Health and Safety etc.

What's Hot
nocaster60nocaster60 Frets: 4
As well as the usual insurance and PAT documentation a venue we have a booking at also want a risk assessment and method statement. Has anyone got anything that's got past the health and safety police that they're willing to share?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    You can do all that and they'll still ask you to set up in front of the fire door.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited April 2019
    Never did understand H&S. The world's a fucking dangerous place.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Why? Are you an employer with more than 5 employees carrying out a business ?  Ask them what element of work involving enhanced risk merits such a document .  
  • From experience I've never found anyone who has asked for H&S documentation open to debate. However, in answer to my question, and for future reference I found this web page

Many thanks to FiddlersWreck Ceilidh Band.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    From experience I've never found anyone who has asked for H&S documentation open to debate. However, in answer to my question, and for future reference I found this web page

I was going to send you some stuff over mate, but that Fiddlers stuff is superb...
  • Curious as to the type of venue which has asked for that, we get asked for them for festivals and outside gigs ,  very rarely does a venue ask unless it’s council owned. The only criticism I have of the Fiddlers one which is very good, isthere should be  a clause in both documents stating the venues requirement to provide safe and certified mains power, and safe and appropriate access for loading in and out.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • TitchTitch Frets: 45
    I think we've been asked about three times over the last eighteen years as a band for insurance and pat testing documentation, two have been hotels and one was a venue in a public park for a charity fund raising event.
    Having read the "Fiddlers" documentation (very useful for anyone not familiar with doing risk assessment etc.) I would agree with maltingsaudio about the venue being electrically safe and safe access.  
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    It's normally a requirement of the venue's insurance that they check. 

The HSE website has loads of pretty good documents on you can use. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Speaking as someone who gets audited on risk assessments at work: There are a few places in that linked method statement where they’ve used phrases like “suitable” or “appropriate”, ideally you’d be more specific as the output of a risk assessment shouldn’t be subjective or dependent upon the person’s opinion.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    From experience I've never found anyone who has asked for H&S documentation open to debate. However, in answer to my question, and for future reference I found this web page

I was going to send you some stuff over mate, but that Fiddlers stuff is superb...
    I'd copy paste from Fiddlers but insert a line about how 'the band expects all venue management to be wearing taffeta ball gowns and only answer to the title 'milady' in order to see if they actually read it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I used to do risk assessments and method statements for my day to day for installing cooking equipment. From what I can recall the risk assessment must be done for each location. You shouldn't use a generic one, in case you need to rely on it at a later date. IE if you need to access the venue upstairs etc, you should specify how the equipment is going to be carried up stairs etc.
    Incidentally I'm sure everyone knows the M&M story from Van Halen? They did insist certain M&M's being removed from the bowl, basically if they weren't they knew the venue hadn't read the bands contract. Stipulating that the power supplies are up to scratch and everything else is safe.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    BigMonka said:
    Speaking as someone who gets audited on risk assessments at work: There are a few places in that linked method statement where they’ve used phrases like “suitable” or “appropriate”, ideally you’d be more specific as the output of a risk assessment shouldn’t be subjective or dependent upon the person’s opinion.
    It’s Far much more than a few places ! :)  -  Almost ever statement has a caveat in it, such as “where possible” or similar.  Basically they could do what they want and show it met the requirements of the document.
    thee are sensible aspects such as where the speaker stands go in relation to the public.

DrJazzTap said:
    I used to do risk assessments and method statements for my day to day for installing cooking equipment. From what I can recall the risk assessment must be done for each location. You shouldn't use a generic one, in case you need to rely on it at a later date. IE if you need to access the venue upstairs etc, you should specify how the equipment is going to be carried up stairs etc.

HSE actually encourage you to go generic ones, as long as you have the ability to modify in the hoof (“dynamically”) when you get there.  Most of our work is day visits where there is no practicable way of planning in detail in adavnce

I’d prefer RA / MS which were generic for every job, and which define what leeway the individual worker has to deviate from that when at the job.  
  • Curious as to the type of venue which has asked for that, we get asked for them for festivals and outside gigs ,  very rarely does a venue ask unless it’s council owned. The only criticism I have of the Fiddlers one which is very good, isthere should be  a clause in both documents stating the venues requirement to provide safe and certified mains power, and safe and appropriate access for loading in and out.
    It's an Oxford University college.
    It's an Oxford University college.
    Ah I see no surprise there, definitely get a certificate for the electrics befor you go!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk