SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB - Valve head with good cleans/ headroom

BeexterBeexter Frets: 597

Can't seem to find what I'm looking for so what have you got? I'm based in East Grinstead, Sussex, looking to pay up to £350 max.

I'm thinking something around 30w would fit the bill but am open to suggestions above and below that although I would take a lot of convincing that anything less than 30w would work based on the fact that my "must haves" are:

1) Clean headroom that will get over an enthusiastic drummer without micing.

2) Must have either an effects loop or on-board reverb

3) Head not combo.

Anyone selling?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Laney Lionheart L20H £275

Kept up with our enthusiastic drummer for punk, ska and new wave - not squeeky clean music but I used the clean channel with a drive pedal in front of it. Plenty of headroom when I kicked the boost pedal in for solos.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    I do like the tone of the Lionheart but don't think the 20w would be loud enough. I already have a 15w Laney Cub Head and could use a bit more clean headroom. Thanks for posting though. Lovely amp.
  • Am I right in think that due to being pure class A, the Laney will likely be a lot louder than a 20w class A/B amp? It has 4 x el84 which are used for the 36w Marshall's
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    You might just get a 2nd-hand carvin legacy 1 head for that - loop, reverb, AMAZING cleans that will NOT break up despite what you do. OK it's 100 watts but it has a 50 watt setting. People say it's too loud, but if you manage to nudge the volume knob by micrometers to the setting that's quiet enough for you, it still sounds amazing. It's reknowned for its cleans, and obviously for its Steve Vai-like lead channel which is growly, dark and superb. And on clean, when you turn it up it just refuses to crack. I got one with a 4 x 12 cab loaded with Vintage 30s for 500 on ebay a few years ago, and they are still coming down in price.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.