SORTED - Looking for Vox 'chime'

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 6025
    ICBM said:
    I owned two original 1960s AC4s - which are hand wired and have EF86s - and they weren’t good either! They look pretty, that’s about it... but the modern ones are different circuits.

The AC4TV is the one with volume, tone and a built-in attenuator - it sounds muddy and un-Vox-like. Not quite as bad with very bright single coils, but really not good. The AC4C1 has the Top Boost controls and master volume - much better. It also now comes in a 12” speaker version, but I haven’t seen one and I don’t know if the cabinet is deep enough to take a Blue.

The AC10 also unfortunately can’t take an Alnico speaker, there isn’t enough clearance between the magnet and the power valves.

eh? I had an original AC10 twin with Alnicos, it was lovely

I'm assuming you mean the current model AC10?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    I had an AC15TBX and I never really liked it either. Not at all like an AC30.
    same here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Ef86 is overrated IMO. I never gor it to break up musically in my matchless build. Was always too raspy until I replaced it with a 12ax7.

sacrilege

Then again, I use them on the edge of breakup, both in AC15 and DC30
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 41578
    edited April 15
    Ef86 is overrated IMO. I never gor it to break up musically in my matchless build. Was always too raspy until I replaced it with a 12ax7.
    I don’t like them either. They sound somewhere between bland and shit depending on how hard they’re being driven... a 12AX7 is miles better.

ToneControl said:

eh? I had an original AC10 twin with Alnicos, it was lovely

I'm assuming you mean the current model AC10?
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 12281

I find it's quite sensitive to pickups and pedals. With singles or P90s and a little clean boost it's really really nice. But gets pretty meh pretty quickly with humbuckers and/or drive pedals
  • CastroCastro Frets: 123
    Thanks to you all for your input so far.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 3411
    How about a nice amp that can go a bit Fendery, Marshally or Voxy? Dr Z Maz 18 NR amp? Great versatile range of tones.

Did I mention I'm selling one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96uXxXXY1yw

;)
    Wheels within Wheels
  • Ac15 at low volume has loads of chime. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Sorted now - decided to go the Vox route.
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 62
    Cool, what did ye go for?
    @kreggs I bought an AC10 on Reverb for £250 should arrive in a couple of days.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 62
    Nice :)
  • camfcamf Frets: 857
    @Castro Are you able to run an 8 ohm extension cab with the AC10? Does it disconnect the internal speaker or would it work with both? 
    @camf I haven't tried an extension speaker as it is 16ohm and I only have an 8 ohm cab.
    camf said:
    @Castro Are you able to run an 8 ohm extension cab with the AC10? Does it disconnect the internal speaker or would it work with both?
    Castro said:
    @camf I haven't tried an extension speaker as it is 16ohm and I only have an 8 ohm cab.
    I can't remember, although I think it does - no risk in trying it to see if you don't crank the amp right up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

P.S. @camf if you plug in a 16ohm cab it does disconnect the internal speaker.
    Cheers @Castro. @ICBM, do you think an AC10C1 could be nodded to run an 8 ohm cab with the internal speaker? Or would it always be as an alternative? I’d like to be able to use my 8 ohm 12” Blue along with it if possible. 
    camf said:
    Cheers @Castro. @ICBM, do you think an AC10C1 could be nodded to run an 8 ohm cab with the internal speaker? Or would it always be as an alternative? I’d like to be able to use my 8 ohm 12” Blue along with it if possible. 
    You could run the extension cab in series, which would give a 24-ohm load - a safe mismatch for a 16-ohm amp. It should be easy to rewire the jack if it's not PCB-mounted - I can't remember that either!

The other option I’m wondering about would be tracking down an AC15 head. Costs a bit more and a bit heavier too.
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 248
    camf said:
    The other option I’m wondering about would be tracking down an AC15 head. Costs a bit more and a bit heavier too.
    May not be relevant/of interest but I recently picked up a 2nd hand NT15H which is discontinued (I think there’s a newer version that’s quite different) for under £200 and although it needed a repair (which the seller paid for) I’m now amazed at how much loud and clean Vox chime I get with it plugged into a 1x10 Alnico 50w cab. Even maxed on the volume knob and boosted with an ep booster also maxed it remains almost totally  clean and incredibly loud with single coils for 15w. Perhaps more importantly it’s classic Vox sparkly/chimey all the way! It is surprisingly heavy for a ‘lunch box’ style head. 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies” Orwell

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious” Wilde

“Living is easy with eyes closed” Lennon

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest