At what point do you pull the plug on a gig?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited April 2019
    Don’t do it would be my decision. But check it out first on another band night before hand as mentioned above. My kit and band members safety are too important to risk it. Unless it is worthwhile taking the risk. Promoters being there or paying you shed loads etc then maybe I’d think about it 

Probably nothing to do with being a gypsy community it’s just the pub is run by arseholes which can attract similar clientele etc    
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    throw a sickie, or claim some other unavoidable commitment, but make sure you can't be contradicted later
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    edited April 2019
    The problem for me is not that I'm in a rough pub, it's that I have thousands of pounds worth of not very portable equipment on the stage behind me. 

We've stopped doing any pub gigs during Royal Welsh Show week now, for the same reason. 

I'm sick of trying to load gear in and out of what's basically a riot situation, then having to start swinging punches or Telecasters at punters who won't leave our singer alone.

Last year we had to have two security guys stood on the stage with her, but after the gig when I went to get my car there were four guys sat on it. I just got in and drove off, but I've had enough of it now, I'll end up in jail sooner or later just for trying to do my job. 

Life's too short. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    p90fool said:
    The problem for me is not that I'm in a rough pub, it's that I have thousands of pounds worth of not very portable equipment on the stage behind me. 

We've stopped doing any pub gigs during Royal Welsh Show week now, for the same reason. 

I'm sick of trying to load gear in and out of what's basically a riot situation, then having to start swinging punches or Telecasters at punters who won't leave our singer alone.

Last year we had to have two security guys stood on the stage with her, but after the gig when I went to get my car there were four guys sat on it. I just got in and drove off, but I've had enough of it now, I'll end up in jail sooner or later just for trying to do my job. 

Life's too short. 
    Exactly this. If they don't respect you for what you do and sometimes give up to do then quite frankly they can jog on. Life is really too short to accommodate arseholes like this. I wouldn't wade in either as that will make you as low as them. Just don't do it. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Alnico said:
    Just take a Telecaster, you'll be fine !
    Any excuse to post this again...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:

Life's too short. 

Agree totally

It's one of the reasons I don't gig any more.

I played a gig where a pissed up punter climbed in the boot of my bandmates car while we were packing up and refused to get out. You just get tired of it after a while.
  • Professional? How many pubs/clubs/gigs have been cancelled on you without paying? Does the pub have a written contract with you ? Tell them you’ve doubled booked with somewhere else, but they pay twice as much money, and then let them negotiate.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    So did this gig happen?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We did an awards dinner at a GAA club when there was a big fight at the end. We had to wait well over an hour before we could load out.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Jetfire said:
    So did this gig happen?
    Sorry, I forgot to come back and update...!

The original gig was cancelled, much to the annoyance of our drummer. However, they then asked us to headline a festival in July (as in, last month), which we agreed to as it was at 3pm.

They mentioned it's outside, and they would provide a gazebo.

So, we rock up.... and there's no other bands playing. And it was the hottest day of the year. Oh, and there was no gazebo... which amounted to us playing for 3 hours in blazing sunshine in a pub car park, surrounded by (and being heckled by) a load of pikeys.

Needless to say, we won't be going back (even though they've requested us back).
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Didi it pay cash or was it done by bank transfer?
  • p90fool said:

Life's too short. 

Agree totally

It's one of the reasons I don't gig any more.

I played a gig where a pissed up punter climbed in the boot of my bandmates car while we were packing up and refused to get out. You just get tired of it after a while.
    @monquixote , the punter will get tired of it when he's dropped of at a lay-by, service station or inhospitable part of strange town at 3am...

... with no trousers!
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    FarleyUK said:
    Jetfire said:
    So did this gig happen?
    Sorry, I forgot to come back and update...!

The original gig was cancelled, much to the annoyance of our drummer. However, they then asked us to headline a festival in July (as in, last month), which we agreed to as it was at 3pm.

They mentioned it's outside, and they would provide a gazebo.

So, we rock up.... and there's no other bands playing. And it was the hottest day of the year. Oh, and there was no gazebo... which amounted to us playing for 3 hours in blazing sunshine in a pub car park, surrounded by (and being heckled by) a load of pikeys.

Needless to say, we won't be going back (even though they've requested us back).
    Lol, what a palaver!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Didi it pay cash or was it done by bank transfer?
    Cash.