Bone nut for acoustic

What's Hot
So, last weekend the nut on my tanglewood acoustic chipped and has taken the low E completely out so I want to atempt replacing it myself, but the question is; is a bone nut acceptable on an acoustic and where would I buy it from please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Not only would a bone nut be "acceptable" on an acoustic guitar of any price, it should also bring an improvement in tone over the Tanglewood stock plastic item.

For a 3x3 headstock, on which the strings flare out across the nut towards the tuners, it is probably wisest to work from a nut blank.

Your local guitar shop might have bone blank nuts. They are available via mail order from guitar parts suppliers. If you can stand the smell, you could cut your own blank from bone obtained from a butcher.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whereabouts are you? I have a couple of spare blanks you can take to have a play with if you like?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    Bone is generally accepted as being the best material for the nut on any guitar, especially acoustic.

Many modern guitars use plastic nuts, but the good ones are almost all a type of plastic that's trying to emulate the hardness and low friction of bone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    Thanks guys, @stephen.wood125 I'll message you :)