Composition Challenge #26 - Chat

stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited April 2019 in Making Music
COMPOSITION CHALLENGE #26

Time for round #26 of the Fretboard Composition Challenge.

Every few months there'll be a composition challenge. It revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing and recording music based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular challenge.

No prizes for this challenge. It's just for fun, a spur to creating, sharing, discussing music/recording and learning. Plus a way of testing the water with your creations and getting some feedback.

GUIDELINES -THEME

The idea for this theme comes from @Fretwired in the post on 3rd Feb at the link below:

The theme for this one is: "A track inspired by one of your favourite bands/artists".
This is wide open from metal to blues to jazz to acoustic folk. Name the band with your submission. The track needs to be "in the style of" and not a direct copy of a track by the band/artist.

Note: I've said "one of your favourite bands/artists" because I still need to decide mine, which could be Free, Steely Dan, Extreme, Jeff Beck, Robben Ford etc etc.

Picture: In addition to the music, try to create your own picture that relates to your selected theme/title. This isn't mandatory but, as a small incentive, those that provide a picture will be awarded a free point to add to their voting score. Note the picture can be anything from a hand drawn sketch, photo, photo edit or something generated in a graphics package.

DATES AND VOTING

Fretboard Challenge #26 starts NOW! - Submission deadline -  Midnight 17th July 2019

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline and run for about two weeks, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

The entry with the most points wins.

The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends.

SUBMISSION DETAILS

All recordings and pictures need to be sent via email to Compositions@theFB.co.uk

Songs to be submitted in mp3 format.
Pictures to be in jpg or png format.
It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Definitely going to try and do something for this ... I suspect anything I've recorded in the last 8 years would be suitable #UnintentionalClone
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Ooh interesting. Basically everything I've written has been an intentional rip off of something already existing, and more often than not an unintentional rip off of something else unrelated so this should be interesting.

Mine will either be White Stripes or Jeff Buckley (hoping solo artists count as he had a backing band...)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Bands or solo artists are OK.
    It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    @Bezzer are you okay if I resort to using Google English to German translate along with some synths and metal guitars again or do you fancy a shot this time? 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    @flying_pie go for it man, I’m thinking I’m going to go weird this time! 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sounds like Rammstein might be popular .... I have a title .. Floydian slip .... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Rediscovered Pod Farm yesterday, as I've finally found a way to get it working with less latency (thanks for nothing, Cubase) which was rather fun given there are models for both the Silvertone 1484 and Fender Vibroverb that Jack White used in White Stripes, plus now IRs are a thing that they weren't before when I last used Pod Farm so will be having some fun playing about with that too. Hoping to be somewhat more Guitar-ey than I've been on my last few efforts here.

Coming up with a tune fitting to the style is currently the hardest button to button... ba dum tish.

Mine's pretty much finished. Anyone else making progress?

It's not a competition.
    I have a riff and lyrics. Will start working on it soon when I finish the cover Challenge 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    done and sent.
    poopot said:
    done and sent.

Received. That's the first one in.

It's not a competition.
    Mine's pretty much finished. Anyone else making progress?

I'm getting there but mostly only in my head at the minute, no idea if my actual voice can reach the pitch etc but should be fine I think. If not I'll just distort it and jobs a good un :)

poopot said:
    done and sent.

Received. That's the first one in.

Will send another mix across... not happy with that :)
    nuver version sent
    Only one week to go. Deadline is midnight 17th July 2019.

Only received one entry so far, plus I've done mine apart from the picture. How's everyone doing with their entries?

It's not a competition.
    Only one week to go. Deadline is midnight 17th July 2019.

Only received one entry so far, plus I've done mine apart from the picture. How's everyone doing with their entries?

I've stalled. Will see if some inspiration comes over the weekend
    Only two days left.

I might have to consider extending the deadline if we don't get more entries soon.

It's not a competition.
    Done mine
    It's not a competition.
    Sadly my time has dropped lately to take part in these - I had a riff, I had a kind of verse, and the chords for the chorus but every time I try to do it I forget what my chorus tune was (which I think means the chorus tunes I'm coming up with aren't very good) and Sally not had time to record anything to megabits
  • Just sent my entry,
    My influence for this track would be Duane Eddy. Played on a Fender Stratocaster Deluxe 2006, Simple deep notes with whammy  bar shimmerings and a modern rhythm track. A theme tune to a  movie that was never made. I recorded it in 2018 but i think it fits the theme for this challenge.