British GT the following weekend so unlikely I can get a pass out for two consecutive weekends.