Short scale fretless ?

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
Having sold my Ric, I’m on the lookout for a short scale fretless. I’ve played long, medium and short scale and have settled on short as the easiest to manage but there doesn’t seem like a great deal of choice at 30.5”. I currently have a fretless Harley Benton violin bass that works okay so i’m in no hurry to make a purchase but it would be handy to know what to look for.

The Supro Huntington fretless has a good spec, inc a piezo; the battleship grey finish (they call it flat black) isn’t appealing but I could live with it if it plays well. Hofner do a fretless violin but the ultra narrow neck, floating bridge and price are a challenge.

Are there any others I should consider? Recommendations and personal experience (esp of Supro) would be very welcome. Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Short scale fretless bass guitar is not common. You might do better to buy a pre-owned fretted instrument in “project” condition then, defret it yourself. 
    Be seeing you.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Short scale fretless bass guitar is not common. You might do better to buy a pre-owned fretted instrument in “project” condition then, defret it yourself. 
    You may be right. I did find an old fretted EB-3 that I considered buying and defretting but it seemed a bit sacrilegious.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23930
    JezWynd said:
    You may be right. I did find an old fretted EB-3 that I considered buying and defretting but it seemed a bit sacrilegious.
    The Epi versions are great fun.

I had one a few years ago - got it for £170!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23930
    Chowny make great short scales.

Bass Direct carry them. No idea if they do a fretless, but the company owner is on Bass Chat. Could ask him.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Chowny make great short scales.

Bass Direct carry them. No idea if they do a fretless, but the company owner is on Bass Chat. Could ask him.
    Thanks for the info. Good call btw, I'll definitely check this one out -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom