Jazzmaster. Alternatives to vintage style tuners?

What's Hot
Hi all. Another Jazzmaster query. I have a neck with tuner bushing hole measurements as follows: 8.6mm / .0340”

I'm not too sure what size I should be looking for. I may have to go for vintage style tuners if I have to, but are there any modern style tuners that would fit the above measurements?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    Any, if you have a reamer!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    I suppose so... 
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 628
    Assuming your dislike of the vintage ones is to do with the way they work and not the way they look, Gotoh Vintage Locking might be the answer. I had them on a 50s CP Strat and thought they were good.

You'd soon get used to the standard vintage style, though.
    @barnstorm yep, it's the way they work. I'd prefer modern ones if I could choose, but I could live with vintage ones if it comes to it. Just exploring my options now.
    You should get on with the Gotohs, then.
    barnstorm said:
    You should get on with the Gotohs, then.
    Silly question, but I see a few options? Which would be the best?
    Not sure of the Gotoh product code as they were fitted as standard to the CP 50s, but these are the ones:

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    How do you not prefer split post tuners?
    Super simply to use and no sharp string ends to catch on anything.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Hipshot make modern-style locking tuners that fit vintage-size holes.

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Hipshot-Griplock-Machine-heads-Set-Vintage-p/6k1vel0.htm
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    FatPete said:
    Hipshot make modern-style locking tuners that fit vintage-size holes.

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Hipshot-Griplock-Machine-heads-Set-Vintage-p/6k1vel0.htm
    Measurements on the neck I have are 8.6mm. I take it then that 8.5mm spec tuners would be the wrong option?
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    edited May 2019
    This. Gotoh split post for the win. Poke it down the hole and away you go, fnar fnar. Easy and rock solid. I've done the locking, staggered thing, but am back to simple split posts with a (lubed) string tree and I've never been happier.
    Lebarque said:
    This. Gotoh split post for the win. Poke it down the hole and away you go, fnar fnar. Easy and rock solid. I've done the locking, staggered thing, but am back to simple split posts with a (lubed) string tree and I've never been happier.
    So, as posted earlier, these might be the ones?

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Gotoh_Locking_Vintage_Oval_Knob_6-In-Line_Tuners.html
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Lebarque said:
    I've done the locking, staggered thing but am back to simple split posts with a (lubed) string tree and I've never been happier.
    What he said.

Locking 'heads will secure your strings at the headstock end. They can do nothing to improve the shenanigans at the bridge/tailpiece end.

I have a set of Kluson MLV6LN locking 'heads. They fit the vintage drilled holes and, from a distance, look like the vintage items EXCEPT the string posts are quite a bit taller. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Lebarque said:
    So, as posted earlier, these might be the ones?

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Gotoh_Locking_Vintage_Oval_Knob_6-In-Line_Tuners.html
    They don't work like vintage tuners at all. Although it looks like a split post on those pics, it isn't; there's just a groove across the top of the post into which you can stick a coin or a screwdriver head to release the string. You push the string through the hole just below the top of the post and as you start winding a rod rises inside the post and locks the string.

andy1839's guitar in the classifieds shows it well:

It tends to be the first experience of changing the high E that puts people off vintage tuners, but the design is inherently a good one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Buy gotoh. They will be much cheaper and easily as good
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited May 2019
    @meltedbuzzbox These are the only ones I can find, which look to be more expensive than the Fender ones.... https://www.thomann.de/ie/gotoh_sd91_mg_t_n.htm

I'm not even too sure if these would be the right type? Edit: On closer inspection, yes they would be fine.
    Tonnes on eBay with a more traditional kluson styling.

How much are the fenders?
    @meltedbuzzbox Fenders are around $50.
    That's surprisingly cheap. They will be more than adequate