Anyone done a Tough Mudder?

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
For anyone who has done one, just how hard are the obstacles? Was it fun?
I’m looking to do the Yorkshire one at the end of July but don’t yet know anyone who has done one.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    edited May 2019
    octatonic said:
    Nope, but I have friends who are mad for them.
    Whenever they talk about them I mention this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11707974/1000-runners-infected-with-norovirus-at-muddy-obstacle-course-race-in-France.html
    Lol, is that the hidden final obstacle?!
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If people want to have a gruelling physical experience and eat some shit why can't they visit a mistress like any normal person?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    To be honest if i'd wanted to crawl on my belly through shit, swim through freezing water and run through flames i'd have joined the Marines!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My wife has done a few, looked a piece  of piss to be honest . If it wasn’t for my perforated eardrum I would have joined her.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    To be honest if i'd wanted to crawl on my belly through shit, swim through freezing water and run through flames i'd have joined the Marines!
    How about because one takes 90min and the other takes at least 5years! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

My wife has done a few, looked a piece  of piss to be honest . If it wasn’t for my perforated eardrum I would have joined her.
    Really? Is it just he marketing that makes it sound scary/hard?
  • In all seriousness the wife coped easily with them. She runs slow but steady and knocks out the odd half marathon a year. The obstacles she said were easy and she isn’t tall , I’d say go for it what is the worst that can happen you can pick up Norovirus anywhere. 
    BigMonka said:

My wife has done a few, looked a piece  of piss to be honest . If it wasn’t for my perforated eardrum I would have joined her.
    Really? Is it just he marketing that makes it sound scary/hard?
    If you can run 3-5 miles without stopping them you should be fine.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    If you want a tough running race then check these guys out https://whitestarrunning.co.uk/ 

Like @octatonic says, if you can run a comfortable 5k you can run a tough mudder.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    I know many that have done these and despite being able to run 5-10km they have very little upper body strength. They cope well with the obstacles. Just take your time and it'll be fine. Any you can't do just walk around.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2580
    Vastly over-priced and likely to be full of office staff out rolling about in the mud in the name of team building. No thanks.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    Bear in mind, I think you have too crawl through pipes and stuff, which is not happy if you don't like confined spaces. 

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited May 2019
    ewal said:
    Vastly over-priced and likely to be full of office staff out rolling about in the mud in the name of team building. No thanks.
    I always thought white collar duelling would be an interesting team building exercise.
    ...or Russian Roulette...reckon I should be in marketing.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12314
    steven70 said:
    ewal said:
    I always thought white collar duelling would be an interesting team building exercise.
    ...or Russian Roulette...reckon I should be in marketing.
    Two people in a pit, new weapons thrown in sporadically.  Doesn't need to be white collar, illegal immigrants, prisoners.  Would be a PPV hit.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9505
    I did one earlier, and Im fairly certain it was last night's curry...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited May 2019
    Re; that French one, I note the article says 30 people complained of suffering from Norovirus *On the Day*.

Ummm… They didn't catch norovirus 20 minutes earlier. They already had it, brought it to the race, someone had the runs or threw up in the water, then thousands of people lunged head-first into that same water, gasping in mouthfuls of it.

Anyways. I did a tough mudder about 3 years ago. It wasn't too bad. Did some running beforehand but nothing serious, and was surprised how non-fatal it felt to do. The toughest part of the obstacles were the walls - I have the upper body strength of a walker's crisp.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Cirrus said:
    Re; that French one, I note the article says 30 people complained of suffering from Norovirus *On the Day*.

Ummm… They didn't catch norovirus 20 minutes earlier. They already had it, brought it to the race, someone had the runs or threw up in the water, then thousands of people lunged head-first into that same water, gasping in mouthfuls of it.
    What an image
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11869
    I think these races appeal to a niche market for psychological reasons, some people like to suffer a bit. Our neighbour does them, and he revels in the discomfort.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6666
    edited May 2019
    ..... and have some sadistic twat shouting at me the whole time? I'd feel like I was in my own private nightmare version of "Whiplash".