Ampmaker/other champ style kit just as chassis if you’re careful?

noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 797
edited May 2019 in Making & Modding
I quite fancy having a go at the most basic Ampmaker chassis, maybe with a view to building a full-on 5e3 further down the line if it goes well, but getting the head/combo cab alongside it makes it less of a spontaneous prospect.

(I’d be using my 1x12 combo as a cab, obviously)

Is the chassis on its own reasonably safe to use if you’re careful to avoid touching the exposed valves, or is there a significant risk of getting zapped?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    edited May 2019
    As long as you fix the open exposed rear to plywood and the valves are mounted top of chassis like a head format then im thinking you are good  The valves sticking out back are still ok but a bit of a fire hazard perhaps. Not a shock hazard though. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    edited May 2019
    My Ampmaker N5X is currently “naked” but is not in use since I built a P1800. I powered it up like that for a very brief test but I wouldn’t use it for any length of time. As pointed out above, the dangerous part is the 400-odd Volts dc that is exposed on the open underside.

Thinking of getting a head cab for mine actually, £150 doesn’t sound too bad really.

BTW - you know that Ampmaker is closed until the autumn, right?
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 797
    edited May 2019
    My Ampmaker N5X is currently “naked” but is not in use since I built a P1800. I powered it up like that for a very brief test but I wouldn’t use it for any length of time. As pointed out above, the dangerous part is the 400-odd Volts dc that is exposed on the open underside.

Thinking of getting a head cab for mine actually, £150 doesn’t sound too bad really.

BTW - you know that Ampmaker is closed until the autumn, right?
    Thanks both for the info. Actually if I plan for a build at the end of this year then a head cab or even small combo might be more easily affordable. I’d be tempted to ask if a chrome panel and tweed covering would be possible though.

How did you find the N5X and P1800 builds - presumably enjoyable enough to do a second one! Did you find the second one easier despite being more complex?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    edited May 2019

I ran into a couple more problems with the P1800, not because it's inherently more difficult, but because there are more components to assemble there is simply more potential for a mistake to creep in. I find this with building pedals as well. Will definitely be doing more, probably a Tweed Fender of some sort next. Have a look at the Tweed Champ kit from Modulus Amps - simple circuit, chrome panel and tweed cab.

Links to N5X and P1800 builds.