The Brutalist Carnival

Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

A new name for the same old tosh - this time mostly made with pedals I've built myself :)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

Track Two:

Track three:

• historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    I think I've said before that some of your stuff would make great film music (or maybe I meant to & didn't post it) Anyway, it would. Particularly like track 3.

Did you do the rather excellent paintings?

The excellent paintings are by Simon Stalenhag - http://www.simonstalenhag.se/index.html

I've only used small sections in the hope I don't get told off for using them ;)
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Paul, you need to do a video (GoPro or just phone camera in the corner or something) of you while you create these pieces. I'd love to see it. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs

Heh - I'm not sure there's usually much to see :)

As I've said, the process of creating a track usually involves one or two 30 - 40 minute wav files from which I pick out a few interesting bits (and usually avoid all the moments where I make poor note choices, cough or mutter to myself) and muck about with them in Audacity.
    The bass and drums usually come from Music Radar's free stuff, chicken noises etc. from YouTube.

Often I like slowing at least one track right down (and lowering the pitch at the same time) as it changes the detail of what the effect/s do to the guitar sound, and as I don't play to a click track or any other rhythm I rarely try to make the guitar bits sync. up (often I deliberately make things sound out of sync to mess with the listener's perception of a "beat").

What might sound like a delay pedal is more often a stereo track split to two mono tracks panned right and left and then played one slightly behind the other - as much to fill out the sound and make it more interesting to listen to. 

But nothing is set in stone, it's very dependent on what I'm working with and whether or not I'm feeling enthusiastic about it :)

This is the last track from The Brutalist Carnival, ten tracks all around 5 minutes in length. I may well do what I did with the Sonic Koalas stuff last year and delete the raw wave files. I definitely need a new scale to play with :)

• Had a look at the Simon Stalenhag site. Very impressive, & the sheer volume of them to create a story, wow. I know it's daily m*il territory & probably reveals some fundamental aesthetic void in my soul, but I look at these & look at the usual Turner Prize winners & think "f*ck's sake..."
    Sorry for the digression. They are a good match for your songs. Like track 10 above too.