Songwriting help

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
edited May 2019 in Theory
Probably not the right section here but Hope you can help? At the Birmingham guitar a couple of years ago there was a stand who were selling a songwriting book/course. Can anyone remember who they were? Or even if you can recommend a songwriting course/book too? Not into too much theory as I’ll just glaze over but just feel there are songs in me that I just can’t get out

Hope you can help 
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    There are loads of books.

When you say song writing are you including vocals in this?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    There are loads of books.

When you say song writing are you including vocals in this?
    It will be. My band are having a go at some original material but I refuse to write any lyrics because I’m crap at words but yes the songs will be vocal songs. I’m just coming up with a riff or chord structure and will be collaborative 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I'm going to be a bastard here and be the one to say. Surely it's not something you can teach or learn ... you either have the natural talent and melody or you don't.
    I tried for years and sadly I don't. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    AlexO said:
    I'm going to be a bastard here and be the one to say. Surely it's not something you can teach or learn ... you either have the natural talent and melody or you don't.
    Well it can’t be too different from writing a guitar solo. I create melody in the solo from the chord sequence by ear well enough. 

Im just stuck creatively when it comes starting from scratch and falling into the trap of sounding like another song etc 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    It’s an interesting subject. I’ve never attempted to write songs as in lyrics and chord sequences but like you I have effectively contributed to songs with riffs, melody, solos etc once the basic structure is in place.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    AlexO said:
    Well it can’t be too different from writing a guitar solo. I create melody in the solo from the chord sequence by ear well enough. 

Im just stuck creatively when it comes starting from scratch and falling into the trap of sounding like another song etc 

Sorry just read your other post about not writing lyrics.
    I was reading song writing as a whole structure of song not just the music.
    My bad 
    Just wish I could remember the company who wrote a whole series of books on the subject who were selling them at the Guitar show :(
    It is but it goes over song structure and other things.
    There isn't really a magic book that will tell you how to do things exactly.

Just get started with a 4 chord pattern, manipulate the rhythm, try swapping major for minor chords. Make mistakes as it's the best way to learn things.
    Try riffs, play them backwards, mess about and have fun. Something will come
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    AlexO said:
    Not with that attitude.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2360
    Was it 'the guitarists solo and song writing companion' by Paul Ramsay and Sarah Worley?

Rikki Rooksby has several books on songwriting, some are guitar orientated.  How to write songs on guitar and the song writing sourcebook, might be a place to start.
    Ddigger said:
    Was it 'the guitarists solo and song writing companion' by Paul Ramsay and Sarah Worley?

Rikki Rooksby has several books on songwriting, some are guitar orientated.  How to write songs on guitar and the song writing sourcebook, might be a place to start.
    Yes @Ddigger I think that was it. It looked good when flicking through it but didn't take the plunge and kind of regretted it ever since. I can get one on Amazon I see now :) 
    Ddigger said:

Yes @Ddigger I think that was it. It looked good when flicking through it but didn't take the plunge and kind of regretted it ever since. I can get one on Amazon I see now :) 
    I bought this book in the end and I thoroughly recommend it. :) Thanks for the pointers guys
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Get on the looper, or better still, a Trio+

I find that to be the best songwriting tool hands down. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    edited May 2019

Yeah I think that's a very good idea i.e. Trio+. Don't suppose anyone has got one for sale?
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Get some hardware and get started!

Shortly after I started to play I remember reading in a magazine (probably Guitarist as it was the only one at the time and I don't think they were importing the American ones at the time) that a good way to learn how to improvise was to play along to a recording of yourself playing chords.

I bought a system that included a four-track cassette recorder by Amstrad and almost immediately started writing songs. I listened to a lot of Stooges, Neil Young and Sex Pistols so everything sounded like third rate copies or a homage.

Most of my earlier stuff was garbage, but I was experimenting with progressions and structures from everything I listened too. In all honesty, learning how to arrange songs kind of spoiled my enjoyment of listening.

I got better at writing. Nothing terribly notable or groundbreaking I guess otherwise I'd like to think I may have been more successful.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965

Yeah I think that's a very good idea i.e. Trio+. Don't suppose anyone has got one for sale?
    I haven't actually used mine for months, as I have a multitrack looper and Zoom R16 which gets more use now. I could actually free up some board space if I got rid of the Trio+ and Footswitch. Happy to have a chat about it if you want on pm

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    edited May 2019

I haven't actually used mine for months, as I have a multitrack looper and Zoom R16 which gets more use now. I could actually free up some board space if I got rid of the Trio+ and Footswitch. Happy to have a chat about it if you want on pm
    Yeah let's talk. I've PM'd you @Legionreturns ;
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited May 2019
    Pat Pattison writes some good books. Teaches songwriting at Berklee and has had John Mayer and Gillian Welch amongst past students. Some of his ideas have been very helpful for me, others less so.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pat-Pattison/e/B001KMFZ02

Another good book is 'Tunesmith' by Jimmy Webb.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tunesmith-Inside-Songwriting-Jimmy-Webb/dp/0786884886/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=songwriting+webb&qid=1557124786&s=books&sr=1-1-catcorr