New guitar: Gibson SG Junior - review

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
edited May 2019 in Guitar
Took delivery of one of the new 2019 Gibson SG Juniors a couple of days ago; here's my thoughts. Fit and finish are very good, no finish flaws and the colour is a lovely transparent cherry red that shows the grain of the nicely matched 2 piece body really well.

The stock wraparound bridge has the typical "lean" (see pic) due to the bridge posts having too much space in the groove where the bridge slides in. I have fitted some TonePros locking studs and it now sits level and is very snug. String alignment didn't look quite right out if the box but after a new set of strings they fall into place to give perfect side to side string alignment with both outer strings equal distance from the edge of the fretboard.

The first thing that strikes you when you pick up an SG or any kind after not having played one for a long while is the forward shifted to the left the playing position for your right hand is, due to the neck having no overlap onto the body like a Les Paul. It feels weird at first but after day or so I have adjusted and don't notice it now.

Intonation is really pretty good for a wraparound, even with .011s and I have no desire to change to a compensated bridge. Pots and pickup are all hand soldered with the pots mounted straight onto the wood of the cavity, no PCB here. Pots are volume taper and feel every bit as good as on  a Custom Shop Gibson.

You get a nice brown case and a little bag with a manual, polishing cloth, a cheapish strap, a little multi-tool a QA check list signed and a photo from the setup bench. My guitar was completed on 22nd February 2019.

The dog ear P90 is a bit of a beast, it's lively, raw and little louder than the P90s in my '68 Reissue LP Goldtop. I haven't got a multi-meter here so can't check the resistance but it feels a little hotter than the Les Paul.

The body is thin and the whole guitar is very, very light. Tuning was a bit wobbly with the new set of strings fitted by the dealer but with some .011s and some nut sauce it's now stable. The tuners feel small with the tiny buttons, I prefer the fuller size green key Klusons but I'll stick with these small buttons for now. 

It's a great sounding guitar driven, with a nice mid-rangey grind and fat tones when bending lead notes on the top strings, and, to my surprise really nice clean, I lost a couple of hours earlier noodling away on the clean channel with some tremelo and a wash of reverb. 

It's a real fun guitar to grab down off the wall, light and easy to play, no piddling around with different pickups, you just get on with playing.

Good stuff from Gibson.

Pics:

The original bridge studs with the "lean"

With the TonePros studs:

Photo from the factory:

Gratuitous Goldtop pic:

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Very, very nice. Good review too. Enjoy! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    The tasteful trio
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Great review.  I'm definitely going to buy one of those new tobacco Juniors, and hope it will live up to expectations.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    bodhi said:
    Great review.  I'm definitely going to buy one of those new tobacco Juniors, and hope it will live up to expectations.
    I think I may have gone for the LP Jr if there were any around, the initial batch have sold out everywhere though! I'm happy with the SG Jr though, it's a little beast.

• bloomerbloomer Frets: 208
    great review - what's the advantage of the correcting the lean with the tonepro studs? Maybe I'll do same with mine.
    p.s how do you find the neck? It's a tiny bit chunkier than I was expecting on mine.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    Lovely guitar. QC under JC still has a little way to go then.....
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Very nice. Congrats
    bloomer said:
    great review - what's the advantage of the correcting the lean with the tonepro studs? Maybe I'll do same with mine.
    bloomer said:
    p.s how do you find the neck? It's a tiny bit chunkier than I was expecting on mine.
    The advantage with the TonePros studs is mainly aesthetic in that the bridge looks better without the lean plus when you take the strings off the bridge won't fall off it stays locked in place making restringing easier.

I like chunky necks, The SG Jr neck is slim by all accounts, I wouldn't want any thinner.

Im still a bit concerned over tuning stability, I put new .011 strings on last night and lube'd the nut so will see over next couple of days. If it doesn't settle I may change the tuners, they don't feel as high quality as I would like.

edited May 2019
    NelsonP said:
    Why do you say that? The issue with the bridge is design and is period correct I think, the originals were like that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! It's certainly the same as a wrap-over bridge on an early 2000s batwing guard SG Jr I played years ago.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    NelsonP said:
    Why do you say that? The issue with the bridge is design and is period correct I think, the originals were like that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong! It's certainly the same as a wrap-over bridge on an early 2000s batwing guard SG Jr I played years ago.
    Oh,  didn't realise that.  So the leaning bridge is by design? It just looks so much better withe the tonepros....
    NelsonP said:
    Oh,  didn't realise that.  So the leaning bridge is by design? It just looks so much better with the tonepros....
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited May 2019
    A friend of mine used to own an original 61 Les Paul/SG Junior. Though I don’t think I could ever own one (the shape is just too ‘rock’ for me) it was one of the very best sounding electric guitars I’ve ever played. 

Yours looks very nicely made. You just need to fit a P90 to your Martin now....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Love that Jnr. Really nice to hear your initial findings too! Cheers for posting the review.

Hope the tuning settles down for you. Mine seems ok so far despite the nut being pretty roughly finished with no attempt to polish and remove tool marks the actual slots are cut fine. Whilst slim on mine too, the neck is noticeably thicker than the slim taper on my 335. Had a look on the wildwood website and some are coming out as 0.94" at the 12th so possible mines at thicker end of the range.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    Love it!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Looks great - tuning stability isn’t something SG’s excel at in my experience, may have to get used to that bit. 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Some 25 years ago I was loaned a battered old SG Junior whilst my guitar was being fixed. It was an amazing little guitar and I wish that I’d never given it back. I really have to try one of the new ones they look great.
  • Looks like Gibson have pulled up their socks for this run of guitars. Dropping the price a little and tidying up some qc issues is literally a they needed to do!
    Guitar dealer and G.A.S merchant by day: www.vibrocaster.com 
      Blues/rock singer & guitarist by night: www.alexhamiltonguitar.com

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Proper guitar!  HNGD.