SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED.

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
edited November 2014 in Personnel
Now have two drummers & two bass players!

No Idea how I managed this...

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    edited September 2014
    Bass monkey needed

Spread the word people.

edited September 2014
    Sorted a drummer.

edited September 2014
    Still looking 

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    Ask Julian Piper - he's a good bluesy rock guitarist and well networked.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Head down to one of the jams... i know alot of bands have completed their lineups through the Sorry Head Thursday nights! Disclaimer... i used to run it, but not anything to do with it anymore!
    I know the Sorry Head is 'the place' to go. Our Singer keeps going on about it.

Will try to at some point.

• Looking for bass monkey now.

Have found a drummer.

• Must be able to play with a pick and have own gear.

We sound a bit like this...

These are the demos that got the band together. Looking to re-record these and about 20 other tracks too. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    edited September 2014
    It might help if you were to consider the bass player as a person with ideas to contribute rather than a bass monkey.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • No we need a bass monkey.

There are no real people in the band.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Are you real then? Please enlighten me about bass monkey.... Thanks
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited September 2014
    Looks a lot like this one.

Has own pro gear and can lock into rest of rhythm section.

Needs to be able to use a plectrum.

No 'metal heads'

Pro gear and again needs to be a pick player. 

We have our own private rehearsal space and are looking to record an EP for radio play. 

Have great industry contacts as well.

• What if he can use a plectrum but decides he prefers to play with his fingers?

Would you tell the drummer that he must play with brushes?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    What if he can use a plectrum but decides he prefers to play with his fingers?

Would you tell the drummer that he must play with brushes?
    We'd kick our drummer out the band if 'he' even mentioned brushes.

Not being funny, but we need a player that can play a bass well to a high standard and that can use a plectrum.

Like if I wanted a slide player then I wouldn't expect to hire a classical guitar player that wanted to play with their fingers and no slide.

A little bit if metal or plastic has a huge affect on sound.

The sound we desire is based around a plectrum. Thats why I state it so clearly. 

Its a skill to play bass well with a pick and I over the last 27 years of being in bands have met and played with a lot of bass players that just cannot do it well. So that is why I'm being upfront about the fact.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As a bassist of 25 years experience (competent with fingers, pick and slap) I do understand the difference in sounds that each of these options can bring. A slide guitar comparison is not valid - it's a different instrument.

But as for the job - Sounds like you want someone who will do as they are told and nothing else.

That's cool of course if that's what you need, and you might find someone who is entirely happy to just be out playing. On the other hand when you combine that with the "Monkey" insult it sounds like you want an obedient employee to be in your control and that means getting paid. After 25 years there isn't much I can't play (Vic Wooten excepted!) but the tone of the ad would make me reject it completely, unless it was a paid gig.

I have no doubt you meant it with humour, but for any new forumite who hasn't read your other posts, it just makes you look like a bit of a tool and belittles the very people you are looking for. That might be why you haven't found anyone yet.

Bassists and drummers are often in more than 1 band. They are in demand and can pick and choose. As a long time bassist with several hundred gigs behind me in many different genres I can tell you there is nothing in your ad that would make me choose it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like we would never get on. So probably for the best.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like the 296 other views / people who read the ad since May wouldn't get on with you either.

Not counting those who just saw the title and didn't bother to read it at all.

You could put the same advert up on the excellent personnel section on Basschat and have even more people ignore it. 

Or you could say "Excellent band looking for excellent bass player" and actually get people excited about the gig, and that they would be valued.

Anyway, I've said my piece and I'll say no more. I have to get my kit ready for tomorrow's rehearsal. It's an orchestra / big band gig and I'll be using pick, fingers, slap and even the bow.
  • Enjoy your rehearsal fella.

I've got to go meet two guys that play bass  this weekend and then arrange a time to audition / play with them. 

Hopefully one of them will fit the bill.

One is a pro musician that has toured the world and played on a few top 10 artist albums. The other fella is a Londoner like me, so hopefully we'll have something in common. Nothing worse than being in a band with people you have nothing in common with. So a few beers and a social for me this weekend, then off to the studio to do some work.

• Neither are monkeys then?

Can't have read the ad.
  • One definitely is as we've recorded together at mine loads of times before.

Luckily he can use a pick like  a pro, he can slap and play with his 'monkey like' fingers too. Just got to work out if he can fit us in in-between working with Richie Sambora and looking after his family.