VH4 does Funk

What's Hot
ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
edited April 2019 in Plug My Stuff
just finished a media music brief I got to create a funk piece..
the interesting thing I guess is using a Diesel VH4 throughout for the rhythm and solo tones
which is I guess a little unconventional..

not sure where to post this..
could be studio / recording, amps, making music, technique..
the mods can decide..
anyways.. enjoy..

play every note as if it were your first
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24170
    Lovely bass tone!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Lovely bass tone!
    thanks matey..
    it's Native Instruments Scarbee [which is a Stingray], some careful programming and I reamped it through the Axe-FX [Ampeg and 8x10cab]
    and I doubled the main parts of the baseline with the guitar to help make it sound more natural..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Branshen said:
    This is awesome!!
    thanks matey
    Clarky said:
    Lovely bass tone!
    thanks matey..
    it's Native Instruments Scarbee [which is a Stingray], some careful programming and I reamped it through the Axe-FX [Ampeg and 8x10cab]
    and I doubled the main parts of the baseline with the guitar to help make it sound more natural..
    At some point you should buy a bass! :D 

Clarky said:
    Lovely bass tone!
    thanks matey..
    At some point you should buy a bass! :D 

yes I know... and I know I want one..
    thing is.. what one..
    I've always liked Stingrays cos they can do anything, and Ricks cos I'm a Progger at heart
    The new Stingray Specials are amazing. Can get 2 bucker version with a 5 way switch to give you the trad ray sounds but also a good jazz sound and a passable P sound as well.

Not cheap though - they've hiked the prices for the new model!
    The new Stingray Specials are amazing. Can get 2 bucker version with a 5 way switch to give you the trad ray sounds but also a good jazz sound and a passable P sound as well.

Not cheap though - they've hiked the prices for the new model!
    I've always loved Stingrays..
    my old funk bassist had the single pup one and it sounded lovely..
    it had the sort of tone that'd work in any genre
    I like them too.

Although my current gig is Big Band Jazz and R&B (proper R&B - Aretha etc), and after going through all my basses a good old Precision with flats is working best. A ray won't really do that sound - the pickup is too far back to sound plummy.

Turns out the Duck Dunn approach is still the right one for that sort of thing!

I like them too.

Although my current gig is Big Band Jazz and R&B (proper R&B - Aretha etc), and after going through all my basses a good old Precision with flats is working best. A ray won't really do that sound - the pickup is too far back to sound plummy.

Turns out the Duck Dunn approach is still the right one for that sort of thing!

sounds like a pretty niche tone you're looking for
    I suppose it is niche now. Was standard in the late 50s to 60s.
    I suppose it is niche now. Was standard in the late 50s to 60s.
    aaah...
    in truth I know very little about bass stuff..
    if I'm honest I don't know huge amounts about guitars of guitar stuff..
    I just play them and know my own rig

when folks start talking about vintages and all that sort of thing it's largely lost on me..
    I guess that's one of the things about being a leftie..
    my own guitar world is quite a small one so I tended not to take much notice of things I can't play
    I took a modern super jazz to my big band rehearsal a couple of weeks ago and it just sounded wrong in that context, at least with steel roundwounds on it. There was just too much going on in the bass tone. (It’s much better with flats on it for that)

Most of the music was written with double bass played pizz in mind so a thumpier sort of tone with lower harmonic content fits far better. Double bass has hardly any sustain played pizz, so there’s that initial attack, then the bloom and then it fades quick.

Its all low mids, a double bass doesn’t have much true bass, and it doesn’t get in the way of the baritone sax, the bones or the piano.

Turns out getting that with a Precision loaded with flats is dead easy!

Cant wait for the next gig!
    I took a modern super jazz to my big band rehearsal a couple of weeks ago and it just sounded wrong in that context, at least with steel roundwounds on it. There was just too much going on in the bass tone. (It’s much better with flats on it for that)

Most of the music was written with double bass played pizz in mind so a thumpier sort of tone with lower harmonic content fits far better. Double bass has hardly any sustain played pizz, so there’s that initial attack, then the bloom and then it fades quick.

Its all low mids, a double bass doesn’t have much true bass, and it doesn’t get in the way of the baritone sax, the bones or the piano.

Turns out getting that with a Precision loaded with flats is dead easy!

Cant wait for the next gig!
    ah yes I see where you're coming from..
    I imagine that playing in a big band is amazing fun..
    I played in a funk band once that had a small horn section and it was so much fun..

not to long ago I had to create a pair of media music pieces in Rockabilly style..
    a pal of mine played double bass on that for me..
    interestingly it also generates high freq clicks on occasion where the strings 'fizz' against the fingerboard..
    when the pieces were sent to the curator for review I was asked to eq them out
    personally I liked them because it was a real instrument being real..
    but in media music land, everything has to be more pristine..
    In rockabilly it's common to put a contact mic under the fingerboard on a double bass to make sure the clicks are heard!

Even more so in psycholobilly  - Horrorpops wouldn't sound right without it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i_Wpgq7Rjo

In rockabilly it's common to put a contact mic under the fingerboard on a double bass to make sure the clicks are heard!

Even more so in psycholobilly  - Horrorpops wouldn't sound right without it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i_Wpgq7Rjo

exactly... no different from a funk slap bass.. all those clicks are part of it..
    personally I liked it.. but was told to get rid..
    that sort of decision is never mine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom