NK(+s)D

What's Hot
Impulse buy alert! Last week, I thought I'd found a perfect 76-key synth+controller in the JX-10, but alas ... no (see for sale thread!). So what else? Didn't want a 'mute' controller, as I prefer to be tweaking real controls on an actual synth than using virtual controls two operate a module.

So I went looking for a 76-key synth with as many hands-on controls and flexibility as possible. And - once I'd realised that the Nord Stage series had a built-in synth engine - I ended up here:

Needless to say, re the JX-10, it's a cheese/chalk situation. The A1-ish synth engine is great though, with FM and format/etc oscillators, and there's a big sample memory within it, including Mellotron stuff and a big online library. And that's before the dedicated Piano and Organ sections. And there are two of each (6 timbres). And I get a free set of drawbars. Dedicated leslie controls, FX and amp sim sections. All be-knobbed.

The pianos are also beautiful, too. It's got the 'waterfall' style key, but it's got a great feel. Big step up from the semi-weighted synth type I'm used to. Haven't hooked it up to the Integra yet, but I'm sure they'll play nice.

(Anyway, go and buy my JX-10!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Very nice. I was thinking of a stage 3 compact as my next live rig major upgrade, but am now planning on keeping my electro 5d and adding a kurzweil pc4 when it comes out.

Love my electro though, and find the waterfall keybed fine to play piano on as well as organ / synth. I guess the stage is a slightly different feel as it has aftertouch too, but probably similar.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    I think I'd ignored the Stage/Electro because I got the wrong idea about the target market. But a top quality piano and flexible synth with FX and lots of controls for everything was impossible to ignore. I dithered about a Kurzweil for a long time now, but always been put off by that OS.

For me, the Stage 3's organ layers are a bonus. I never really fiddled with drawbars on any ROMpler's organ patch - it just seemed too hit and miss via menus. But having them right there is heaps of fun. Just got to learn me some Hammond chops now! :)
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    The electro is much much more limited on synth than the stage, but from v5 onwards can cover some basic ground at least, and the mellotron flutes are great.

I pair my electro with a sledge for a crowded house tribute, with a px5s for a bon Jovi tribute, and then use it on its own for other stuff. The kurzweil could replace the sledge and px5s functions for me in one better unit, and I have some other stuff for home synth noodling. The kurz will take some boring prep though to set up what I'll want from it, and won't be 'fun' in the same way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Suits YOU, sir. :)

goldtop said:
    I never really fiddled with drawbars on any ROMpler's organ patch - it just seemed too hit and miss via menus. But having them right there is heaps of fun. Just got to learn me some Hammond chops now! :)
    Crib liberally from Steve Winwood, Booker T Jones and Jimmy Smith.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Good idea. The neighbours will soon be bored of my John Lord impressions.