What ever happened to the the brilliant John Clark?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
John Clark was the amazing guitarist who took over Alan Holdsworth's position in Bruford after Alan left. His playing is incredible and holds his own on Bruford's follow up to the 'One Of A Kind' album; 'Gradually Going Tornado'.
Truly an incredible player who was able to match Holdsworth's style.

What ever happened to him?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    edited April 2019
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    John Clark toured and recorded with Cliff Richard from the early 80s up until at least 10 years ago. For obvious reasons his playing with Cliff was quite different to his work in Bruford.

I was fortunate to attend a John Clark gig in Wokingham in the mid/late 80s. He was a pretty impressive player to say the least.

I'm not sure what he's doing these days or whether he still works with Cliff.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    According to my Mother John is no longer Sir Clifford's guitarist. She doesn't know who the new guy is though. In the bits of footage I've seen over the years John is no slouch and reminded me of Alan Murphy a little too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited April 2019
    I've often wondered what happened to him. An amazing guitarist. I was lucky to meet him and see him play a few times. He was in a covers band with drummer Mark Brzezicki. This was well before either of them got 'famous'.

He also came to at least one gig of a band I was in. I remember John Clark trying a guitar he was thinking of buying from my band mate. Sitting in front of him, close up to the stuff he played, was mind blowing.

I think that the last time I saw him was probably at the Wokingham gig mentioned earlier. IIRC he was playing a red inexpensive guitar (wish I could remember the model) through a Mesa Boogie combo and got a great tone. Is that the gig where he played a load of Jeff Beck tunes? I went up to chat at the break and he remembered me and said nice things. A true great and a really nice guy.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    edited May 2019
    A 2009 look at his home studio: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/studio-sos-john-clark (gives John's contact email address at the bottom)

His credits on AllMusic: https://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-clark-mn0003067231/credits
    Last credit is on Cliff's live 2015 album.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Ahhh yes, I have some Bruford albums. Excellent guitaring from Mr Clark.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    I've often wondered what happened to him. An amazing guitarist. I was lucky to meet him and see him play a few times. He was in a covers band with drummer Mark Brzezicki. This was well before either of them got 'famous'.

He also came to at least one gig of a band I was in. I remember John Clark trying a guitar he was thinking of buying from my band mate. Sitting in front of him, close up to the stuff he played, was mind blowing.

I think that the last time I saw him was probably at the Wokingham gig mentioned earlier. IIRC he was playing a red inexpensive guitar (wish I could remember the model) through a Mesa Boogie combo and got a great tone. Is that the gig where he played a load of Jeff Beck tunes? I went up to chat at the break and he remembered me and said nice things. A true great and a really nice guy.
    I only just saw your post @stratman3142 . When I saw him in the mid/late 80s it was at Angie's club just on the outskirts of Wokingham. Do you remember that place? It was a bit like a scouts' hall and most the audience were a Hell's Angels chapter who were ok if you kept out of their way :D  Great bands there but it only lasted a few years.

I can't recall what guitar he was using but I'm pretty sure it was a Boogie amp. One of those evenings that left me inspired to practice more or wanting to give up entirely :)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    Jimbro66 said:

I only just saw your post @stratman3142 . When I saw him in the mid/late 80s it was at Angie's club just on the outskirts of Wokingham. Do you remember that place?
    It was a long time ago, but I'm 90% certain it was Angie's. That name certainly rings a bell.

It's not a competition.