Les Paul Studio refinish help

What's Hot
Hi all, just after a little help as I’ve hit a bit of a wall on refinishing. 

I’ve started sanding down the top of my LP Studio Faded T ready to either stain and oil or to shoot a solid colour (undecided as yet). 

I’m just wondering about some of the streaks in the maple - I’ve managed to get rid of a lot of the finish (will be removing the bridge posts later and sanding more) but am wondering how I can get through to the more ‘golden’ streaks (I assume this is the unfinished maple).

Sanding isn’t doing much at this point so I’m open to ideas on how to shift it - is it a sanding sealer? 

Also if I do go for a solid colour would it just be a matter of sanding back a bit more, shooting primer and colour?

Thanks! Pictures below for clarification. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ej4JFPx
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Hi
    Just a bit more graft, I'm afraid - I'm pretty sure I can see a pinky tinge in most areas.

The sanding gets tougher because now you are through the soft finish and now starting to get to the hard maple...

I never try to do this in one go - I give it a rest, frequently renew the abrasive paper and keep coming back to it.  It seems like nothing is happening, but it is...and you will get there relatively quickly.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    Thanks Andy - yeah I think probably a giving it a rest and coming back will help! Tempted to get some
    Nitromors and do the back and sides as well now...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    jdbwales said:
    Thanks Andy - yeah I think probably a giving it a rest and coming back will help! Tempted to get some
    It’s a nitro finish... acetone will get it off really easy... nail varnish remover!... The finish will just wipe off.
    poopot said:
    jdbwales said:
    It’s a nitro finish... acetone will get it off really easy... nail varnish remover!... The finish will just wipe off.
    I started off using lacquer thinners on a rag but they didn’t seem to do much to be honest!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    jdbwales said:
    poopot said:
    jdbwales said:
    I started off using lacquer thinners on a rag but they didn’t seem to do much to be honest!
    Acetone will strip it... thinners will take a while longer...
    poopot said:
    jdbwales said:
    poopot said:
    jdbwales said:
    Sod’s law really! Right, I’ll give that a shot....ta!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is a pretty good solvent for lacquer. It's less volatile than acetone so sticks round longer to get into the finish.