Irongear pickups.

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
I've just ordered a Dimarzio tone zone to have something with a bit more bass for my Jackson. However would an Irongear Rolling Mill be a decent choice too? Only considering because they're so cheap and I've heard nothing but good things
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    Definitely worth a punt. I've had a range of their humbuckers in many guitars but personally the pick of the range are the Tesla Sharks.
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    I have a rolling mill overwound in the bridge of my practise guitar (Ibanez S470) and am super happy with it.

The standard rolling mill in the neck - not quite so happy but still impressive for the money.

I would definitely buy Irongear products again.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Would the Rolling Mill be instead of the ToneZone, or in the neck with the TZ in the bridge? Asking as they are pretty different types of pickups, quality aside. TZ will be a fair bit hotter, more mids too.  I would think the Irongear Hot Slag would be closer (actually closer to a JB, but in that hot-rodded HB ballpark).

Quality-wise, Irongear stuff is good.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4156
    They are fantastic. Used loads of them.

Really like the combo of a Hot Slag at the bridge, and Rolling Mill in the neck position.

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    Would the Rolling Mill be instead of the ToneZone, or in the neck with the TZ in the bridge? Asking as they are pretty different types of pickups, quality aside. TZ will be a fair bit hotter, more mids too.  I would think the Irongear Hot Slag would be closer (actually closer to a JB, but in that hot-rodded HB ballpark).

Quality-wise, Irongear stuff is good.
    It's to replace the Bill Lawrence L500XL which is a bit too bright for the guitar. I bought the Tone Zone having been familiar with it but thought maybe the over wound Rolling mill would be a good alternative 
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    I have a rolling mill overwound in the bridge of my practise guitar (Ibanez S470) and am super happy with it.

The standard rolling mill in the neck - not quite so happy but still impressive for the money.

I’ve got exact this combination in my Jazz blaster. I could record you a demo if you want?
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    Simon_M said:

I’ve got exact this combination in my Jazz blaster. I could record you a demo if you want?
    Thanks Simon, I may just need to tinker a little with pickup height and pole adjustment as to quote Roy Walker "it's good but its not right" 

• baldybaldy Frets: 195

i have the Hot Slag/Rolling Mill combo in a guitar & prefer the tone to the Seymour Duncan JB/59 I have in another guitar.
    The Hot Slag is similar to the JB but slightly less scooped & the Rolling Mill has more punch & bottom end to my ears than the 59.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    I’ve not tried the Rolling Mill but have used other Iron Gear pickups and have always been amazed at how good they are . Very high quality for a stupidity low price.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4204
    I've used several Irongear pickups and they've all been good. I've got a pair of Metal Machines in my Charvel at the moment and they're very very close in sound to active pickups. Probably not what you're after though!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    While I have this thread going. Returning pickups, can they be returned after you've soldered them but not cut the wire? As in, tried them out in a guitar but didn't like it, unsoldered and repackaged?
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 913
    Stevepage said:
    While I have this thread going. Returning pickups, can they be returned after you've soldered them but not cut the wire? As in, tried them out in a guitar but didn't like it, unsoldered and repackaged?
    Some of the pickup builders on here would allow it but I don't think it's the norm so i'd check with the folks that sell Irongear.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Simon_M said:

Thanks Simon, I may just need to tinker a little with pickup height and pole adjustment as to quote Roy Walker "it's good but its not right" 
    @paulphoenix My mistake there, I was supposed to offer to the OP so he could hear them but quoted the wrong thing! Oops! Haha.

@Stevepage - see above.
    Thanks everyone. I've just installed the Overwound Rolling Mill in my Jackson Soloist. I love it. Quality overall is great and it's done exactly what I wanted. So I'll be returning the Dimarzio Tone Zone I've still got boxed up and staying with the Iron Gear. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    Glad you are happy with the Irongear.
    They really are fantastic pickups for the money.
    Good result!
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    The local guitar shop has a few of the Irongear pickups in stock, was tempted as sometimes I find the US SCN Fender pickups in my MM Tele a little underwhelming. But I'm assuming they won't be quite the same quality as the Fender US pickups? 

*I say 'US Pickups' because when I bought them they were apparently what were fitted as standard to US standard Teles. This was around 2008 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    You may be surprised. Ultimately it depends on what you mean by "quality". If you mean assembly/fit&finish, the two Irongears I have are absolutely fine - super clean and very similar to any aftermarket pickup by mass US winders.

If it's more sound-wise, that's obviously quite suggestive. Again, the ones I have are not muddier/less defined/noisier than typical aftermarket pickups either. YMMV of course, depending on the tone and qualities you are after.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 952
    edited May 2019
    You may be surprised. Ultimately it depends on what you mean by "quality". If you mean assembly/fit&finish, the two Irongears I have are absolutely fine - super clean and very similar to any aftermarket pickup by mass US winders.

If it's more sound-wise, that's obviously quite suggestive. Again, the ones I have are not muddier/less defined/noisier than typical aftermarket pickups either. YMMV of course, depending on the tone and qualities you are after.
    Yeah, sonic quality is what I was referring to, sorry - I'd be looking at a slightly hotter single coil at the neck of the Tele and maybe a stacked/singlecoil-shaped humbucker at the bridge, but a fairly low output one. Just wondered how they compared with offerings from Seymour Duncan, Fender etc. 

Also whether to replace to alright-but-not-astounding pickups in my Ibanez ARZ200 with Iron Gear humbuckers. I think the stock Ibanez ones are called 'Classic Elite'. No idea what the general consensus on those is. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    Certainly dont look like cheap crap to me. They look no different from a Seymour Duncan. And at £25 for a single coil you're not going to lose out too much if you don't like it