Restoring a Prs EG-II to original, help needed with modding a scratchplate.

What's Hot
bignormbignorm Frets: 191
edited April 2019 in Making & Modding
I want to restore this rare Blue PRS EG-2 to original.

The chap who made up this Humbucker and Singlecoil scratch plate for the previous owner, luckily marked out on the underneath where the Domino shaped holes should be.
so hopefully it should be a straightforward job for someone with a steady hand and the right tools to modify the scratchplate for the incoming pick ups from Alegree, who’s busy cloning one for me as I type this.

The guitar originally had 2 Fralin Domino noiseless single coil pickups and a Prs Humbucker like this

I live in Devon and ideally I’d like to find someone fairly local to do the job.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Mansons?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Can't be very far from this forum's very own @DartmoorHedgehog ;

P.S. If anybody is making bespoke replacement scratch plates, I could do with ordering one for my old, modified, EGII.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    I think I might have two original PRS black speed knobs, if you want them - better than those horrible lampshade ones! (I'll need to look for them...)

The pickup selector cap should be a standard black CRL-size one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    ICBM said:
    I think I might have two original PRS black speed knobs, if you want them - better than those horrible lampshade ones! (I'll need to look for them...)

The pickup selector cap should be a standard black CRL-size one.
    Yes please it was on my to do list along with a 5 way crl switch as there's a 3 way in there at the mo  ... I'm happy to buy them just pm me

edited April 2019
    Can't be very far from this forum's very own @DartmoorHedgehog ;;

P.S. If anybody is making bespoke replacement scratch plates, I could do with ordering one for my old, modified, EGII.
    I dont know Dartmoor Hedgehog ill check him out.

Re custom made scratch guards.. Let me know what you want and I'll ask Alex who made his.
    I know he kept the template so it'll be easy to knock another one up. I need a black replacement for my red EG2 coz it's broken. 

• Can't be very far from this forum's very own @DartmoorHedgehog ;

Blimey... if you were suggesting I may be able to do the job then thanks for the thought but I don't know if I'm really the right person.  I've made a few things for myself but it's all been strictly blagging it really - not sure if I should be let loose on somebody else's stuff!  I used an angle grinder while making a violin FFS ;)

But having said that, I've got files, dremel etc (but no router) and @bignorm would be welcome to drop by and use them if that helps.
    Can't be very far from this forum's very own @DartmoorHedgehog ;

Blimey... if you were suggesting I may be able to do the job then thanks for the thought but I don't know if I'm really the right person.  I've made a few things for myself but it's all been strictly blagging it really - not sure if I should be let loose on somebody else's stuff!  I used an angle grinder while making a violin FFS ;)

But having said that, I've got files, dremel etc (but no router) and @bignorm would be welcome to drop by and use them if that helps.
    Hi.. I think letting me loose with a dremel would be highly dangerous, I used to do my own soldering and guitar wiring until old age dimmed my eyesight.
    My hands are also a tad shaky these days which is handy for certain "metime hobbies" but not so good for delicate wiring.
    I gave up my soldering iron after a quick guitar cab rewire cost me a new tee shirt and living room carpet
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well @bignorm if you're local to me (I'm in Princetown) then I'd be happy to give you a hand if it's just a bit of dremeling/filing or soldering.  But if it's more involved then my tool collection is more mechanic than luthier :)
    I'm no @Andyjr1515 that's for sure.
    Well @bignorm if you're local to me (I'm in Princetown) then I'd be happy to give you a hand if it's just a bit of dremeling/filing or soldering.  But if it's more involved then my tool collection is more mechanic than luthier
    Thanks for the kind offer, I've got a local chap who's a model train enthusiast who’s used to small fiddly jobs 
    cheers
    edited April 2019
    The restoration work is well on the way now..
    Alegree is busy cloning the Fralin Domino noiseless pick up 

The Scratchplate is being recut for the Dominos over the weekend.
    The guitar was manufactured in 1992 and has the rare Baby Blue finish

The hardware has been junked and a new crl 5 way switch has been ordered
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited April 2019
    bignorm said:

Damn. You have given away the EG II's ghastly secret. Its flexible neck. (NOT the neck joint. The wooden parts fit tightly and the anchoring screws do their job admirably.) On my EG II, the actual neck flexes where the shallow tongue meets the full thickness of the neck and fingerboard. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    bignorm said:

Damn. You have given away the EG II's ghastly secret. Its flexible neck. (NOT the neck joint. The wooden parts fit tightly and the anchoring screws do their job admirably.) On my EG II, the actual neck flexes where the shallow tongue meets the full thickness of the neck and fingerboard. 
    i dont have that issue with my EG's
    The real problem on the first run was there wasn't enough wood around the neck pocket and they'd crack.
    All the EGs from 1992 on are beefed up by having more wood around the neck pocket.
    I agree there's one hell of a lot of wood removed for the neck pick up but I've never experienced any tuning issues or neck flexing problems. 
  • bignorm said:
    Well @bignorm if you're local to me (I'm in Princetown) then I'd be happy to give you a hand if it's just a bit of dremeling/filing or soldering.  But if it's more involved then my tool collection is more mechanic than luthier
    Thanks for the kind offer, I've got a local chap who's a model train enthusiast who’s used to small fiddly jobs 
    cheers
    No worries.  Good luck with the restoration.
    Pick guard sorted

Copper tape arriving today.. 
    I can't wait to start on the restoration now
    edited May 2019
    I emailed Shawn at Prs to ask for a schematic for my EG2, unfortunately he didn’t have one in his archive. 
    So I posted a mewants on the Prs forum (ironically moderated by Shawn) and they came up trumps.. I’ve now got a rare as rocking horse poo schematic from Prs !! and a spare Fralin Domino pick up winging its way from a really nice chap from New York 
    You gotta love the full bore Prs enthusiasts who never bin anything.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Nice thanks for posting that @bignorm ;
    Adam_MD said:
    Nice thanks for posting that @bignorm ;
    I have schematics for EG1 (H/S/H) EG3 (S/S/S) too if anyone wants them 
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Yes please