SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD Roland JX-10

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6176
edited November 2019 in Studio & Rec £
Shortest honeymoon ever - 2 days! Short story - I rejigged the home setup and wanted a 6-octave master keyboard. Found this JX-10 - that'll do and I get a flagship bi-timbral analogue synthesizer to boot! Well, what the seller said was "tough aftertouch" is almost completely useless. I have to lean super-hard on it to get it to respond. This is a well-known issue. So it's no good for me, despite the most awesome tones.

How awesome, you ask? Well, it was Roland's last big analogue for the 1980s.That means iIt was designed to do a lot of FMish tones - using 3 types of cross mod - to compete with the DX7. This means it does all of those bells, percussion and EPs. But it's a proper old-fashioned analogue, too. See here:

It's two JX-8P synths in one box, so you get two layer or split 4 oscillators, 2 filters, 4 envelopes, 2 LFOs, etc.Everything else is fine, but without the aftertouch, it's not much use as a master keyboard for me.

Now, the good bits: it has the Vecoven 3.17 ROM installed, which means you can use it with modern editors for SYSEX. See here: http://www.vecoven.com/superjx/superjx.html and you can use the iPG-800 programmer with it for super-quick patch editing, see here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ipg-800/id542179981?mt=8 -

Good condition, just some minor marks on the surface.

Price: £750 (collection only from Cambridge)
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1278
    edited May 2019
    I have  Korg N264 which (I think) has good aftertouch, never really used it. But I am aware it's worth about half what the Roland is worth...not quite sure how that would work out. Sounds on the Korg are all a bit New Age if I remember correctly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14520
    goldtop said:
     Well, what the seller said was "tough aftertouch" is almost completely useless. I have to lean super-hard on it to get it to respond. This is a well-known issue. So it's no good for me, despite the most awesome tones.
    I just tested that on my JX-10 and almost knackered my tendons. Next, I tried working the JX10 Aftertouch via MIDI. That worked perfectly whenever aftertouch was programmed into a sound.

+1 for the Vecoven ROM chip upgrade. (I have the Colin Fraser jobbie.) I keep meaning to invest in a KiwiTechnics Patch Editor box - partly for myself and partly because it should work on my brother's KORG DW-8000.

The eventual purchaser of any JX-10 or MKS-70 would be well advised to obtain the Gordon Reid GR-101 patch set. (The Sound On Sound contributor, not one of several sports players!)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6176
    steven70 said:
    I have  Korg N264 which (I think) has good aftertouch, never really used it. But I am aware it's worth about half what the Roland is worth...not quite sure how that would work out. Sounds on the Korg are all a bit New Age if I remember correctly. 
    Would be useful as a master, but the voices would be redundant (there's an Integra 7 doing all of the ROMpling duties in the photo). Not sure - let me go do some research...

Hmmm @Funkfingers - a £50 used iPad with £5 iPG-800 should sort you out? I actually got a PG-800 programmer with this, but have advertised it separately elsewhere as it's in greater demand than the JX-10.

And, naturally, I thought of replacing both the Integra and JX with a 76-key Jupiter 50. But, those funny chaps at Roland didn't bother to put aftertouch on the Jupiter!
    goldtop said:
    a £50 used iPad with £5 iPG-800 should sort you out? 
    Now, that's what I call a helpful hint. Thank you. 

goldtop said:
    I actually got a PG-800 programmer with this, but have advertised it separately elsewhere
    Very wise. A few years ago, the PG was fetching almost as much as a JX10 without a PG and chip upgrade. The prices being asked for the plastic PG carry cases were obscene. 

goldtop said:
    I thought of replacing both the Integra and JX with a 76-key Jupiter 50. But, those funny chaps at Roland didn't bother to put aftertouch on the Jupiter!
    Something else in the range might do the job. On the other hand, the Integra crams a whole bunch of Roland history into one small container. About the only omissions a few things that only a JD-990 can do. In your position, I'd keep the Integra.

I retain my Roland XV-5080 because of its backwards-compatibility with my S-760 sound library. How many times have I actually loaded the old noises into the newer module? I forget. Not many.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33814
    Funkfingers said:
    I retain my Roland XV-5080 because of its backwards-compatibility with my S-760 sound library. How many times have I actually loaded the old noises into the newer module? I forget. Not many.
    FWIW I converted my old Roland library to Kontakt format a few years ago (probably 10 actually).
    Number of times I've actually used it- maybe 3-4.
    Oops. I've been impulsive, so no trades after all! :-/

(NKD later this week...)
    Bump.
    edited May 2019
    Now bumping with price drop to £800.

Plus, adding the following part-ex options:
    • hardtail dual-cutaway PRS SE
    • hardtail Strat copy HSS/HH/similar
    • interesting and compact analogue monosynth
    • Randall MTS preamp modules
    • Lexicon/Eventide 1U rack reverb (mid-range with AES/EBU input/output)
    On the guitars, repaired/player-grade is OK, as long as the frets are in good shape.

edited May 2019
    My enormous affection for the Roland JX-10 (and the previous owner of my example) does not extend quite far enough to require two of 'em. On the other hand, once you have found a buyer for yours, I may be able to assist with some of your part-ex list items.

Firstly, try HarrySeven for Randall MTS modules. Even if he does not possess any, he will know where they can be obtained.

Secondly, I have one PRS SE double cutaway electric guitar. I have an Ibanez RG200 (currently souped up with Oil City Scrapyard Dog Plus and Route 66 pickups). I have a Lexicon MPX-500 effect unit. Unfortunately, its digital output is restricted to S/PDIF in/out. I realise that this might not been adequate for your purposes.

If you still have the E-Mu Orbit 3, I might be interested in having it back.
    Missed your reply somehow, Mr F. Orbit 3 is long gone, part of the drive to downsize. I miss it sometimes, because the Roland Integra 7 is a lot more polite.

And in other news: the price for the JX-10 synth is now £750.
    goldtop said:
    Orbit 3 is long gone, part of the drive to downsize. I miss it sometimes, because the Roland Integra 7 is a lot more polite. 
    If the Integra has any of the dedicated JD-990 presets from the old SRJV-80-04 Vintage Synth expansion board, try those. :)
    Bumping and now this is a cash-only sale.
    edited October 2019
    goldtop said:
    "tough aftertouch"
    Google just found this. https://supersynthprojects.com/roland-superjx-maintenance/jx10-aftertouch/ My brother's KORG DW-8000 requires similar attention.

The SSP site includes links to some interesting programmer devices for Eighties synthesizers.
  • my newly acquired D-50's aftertouch is also shot! 
    Bump for a price-drop and a repost of the Youtube demo video that is borked in my OP:

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18895
    Didn't think you could advertise such things in the classifieds...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom